Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

i am 47 and though i don't live in a trailer park (always lived in a studio apt in a nice bldg and nice area), i have a good job and there have been times when i have been in situations like this man. in fact this guy's got me beat, during times of hardship at least he can date someone and talk about his situation--i simply choose not to date anyone

times have changed i wish things were simpler like back in my parents days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 11:26 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I have no problem being the breadwinner. I know of several women who are, and they are in happy relationships. I disagree that it is a man's "role" to earn more money. If a guy's ego can't handle it when a woman is successful that is his problem. Most men have no problem dating a woman who earns much less, but a lot of women seem to get quite uptight if the situation is reversed.
Being the "breadwinner" was not the issue in the OP, at least I did not take it that way. I earned quite a bit more than my husband, throughout our marriage, and it didn't bother me a bit. I believe it bothered him though. However, he was on decent enough financial ground and certainly did not live paycheck to paycheck.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:29 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i am 47 and though i don't live in a trailer park (always lived in a studio apt in a nice bldg and nice area), i have a good job and there have been times when i have been in situations like this man. in fact this guy's got me beat, during times of hardship at least he can date someone and talk about his situation--i simply choose not to date anyone

times have changed i wish things were simpler like back in my parents days
Look, rlr, waiting for a check to clear also means the guy doesn't even have a credit card. Otherwise, he could surely use it and pay it a few days later.

Last edited by sierraAZ; 07-18-2009 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-18-2009, 11:42 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I'm approaching this from this frame of mind:

I make a pretty decent wage, got my shyt together financially, but, what if I ever decide to "downgrade" my job, say get something less stressful. That of course means less money.

Does that make me less of a man or less of a good "catch"??

I'm not sure about that really. I get the point about having enough money for a certain standard of living

But....

Old 07-18-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm approaching this from this frame of mind:

I make a pretty decent wage, got my shyt together financially, but, what if I ever decide to "downgrade" my job, say get something less stressful. That of course means less money.

Does that make me less of a man or less of a good "catch"??

I'm not sure about that really. I get the point about having enough money for a certain standard of living

But....
Lots of people make a conscious decision to "downgrade" their lifestyle, but not to the degree where they would have to live paycheck to paycheck. It's one thing to be "carefree" and have few bills to be concerned about. It's quite another to have every little bump in the road throw you into financial distress.

And it depends on where you are in life, as well.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:03 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
(Well, I made the unforgivable mistake of not reading the post closely enough before responding about age, and it says he is 39. I hate when people don't read the post correctly! )

Old 07-18-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
(Well, I made the unforgivable mistake of not reading the post closely enough before responding about age, and it says he is 39. I hate when people don't read the post correctly! )
Hey...let's keep those ages straight now.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hey...let's keep those ages straight now.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:39 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
I can't help but laugh. A person who lives in a MANUFACTURED HOME (sorry, but there's no such thing as a "trailer home," unless he's living in a camper hitched to a pickup truck), is working, is polite, respectful and upfront about his finances is a loser in most of your eyes?

Um, he's actually living within his means and in no way does it mean that he won't get a better job in the future. But you people WILL immediately accept someone who appears to have all of the trappings -- a high-paying job, beautiful car and home? That person could have a mountain of debt, be involved in shady business practices, etc. I especially had to laugh when I read the comment about the average guy not even having a credit card! Horrors! (I don't keep one, either. They're too easy to abuse and I'm happy to shop and pay cash for what I want.)

Haven't Americans woken up at all in the past year and read enough horror stories about people who supposedly were living the good life but lost everything?

Frankly, I'd rather take a chance on the honest guy in the simple home. You can build a life and move up with someone like that, which, IMO, is FAR preferable to "having it all" and then losing it all.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:46 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
My friend left me a VM - she met him for lunch today. She said that she does not want to see him again because he was in very short shorts that reminded her of OshKoshB'Gosh kid shorts - and flip flops. She did not say much else - just went on and on how there was just too much knee and pale upper leg showing. Well, she used the word, "transparent upper leg."

I just woke up (yeah-yeah, I slept all day like a teenager today after staying up reading the forums allllll night, felt great!) and will call her in a short while.

'OshKoshB'Gosh kid shorts' and flip flops. . . can't wait to hear this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships