Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,031 times

Advertisements

We just moved t0
greenville,scand my huband put the deed in his name only. i believe he is di
oing all he can to get me to divorce him. are there any legal loopholes that would let him keep the house and all its equity should we divorce after 30 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 11:08 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionprincess View Post
We just moved t0
oing all he can to get me to divorce him. are there any legal loopholes that would let him keep the house and all its equity should we divorce after 30 years?
I'd gather up the paperwork and invest an hour with a family law attorney, because we're just a bunch of idiots when it comes to giving that kind of advice. But I'm guessing he'd be hard-pressed to wriggle out of the house being considered marital assets.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:18 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
We just moved t0
If you believe he is doing all he can to get you to divorce him, you need to talk to him about more than a house. You need to talk to him about the state of your marriage.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:21 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
If you believe he is doing all he can to get you to divorce him, you need to talk to him about more than a house. You need to talk to him about the state of your marriage.
Be prepared first by talking to a lawyer, to know your rights. Chances are he's done some research if what you believe is true.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:24 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Doggone it, I did it again... replied to an old post that someone else brought back up. Why can't people make new threads? To fusion princess, you need to see a lawyer or, I don't know, have a sit down with your husband.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:39 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
In many western countries it is quite common for one party to own the house in which they live as a couple - married or unmarried - and for the other party not to object, even though they share other expenses. If you buy the property in your name and the deed is in your name only before the marriage, I don't believe these will be considered marital assets that can be divided, but I am not a lawyer.

I don't think what your doing is wrong in any ethical sense. It sounds to me like you view it as a way to protect yourself. I don't see how a reasonable man could object this.

From a relationship standpoint, I don't think his inordinate fondness of other people's property - especially someone whom he purports to love - bodes well for the future of your relationship.

I also believe that the replies you have received from those who echo your fiance's sentiments are sexist and worthless. Your assets are your assets. There is nothing wrong with protecting yourself. I admire you.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:43 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
We just moved t0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'd gather up the paperwork and invest an hour with a family law attorney, because we're just a bunch of idiots when it comes to giving that kind of advice. But I'm guessing he'd be hard-pressed to wriggle out of the house being considered marital assets.
I agree - talk to a lawyer - but I will say that the sister of a family friend of ours had something similar happen to her. Her husband decided he wanted them to move to a different state (that, coincidentally had different divorce laws than the one they were living in previously) so they moved, bought a house in his name only, and then he divorced her. He had also moved all of the money around so that basically she got nothing after being married to him for over 25 years. It does happen - so I'd talk to a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships