Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:20 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
If you typically judge, you are judgmental.
PTC is right. The real question lies in whether you let your judgements control the way you act... and to some extent they should. Hopefully you're not going to accept a ride from that creepy looking stranger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Lol...that is why we have judgement...to judge. It is not a bad thing. Those folks who are intolerant of intolerance are trying to pc you into thinking everything has to be ok. It doesn't.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:30 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,963 times
There is a difference in judging a situation to make a smart decision and just blatantly hating someone similar to racism because they dont eat the same food as you do. In my mind you only judge those close to you, and its to help them become a better human being. For example your sibling does something like get a DWI and you call them an idiot and lecture them. Thats a good judgement.

Also I do believe its necessary to judge a significant other you allow close to you because in the end if you are scaling up a marriage partner, that partner in essence becomes part of you. That whole marriage making two people into one thing. I think it would be akin to keeping yourself in line.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:55 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,233 times
You are a judge in a relative sense. When it comes to your life, you have the right to determine how to react to other people's actions.

If a guy likes to hang around the jungle gym at the park, most parents will 'judge' that he's a creep and keep their kids away from him. Even if he really only wants to play on the see-saw, people act like this. Their assessment might be off, but they have a right to it.

In short, there are consequences to actions. No one has to accept everything as okay. If that was the case, there would be no need for laws and boundaries. At the same time, this should be within reason. It's not reasonable to assume that anyone who doesn't live to your standards isn't worthy of the same dignity and respect you'd expect from others.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
But there is a difference to judging and being judgemental.

Oh yeah?

And what is that?

Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 AM

549 posts, read 1,930,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Technically, we don't have the right because we're all human and on the same playing field... but this is debatable.

However, judgement will ALWAYS be around because we all have opinions. Even the people that say they don't judge, DO judge - they've just learned the art of not letting their judgements affect their actions and attitude toward people.
Actually, technically, we do have the right. That's the beauty of free thoughts, having your own mind, being an individual... being alive. Now, who's judgment hold more weight than another's? That's debatable. In my mind, everyone's judgment holds just as much weight as the next. The question is, who's judgment do you value more? Usually it's of someone you trust or someone that holds the same opinion as you. Regardless, everyone has the right to hold judgment...

Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
I dislike saying this, but persons in my family are quite judgemental. It seems any time they see somebody who is out of the "norm", they comment or look down on that person. like if a person is fat, or is dressed unconventionally, or holds beliefs/values that are not mainstream (they often look down persons such as vegans).
Funny you say vegans, bro

Here's another of those bastard tales. I happened to meet a bunch of vegans across the same table, during a friendly get-together.

The first few sentences they spoke to me, I responded to them bleating like a goat. No words or sentences, just goat bleating in response to whatever they told me LMAO. A minute later I patched up and they forgave me

Old 07-23-2009, 10:20 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
I dislike saying this, but persons in my family are quite judgemental. It seems any time they see somebody who is out of the "norm", they comment or look down on that person. like if a person is fat, or is dressed unconventionally, or holds beliefs/values that are not mainstream (they often look down persons such as vegans).

Now, everything is relative. I think most would acknowledge that. So if everything is relative, then morality is relative too. So who really has the right to judge another's behavior, attitudes, thoughts, etc.? As long as a person is not harming (either physically or emotionally) another individual, then should anybody view their actions as negative?
Everyone judges other people to some extent. Some of it is more universally accepted than others but it's never 100%. (ie. Cannibalism if you want a funny\extreme example....most people would judge you negatively for it but not ALL)

With that said, if I see somebody eating 5 McDoubles for their lunch (true story) I don't have a problem thinking of them as an obese slob with horrible eating habits. The irony here being do you have the right to judge me for my judgment\opinion? LOL get the point?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how stupid it may be. Judging people is their opinion. Now, if they are trying to force you to wear only plaid clothes because they judge other attire to be the devils work then that crosses the line from opinion to an issue of rights.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:07 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:

Now, everything is relative. I think most would acknowledge that. So if everything is relative, then morality is relative too. So who really has the right to judge another's behavior, attitudes, thoughts, etc.? As long as a person is not harming (either physically or emotionally) another individual, then should anybody view their actions as negative?
Certainly we have the "right". If you think about it, there are probably people that you wouldn't want to associate with. Aren't you "judging" them? You know, other than being a rapist, he might be the nicest guy you've ever met. And, being a guy, you're safe from him anyway--right? But most people shun criminals of any stripe.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:26 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
If you typically judge, you are judgmental.
yes. absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships