Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:42 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,686 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all of you for putting in your two cents - I honestly appreciate it!

The real burning question for me now is whether or not I should bring it up with him.

He is a close friend, so I really feel like it is worth mentioning. But of course I'm not going to position it as "I think this is a terrible idea" -- but instead I just want to get him thinking about *why* he wants to do this...b/c up to this point he has been running on auto-pilot.

I think that the best of friends are there not only to have fun with, but to keep you in-check w/ an honest, non-glossed over opinion when you need it most. Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 01:45 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times
if your a true friend, and you care about his well being you will bring it up. If he knows better he'll listen and take your words into consideration.

If your a sadist and you like watching someone subject themselves to pain and anguish unknowingly then you'll watch the events play out.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:47 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
Thanks to all of you for putting in your two cents - I honestly appreciate it!

The real burning question for me now is whether or not I should bring it up with him.

He is a close friend, so I really feel like it is worth mentioning. But of course I'm not going to position it as "I think this is a terrible idea" -- but instead I just want to get him thinking about *why* he wants to do this...b/c up to this point he has been running on auto-pilot.

I think that the best of friends are there not only to have fun with, but to keep you in-check w/ an honest, non-glossed over opinion when you need it most. Thoughts??
If you're his friend, then you should definitely make your feelings clear. If you thought his girlfriend was all wrong for him, wouldn't you speak up then? This is no different. If you think he's about to make a huge mistake that he may not be able to easily fix, then you should say so. I would want my friends to catch me before I make a mistake.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:48 PM

392 posts, read 1,539,257 times
divorce is probably cheaper than foreclosure.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:51 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Yes he is making a major mistake . I would not even buy someone a cell phone I had been dating for 9 months . He needs to rethink his decision and say to her that maybe they should wait till they get married before they even think about buying a house .

Old 07-22-2009, 02:03 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
divorce is probably cheaper than foreclosure.
but sometimes they go hand in hand

Old 07-22-2009, 02:51 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
You can divorce your wife, but you can't divorce your home loan.

Until she refinances, the mortgage company can hold you responsible for that debt, no matter what your divorce decree says about who owns the house. That is some messy stuff already.

If, for instance, OP's friend ended up dumping this girl and they agreed that she would keep the house and pay for it, she could choose to never make any payments, go into foreclosure, and trash his credit (along with hers) for revenge. Or she could try to make the payments she promised to make, but since she couldn't afford the house on her own income in the first place, she ends up slipping further and further behind, again trashing her credit and his.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:52 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
As a friend, I think its in your buddys interest if, say over a few beers you ask him if he is sure he wants to do it.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:56 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times
Determine whether it'd be a wise decision to advise him against it. If you choose to do so, do so w/ the expectation that he may react adversely towards you, perhaps to the extent that he'll choose to discontinue your friendship, or at least, to put it in the backburner.

He'll have to make his own choices and face the consequences afterwards.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:59 PM

283 posts, read 495,939 times
Very Very Very stupid idea.

Refer friend to the Vince Vaughn movie. Think it was called "the breakup" or something to that effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships