Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Where I live, literally 3 out of 4 profiles on sites like Oasis Active will include, 'I like going to the beach, clubbing, going to pubs...' Most of these girls are bleach blondes, often with fake **** and some name like 'sexichikee.' I'm not even exaggerating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
"I like to laugh"

"I like to have a good time"

Cause I know if I read a profile and the person doesn't say these things, then I'm going to assume that she doesn't like to laugh and doesn't like to have a good time. I can't believe people actually have to list this.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:02 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,148 times
Please refrain from describing one's self as a Real woman. Please refrain from describing the attributes of a Real man.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:29 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,060 times
Its a damned if you do and damned if you don't world in online dating. I know a number of men and women who are laid back. Its not code for lazy or anything else. It is nothing more than a honest statement about a part of their personality. You could say the same for nearly all of the statements here as they apply in truth to some people. Online these things will be viewed through the goggles of cynicism and however well deserved that cynicism is, I find it an ugly thing.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:11 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
People who say they like to live life to the fullest, but don't have any hobbies.

Picture of their pet they no longer own.

People who describe themselves as hopeless romantics and simply expect to be swept away by user4672, despite the fact they already have a child from user6293.

People who say they love animals because their Mom had a pomeranian, but when they see a dog that's bigger than 4 lbs they run for the hills.

When they say music is their passion and their top 5 favorite artists are rappers.

Drunk pictures with attractive members of the opposite gender.

They want someone to accept them for who they are, then proceed to list 27 physical attributes that are must-haves.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:25 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Hey. It worked for me. *shrug*

Old 05-06-2011, 11:53 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
"I've been hurt."

Ladies, turn around immediately and walk the other way.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:16 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,615 times
Hey don't forget the standard "I love shopping, going to cafés with my girlfriends and traveling---cut to leter in the text---Looking for a bit older man..."

This is code for "I ran out of daddys spoilage and now I need a new source for spoiling, as the prostitute that I am I can be in a relationsip to get this"

But now that i think about it what the hell is a guy supposed to write...
Take this example:

"Hello!
What do I like?
I'm the type of guy who likes a broad spectrum of activities. Some of my interests are working out at the gym, martial arts, political debates as well as trying out new things or things I do not do very often which could be different extreemsports for example bungeyjumping, river-rafting or foreign cuisines and wines, exploring cities and nature around the world.
My standpoint is that the world is our playground, but it is up to us to learn to play in it.

So what do I do, I can't use our global playground all the time, can I?

I have a master in engineering, which once started my path to my current occupation in development of medical technology. It is a demanding job but I mostly enjoy it, and the challenges it brings.
Who are you?
I'm searching for an independent woman to share a good part of my free time with. What is important for me is that you are not afraid of trying new things, but also someone who appreciates a cosy movienight, in short someone who takes life lightly and enjoy the world around us.

Now you know a small part of me, but I believe people are best known in person

Au revoir"

What do you think?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:22 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Hey don't forget the standard "I love shopping, going to cafés with my girlfriends and traveling---cut to leter in the text---Looking for a bit older man..."

This is code for "I ran out of daddys spoilage and now I need a new source for spoiling, as the prostitute that I am I can be in a relationsip to get this"

But now that i think about it what the hell is a guy supposed to write...
Take this example:

"Hello!
What do I like?
I'm the type of guy who likes a broad spectrum of activities. Some of my interests are working out at the gym, martial arts, political debates as well as trying out new things or things I do not do very often which could be different extreemsports for example bungeyjumping, river-rafting or foreign cuisines and wines, exploring cities and nature around the world.
My standpoint is that the world is our playground, but it is up to us to learn to play in it.

So what do I do, I can't use our global playground all the time, can I?

I have a master in engineering, which once started my path to my current occupation in development of medical technology. It is a demanding job but I mostly enjoy it, and the challenges it brings.
Who are you?
I'm searching for an independent woman to share a good part of my free time with. What is important for me is that you are not afraid of trying new things, but also someone who appreciates a cosy movienight, in short someone who takes life lightly and enjoy the world around us.

Now you know a small part of me, but I believe people are best known in person

Au revoir"

What do you think?
That'd probably get you a lot of interested mails..

Old 05-06-2011, 03:31 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Its a damned if you do and damned if you don't world in online dating. I know a number of men and women who are laid back. Its not code for lazy or anything else. It is nothing more than a honest statement about a part of their personality. You could say the same for nearly all of the statements here as they apply in truth to some people. Online these things will be viewed through the goggles of cynicism and however well deserved that cynicism is, I find it an ugly thing.
I agree. I think some people are so busy reading between the lines and trying to find the hidden meaning that they can't accept what they see at face value. If one person says they're laid back, it might mean that they're lazy. But that may not be true for another person. So you have to resist the urge to paint everyone with the same brush and assume that everyone is using certain phrases the same way. Sometimes, I think people who try online dating are basically being penalized for the things other people online do. In that respect, it's no different than the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships