Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:02 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times

Advertisements

My dad was 32 when he married his current wife who was 22. They have been happily married for 20 years, now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 04:37 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Rule of thumb, your age divide by two and add seven= minimum age you should date.
Never heard that rule, how did they come up with a mathematic equation for proper dating age

My rule is old enough to be your parent....too old to date. Then again with kids having kids at age 11 that rule doesnt work as well...

Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
When I was 22, I met a guy who was 36. We hit it off and lived together for 3 /12 yrs and then got married and were together another 11 yrs. He was controlling and liked making me his show piece. I should have known when his song to me was Willy Nelson's, Angel Flying too Close to the Ground. He didn't want children and I didn't think I did either. I was a stepmom at 28 and simply adored his grandbaby. He was fine about me having my nieces and nephews over on the weekends. As I got older, I got a little more independent and would voice my opinions which he didn't like. By the time he was 50, he seemed to hit a mid life crisis and felt he could never give me what I truly wanted, which was a baby. I was devastated at first because I never wanted a baby, or so thought.

Looking back now, the best thing he did was let me go. I'm married to my dh who is 3 yrs older than I and we're perfect together. Oh, and we have one very special blessing, a dd. I guess my ex was right, I did want a baby.

I have a friend who's been married over 25 yrs and they are 18 yrs apart and doing fine. It just depends. Only you can decide what's right for you. Just make sure you have the same goals.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:05 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Rule of thumb, your age divide by two and add seven= minimum age you should date.
I think we should discard this "rule" already. Doesn't make sense.

Take my hubby, 62, divide by 2 and add 7 = 38.

So you are suggesting 24 years age difference (!). And, show me a 38 year old woman who would be glad to date a 62 year old.

Let's take an 80 year old man. The rule will point him to a 47 year old woman. Good luck hunting!

Last edited by nuala; 07-21-2009 at 06:14 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustabuckeye View Post
I think its kind of a large gap. It would be unusual for both partners to be in the same place - Careers, children, etc.

And I think as you age, the difference would not seem as bad...But then would get worse the older you get. You'd be an Older man of 61...While she'd be still in her forties...a Cougar

And you'd just be a dirty old man...
Ha, try lucky!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
what do you think? is it too much of an age difference to work?
Generally it's not a huge difference. It just is right now. Ten years later it'll be nothing, but right now she's too young. That's not to say the relationship is doomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think it will work until she is in her late 30's and he is 50 and looking\acting aged. Then she will divorce him and start over.

This is a generality but I've seen it happen often where the MUCH older person hits a different life phase and suddenly they don't have so much in common etc. and "grow apart".

This is why I wouldn't date gals <30 when I'm looking.
Oh, c'mon, MG, your own wife was 8 years older than you!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,855 times
I was 28 dating a 52 year old woman.My Dad had a fit.

hillman

Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,897,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
I was 28 dating a 52 year old woman.My Dad had a fit.

hillman
Ah, the GILF's.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
We have alot of things in common, and yes i dont look 32, i look like 25, shes really mature, and told me, "your only as old as you feel"

Hope she did not spell it that way.

Anyway, I agree with a few other posters.

What about where each of you are in your lives? Education, career, marriage, children, life experiences/travel/past relationships...etc.

She is not even old enough to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner...

Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I think it all depends on who you are and who the other person is.

I can tell you I know of 45 years olds that have the maturity of a 16 year old and I know of 21 year olds that have a very mature outlook and manage responsibilities.

There is something I believe to women looking naturally to older men. When I was in college, can't say women in that age group really jumped all over me. In my late 20's into my 30's I started to notice and experience first hand women that were 18-25 suddenly interested and all over me.

Ultimately I think that you should go with whoever you enjoy being with. As I got older I realized things like age or hair color or bra size didn't really matter much. Mostly I just want a decent, kinky woman with a good taste in enjoying life while being responsible and trustworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships