Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 AM

157 posts, read 475,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Basically, I'm really fed up with being short. I'm 18, around 5 foot 6 or 5 foot 7, and I have never been in a relationship before. These last 3 years, I finally gained the courage to actually ask out a girl (this is a huge step for me because I'm a little shy), but the two girls I asked out said that I was too short for them. The most annoying part, they weren't even tall! They were 5 foot 4 and 5 foot 1! I really don't get what I'm supposed to do. I can understand girls taller than me not wanting to go out, but I can't even date short girls now? UGH! I hate being Indian sometimes!
You're not that short, if you're really 5'6" or 5'7". I'm 5'4" and I've dated men of various heights. I don't have a height standard either way. Maybe the girls you asked like to have the big man to protect them (I believe it's a biological thing that perhaps the majority of females have--I'm not blaming women for wanting a tall guy). Or maybe the girls had some other reasons to turn you down, but they were too reluctant to tell you what they were, so they just used your height as the reason.

I've dated one guy who was shorter than me. Most dates I had were your height. BTW you can't blame your ethnicity for your height--haven't you noticed that there ARE some tall Indian men?? I certainly have--hahahahah. Your post reminded me of a crush I had on an Indian guy in college; he couldn't have been more than 5'1". There was some reason why I liked him, but I can't remember what exactly--maybe because he was smart but not a-holish about it. He dressed well and was polite. And I think he liked me back (do I sound like a 6th-grader or what?). Sorry to digress.

I know it's really hard to be rejected, especially for something so trivial. Maybe you feel worse about the rejection because you're fretting over something that SHOULD be trivial and at the same time it's something you can't change. Consider asking these girls as practice for when you DO find the one who says yes. The time will come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
I'm over 5'10.

I need someone taller than myself.

The only thing I can say is, make sure that you're in great physical shape. I know it sounds bad and we're not even supposed to think these thoughts, but looks count. A lot. As a short man you're already behind the curve, so frankly you need to compensate. I'm not saying that you need to be ridiculously stacked, but a trip to the gym a few times every week couldn't hurt.

Only a good personality will make a relationship last, though. And good sex. Good luck with those

Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 PM

339 posts, read 2,204,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Start lifting weights. Seriously. Find a mentor and stick to it. That will solve a whole bunch of problems. Also, some women don't dig Indian, white, black etc. guys and might just say the height thing. You do not see a lot of nicely muscled Indian guys...that would make you a commodity.

Keep at it.

Also, consider a make-over. Most guys your age don't dress, take care of hygene etc. the way they should and as such suffer for that too. If you have a friend, cousin, older sister etc. ask them for help. (for example, I've known guys in college that just didn't use deodorant as much as they should and that cost them HUGE in the dating scene...someone should have told them.)
I do lift weights and try and dress well, but what to do.

And to people who are "mad" that I said I hate being Indian, I was just kidding. I didn't actually mean it like that. So no more references to that now please haha. I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:18 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Quit asking the short ladies out for dates. Stick with the taller than you types. Hear me now...believe me later...
This isn't bad advice.... From personal experience, women on the tall side are actually less picky about height. Not sure why that is, but maybe it's because we're used to being on eye level with many men.

The main thing is not to develop a complex. Insecurity over being short is a much bigger turn-off to women than just being short.

And yeah, being in good shape, groomed/dressed well, and displaying confidence & your positive personality traits is definitely going to put you at an advantage over many guys, regardless of height.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Basically, I'm really fed up with being short. I'm 18, around 5 foot 6 or 5 foot 7, and I have never been in a relationship before. These last 3 years, I finally gained the courage to actually ask out a girl (this is a huge step for me because I'm a little shy), but the two girls I asked out said that I was too short for them. The most annoying part, they weren't even tall! They were 5 foot 4 and 5 foot 1! I really don't get what I'm supposed to do. I can understand girls taller than me not wanting to go out, but I can't even date short girls now? UGH! I hate being Indian sometimes!
Relax not all girls are stupid...aren't you going to college soon? Find a gal there?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:45 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Quit asking the short ladies out for dates. Stick with the taller than you types. Hear me now...believe me later...
Yeah im only 5'8 and taller women have been the few ones into me,maybe some short womne are more insecure about height and want to live vicariously through tall guys or something

Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
your 18 and 5'8, you will probably grow to be 6'0 by the time you reach 25.

Don't focus to much on your height, focus on maximizing your strengths and your self esteem level.
It's easier said than done but it is possible.

I'm 6'2 and thats considered short in my family!

its not the end of the world, your far too young to be worrying about your height.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:29 PM

339 posts, read 2,204,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
your 18 and 5'8, you will probably grow to be 6'0 by the time you reach 25.

Don't focus to much on your height, focus on maximizing your strengths and your self esteem level.
It's easier said than done but it is possible.

I'm 6'2 and thats considered short in my family!

its not the end of the world, your far too young to be worrying about your height.
I'm not 5 foot 8 (5 foot 6 and change but closer to 5 foot 6 probably), I'm going to be 19 in about a month. It's embarrassing enough being a virgin, but not having been in a relationship after 19 years on this planet, when most people start by 11-12 is EXTREMELY ridiculous I think. Plus, my parents are noticeably shorter than me, so there's no way I'm going to grow a lot more. FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Relax not all girls are stupid...aren't you going to college soon? Find a gal there?
I've already been through 1 year of college with no luck.

Plus, to everyone that says tall girls want the shorter guys more, I seriously think that's BS. I'm not sure if it's just because of my age and since, but in my experience, the tall girls are the ones that demand having a tall guy since they don't want to feel like "the man in the relationship". In addition, short girls want to compensate for their shortness by getting with really tall guys (despite how ridiculous they look as a couple), so in short, I'm basically left with no one.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:42 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
It does suck women do seem to care about height and use it as dealbreakers more then ever,just be thankful you weeded out these stupid shallow people and youll find somebody who isnt hung up on trivial things and actually cares about more important things like what kinda person you are rather then dismiss you because of a few inches..

Old 07-24-2009, 07:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
self improvement is good for the soul, focus on stuff you can change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships