Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:57 AM

223 posts, read 615,868 times

Advertisements

Hello All. I'm hoping you CD folks can give me some insight to a problem I'm starting to have with my relationship. Well for some background, I've been dating my boyfriend for about 2 years now. He moved in with me in April. The problem is that within those 2 years, he has not met any of my friends and only one of my family members. I've met most of his family and friends about 1.5 years ago.

We've been invited to numerous events by my friends and family but he always says no. I've talked to him about it but he really doesn't come up with a solid reason why he won't meet anyone close to me. I'm not the kind of person that feels that couples have to be joined at the hip and do everything together. But I do think it a little strange that someone I'm dating has not made an effort to meet anyone close to me in 2 years .

But he also doesn't want to go on vacation with me either. When I go to my home town I offer him to come with me; not to meet my family but just for a little get away at a hotel. But again the answer from him is no. This pisses me off though because then he tries to keep tabs on me and gets upset when I'm not available to answer his calls (of course when I call him on it he denies that's what he's trying to do). Even when we go out together it's like we're not together because he walks without me.

I'm still trying to get my feelings together about this but it's going to reach a head soon. I'm going to put it on the table tonight when I talk to him because this isn't going to work for too much longer. I've been in a similiar situation before but at least that guy had an excuse (extreme travel for work).

So, have any of you been through something like this and what did you do about it? Did you ever find out what was really going on? Was it some kind of insecurity, just a home body, introversion, or that he/she just wasn't that in to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times
Does he have Social Anxiety Disorder?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:24 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,699 times
Based on the info you've provided...Only way this can work is to seek counseling...I truely feel he's cheating on you; everytime you go on vacation he's actively going out and hooking up...

Old 07-21-2009, 12:28 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,232 times
Do you think he's overwhelmed with his commitment to you? Not saying that he doesn't want to be with you.

A relationship is 50/50, and it sounds like he's not pulling in his half. You really need to come up with a resolution and some clarification because this is not fair to you.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,853,391 times
Default Classic Red Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaasNYC View Post
Hello All. I'm hoping you CD folks can give me some insight to a problem I'm starting to have with my relationship. Well for some background, I've been dating my boyfriend for about 2 years now. He moved in with me in April. The problem is that within those 2 years, he has not met any of my friends and only one of my family members. I've met most of his family and friends about 1.5 years ago.

We've been invited to numerous events by my friends and family but he always says no. I've talked to him about it but he really doesn't come up with a solid reason why he won't meet anyone close to me.........
Stop right there!

This is a classic warning sign. Cheating aside, if he was really into you, he'd be wanting to meet your family, at the very least, soon after you met and would start to meet your friends too. This is classic controlling behavior and will likely get worse, should you marry.

However, I don't think this is his plan and he just wants to avoid the risks that might occur should he be introduced. I've known men with this pattern and they want to play the field while their GF goes home for the weekend.

It might be a good idea to go slow in the early stages, when you don't know whether the relationship will last, but this phase should only last weeks, not years.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
my 17 year marriage was loneliest part of my life.

Long engagements give people the opportunity of finding out each other's character before marriage, which is never advisable.

Oscar Wilde

Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM

295 posts, read 837,576 times
I've been in this situation before. I met all of my ex's friends and family, but he never was willing to meet mine. I even bailed on TWO of MY birthday parties, just so we could hang out where HE wanted for MY birthday. Ultimately, I determined that he was just selfish and felt my world should revolve around him and no one else. Once I realized he wasn't going to change, we split. So my advice to you: if you want to try and save your relationship, talk to him about how his behavior is making you feel and if he is willing to make the neccessary adjustments to make you comfortable. Go with your gut, if his response doesn't feel sincere, tell him to kick rocks and find an actual "partner".

Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM

350 posts, read 4,157,820 times
My only thought about his not wanting to meet your family is that maybe he thought the one family member he met wasn't nice to him/didn't like him?

I have been married five years and got the cold shoulder from my husband's family from the beginning. At first, I went to family events but then I just stopped going, because they weren't nice to me at all. Now, I skip pretty much all family events and get togethers with his family. So that could be the reason. Does that sound like it might be a possibility?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,362,856 times
My question is........WHY OH WHY are you still with this guy???? You don't want to meet a guy that wants to be with you, meet your family and friends? If you aren't willing to "lay down some law" then you both have a problem! If you can't tell him "I don't want this, I don't need this, this just isn't working out........please get your stuff and leave"......then you have more of a problem than you are stating here! Don't be a "push-over"!!

Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
I'd hate to guess what his problem is, but you and he need to sit down and have a talk until the problem is resolved.

My first thought is that he doesn't care enough about you to bother meeting your family and friends, but it could well be that he's plagued with fears about it. Either way, it's not fair to you, and if he refuses to change, kick him to the curb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships