U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:33 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,562,834 times

Advertisements

i am always intrigued by men that are worldly, cultured, and are capable of having spiritual and intelligent conversations!

anyway i am a grad student and this has been the 5th week of the session. since last week, i have been talking to this guy that gets there early (i get there early as well). we had a good conversation last week about russian literature. at first when he brought it up in conversation i was shocked thinking, wtf? how does it know i like russian lit?! i then remembered when we had to do class introductions and i said i enjoy russian literature. we spoke about that, philosophy, etc. when that class was over, he said bye (i know meaningless, but most people dont say goodbye anymore unless it is to someone they know well it seems).

today we spoke about theology, what it is like living in other countries, culture, and things like that. it was the best discussion i have had with someone in a long time.

i am unsure if he is interested as he appears to be a friendly guy and is inquisitive in class and asks a lot of questions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 AM

42,835 posts, read 82,112,256 times
Shoot, and here I thought you got your crush last night!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:21 AM

2,115 posts, read 4,694,164 times
He may be interested... he may not.

You said that he's a very friendly and interactive guy so obviously it's harder to tell if he's giving you signals when he's outgoing with everyone.

You have 4 options:

1. Ask him out.
2. Wait to see if he asks you out.
3. Spin the conversation into where you guys plan to do something together. (Ex: You/Him: "I can't wait to see that new exhibit at the Getty Museum! I read an amazing review on it last night." You/Him: "I've been planning to go see that too! It looks really interesting." Both in unison: "Let's go together!") Okay, so hopefully not as generic and cheesy but you get the gist.
4. Take the conversation to a new level and make it personal! Life, love, sex, hopes, dreams, the whole shebang - and see where it goes.

Best of wishes! Don't you love a fresh crush? There so much fun lol!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
He may be interested... he may not.

You said that he's a very friendly and interactive guy so obviously it's harder to tell if he's giving you signals when he's outgoing with everyone.

You have 4 options:

1. Ask him out.
2. Wait to see if he asks you out.
3. Spin the conversation into where you guys plan to do something together. (Ex: You/Him: "I can't wait to see that new exhibit at the Getty Museum! I read an amazing review on it last night." You/Him: "I've been planning to go see that too! It looks really interesting." Both in unison: "Let's go together!") Okay, so hopefully not as generic and cheesy but you get the gist.
4. Take the conversation to a new level and make it personal! Life, love, sex, hopes, dreams, the whole shebang - and see where it goes.

Best of wishes! Don't you love a fresh crush? There so much fun lol!
i tried being subtle and did #3. it kind of backfired actually lol.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:55 AM

2,115 posts, read 4,694,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
i tried being subtle and did #3. it kind of backfired actually lol.
Ah, how? What's your definition of subtle?

I hate when the best of plans go wrong! Let's see if we can actually get this to work to your advantage lol!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:41 AM

4,483 posts, read 8,829,448 times
He may have an interest in you. Just keep talking to him normally. Soon you will find out.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,287,455 times
How about just being friendly with him and get to know things about him. Don't look at it as trying to get a new potential love interest but look at it as making a new friend.

That way you can nibble around the edges to find out if he is really interested in you or if he has a girlfriend and other pertinent info.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:37 AM

577 posts, read 3,248,216 times
Try to develop the human relationship first, and you give the romantic one an opportunity to blossom. If there's no romance, at least you have added a person to your life that can you enjoy for other reasons.

Here's my favorite way to start that ball rolling:

"Would you like to have a cup of coffee with me after class?"

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Ah, how? What's your definition of subtle?

I hate when the best of plans go wrong! Let's see if we can actually get this to work to your advantage lol!
i was telling him about this place i really like in la that is a spiritual area for people of all religions and said its one of my favorite places and he should really check it out. he then said something like "i dont believe one needs a spiritual place in order to be spiritual". i agree, i just thought it was a cool area and he would want to check it out with me if he was interested

i probably will end up doing the coffee thing later.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:26 AM

12,977 posts, read 31,118,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
i was telling him about this place i really like in la that is a spiritual area for people of all religions and said its one of my favorite places and he should really check it out. he then said something like "i dont believe one needs a spiritual place in order to be spiritual". i agree, i just thought it was a cool area and he would want to check it out with me if he was interested

i probably will end up doing the coffee thing later.
You're talking about the Self Realization center near the beach that was founded by Paramahansa Yogananda. They have some of Ghandi's ashes there. Really cool place. It would be the perfect place for a date and you can grab a coffee afterwards at one of the local Starbucks.

Wait a minute!! Weren't you just posting the other day about how difficult it is to find dates/people? But now all of a sudden, out of the blue you have a crush on someone? Hmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships