Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 AM

438 posts, read 1,346,933 times

Advertisements

Have paid cash for just about everything I possess since the age of 23.

That includes car/motorcycle/house & holiday home/electrical appliances (with corresponding discounts for cash that apply). Includes Kids universities and their needs till they were 24.

Only hold a debit card: (1) for daily use and for paying monthly bills, ie., insurance/med, life and motor vehicle, utilities, cellphone, fuel etc (2) for whims and fancies.

Have ONE credit card to RESERVE car rents/hotels/plane tickets. On departure from hotel/car rental and airport, settle in CASH - thus does not even figure on Credit card account. I do not thus get inflated fees, overdue amounts, or a bad "credit" rating.

Occasionally, when purchasing something for a value of less than $100 direct from a store, will take out a payment plan of three/six months to provide info for "credit" rating.

I always have $200 in cash in my billfold. (1 x 100 and remainder in small bills) I have another $300 in my truck/briefcase for emergencies when traveling.

Have an excellent credit rating. No problems, - no extra fees, no add 5% for the shop owner, and it gives ME TOTAL CONTROL of how I live.

I am happy with this, and have never owed anybody anything other than the occasional $100 when maintaining my "credit" rating. I am who I am and that's not going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 10:33 AM

44,273 posts, read 19,933,945 times
I'm happy to see that so many people on here are financially responsible! I could never understand people running up huge credit card balances and making minimum payments on them.

As for a date paying cash for everything, why would that be a red flag? Unless he whips out his cash roll with a flair, showing it off, I see nothing wrong with it. I do think it's silly to carry around a lot of cash, but then I grew up in an area with a high crime rate. I carry a small amount of cash and use my debit card for almost everything.

I'm with The Capt. and others - If I can't afford it, I don't charge it. I just returned yesterday from a 9-day vacation, paid for most of it in advance and used my debit card for the rest. I use my credit cards on occasion just to keep them active, so I have the credit for emergencies. Have not actually "needed" them to date. I live pretty modestly. That's the way I was raised.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I'm happy to see that so many people on here are financially responsible! I could never understand people running up huge credit card balances and making minimum payments on them.

As for a date paying cash for everything, why would that be a red flag? Unless he whips out his cash roll with a flair, showing it off, I see nothing wrong with it. I do think it's silly to carry around a lot of cash, but then I grew up in an area with a high crime rate. I carry a small amount of cash and use my debit card for almost everything.

I'm with The Capt. and others - If I can't afford it, I don't charge it. I just returned yesterday from a 9-day vacation, paid for most of it in advance and used my debit card for the rest. I use my credit cards on occasion just to keep them active, so I have the credit for emergencies. Have not actually "needed" them to date. I live pretty modestly. That's the way I was raised.
And you didn't invite all of us here?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:07 AM

Sorry bobs! It was my first-ever cruise and OMG - NOW I know why everyone who cruises tries to talk everyone else into cruising. I had the time of my life!

.....and because it's already paid for, I can start saving right away for the next one.

(I'll bet OP's Mr. Cash-only does the same thing.)

Old 03-23-2010, 11:44 AM

29,630 posts, read 34,129,603 times
On the other hand, I think it's really annoying when someone never carries cash. I know people who have to whip out plastic to pay for an ice cream cone, and who make splitting a check an ordeal because they have to put it all on their card.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:47 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,498,035 times
Oh brother, nice to see this thread revived with more examples of total disregard for the actual point. But what else is new.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 PM

345 posts, read 970,965 times
I try to pay cash to mom-pop shops. There is a transaction cost to them when using my card. So, paying in cash helps keep them a little more profitable (hopefully so they stay in business). It also makes it convenient for leaving a tip later.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,432,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Sorry bobs! It was my first-ever cruise and OMG - NOW I know why everyone who cruises tries to talk everyone else into cruising. I had the time of my life!

.....and because it's already paid for, I can start saving right away for the next one.

(I'll bet OP's Mr. Cash-only does the same thing.)
And since I grew up in the same neighborhood as PJ8, at the same time, with the same thrift values, I second everything she said! You should see her in a bikini!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
And since I grew up in the same neighborhood as PJ8, at the same time, with the same thrift values, I second everything she said! You should see her in a bikini!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,976,933 times
I pay cash for almost everything. I am not currently a waitress, dancer, bartender, or drug dealer. I am not a college dropout/failed athlete, I have no criminal record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships