Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc757 View Post
Women from more traditional countries, that are still feminine, seem to make better wives and mothers. I know several couples who fit this description and the husbands and wives seem so much happier than couples I know that both of them are American.
I know and the key is to expat to where they are and NOT bring them to the states - just much better off period and to have offspring born in a non-feminized country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 07:18 AM

90 posts, read 321,637 times
A pre-nup can address multiple concerns. Love and a good lawyer counter fear. Create detente. We work under the gun with employment laws, we have social restraints and taboos, but there is everything guys can do to create a balance if they so desire. Be well armed and well-prepared in this battle-of-the-sexes and men will show themselves just as eager to be one-bride husbands. Its kind of like carrying condoms against...we should have equal preparation at the altar, particularly if we go into it with a contemporary mindset. This does not eradicate love as much as it compensates for cruelty and gives BOTH parties a hedge.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Frankly, studies show that men benefit more from marriage (even if it's true that women benefit more from divorce) in terms of happiness and longevity.
married men dont live longer it just seems longer.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:30 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
I dont know who would be more enthused about it....considering that it was the man who asked for it.
Someone once said that in some countries, marriage is punishment for stealing.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:38 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
I can only speak for myself. My wedding is nearing 2 months away and while I've had a few cold-feet moments, my fiance has assured me he is not the least bit nervous and cannot wait to get married. But he's the marrying type. He proposed after just one year and contends that he knew I was the one in only the first few months of dating.

He is more excited than I am. But I'm catching up.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:11 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
And I can only speak for myself - one marriage that lasted one year, another that lasted 12. I shouldn't have married who I did.

There ought to be a class both men and women take about marriage. I was in such a hurry to get married! It's for adult-minded people, not for young people escaping their present living situation.

As for the photograph - as a invited guest to many a wedding seeing the guy holding on to his drink with one hand and his other in his pocket - that' s nothing new, but after all these years, I applaud the guy (and I am a woman!), he probably knew it wasn't just the walk down the aisle...it was the trudging sometimes through life!

Nope, marriage is not for the weak, nor the faint of heart.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
And I can only speak for myself - one marriage that lasted one year, another that lasted 12. I shouldn't have married who I did.

There ought to be a class both men and women take about marriage. I was in such a hurry to get married! It's for adult-minded people, not for young people escaping their present living situation.

As for the photograph - as a invited guest to many a wedding seeing the guy holding on to his drink with one hand and his other in his pocket - that' s nothing new, but after all these years, I applaud the guy (and I am a woman!), he probably knew it wasn't just the walk down the aisle...it was the trudging sometimes through life!

Nope, marriage is not for the weak, nor the faint of heart.
marriage is a good thing. the laws developed since 1974 pertaining to marriage discouraged marriage.
since family is the building block of society i feel that the current marriage laws are anti family. harming and punishing men for their attempts to do right will never reward society. i am most disturbed that gloria steinem had no concern at all on this point in her recent interviews and feels massive divorce is merely a sign of the times. the moral giant coming to save us from corruption promised in the womens movement never arrived.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:34 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Believe me, I can tell you from first hand experience that women make out much worse in divorce generally ending up in poverty. What you hear about in places like California is not anywhere near the norm. These days there is no such thing as alimony and if there is it's more like two years of a couple of hundred dollars a month. The same with child support, it's very low. Men definately make out better, no matter how much they like to complain, while women have an extreme struggle.

Marriage in many cases is also better for men. Women oftentimes still have to work, take care of the house, and the children, and look after the man. They may think they're getting away easy not being married but their stability factor goes way down and their personal risk factor goes way up.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
marriage is a good thing. the laws developed since 1974 pertaining to marriage discouraged marriage.
since family is the building block of society i feel that the current marriage laws are anti family. harming and punishing men for their attempts to do right will never reward society. i am most disturbed that gloria steinem had no concern at all on this point in her recent interviews and feels massive divorce is merely a sign of the times. the moral giant coming to save us from corruption promised in the womens movement never arrived.
True, I think some feminism is good (if you're capable, reach for the stars in education and work). But don't forget the men or the children.

My last boss was from the Woodstock Generation who had a boyfriend and refused to ever get married again, never wanted to own any real estate, had four kids at home, lived at one time in a school bus. She served men at work (secretary to attorneys). Yet it was interesting to see that every man in her life (her father who left the family, her grouchy stepfather, her ex-husband, her sons) were estranged from women in some way, so she was bitter towards men in her casual conversations. Also, she seemed to do everything, literally. I don't know if it was because she was a control freak and/or people she associated with were lazy. Or maybe she was a narcissist.

She never mentioned Gloria Steinem, but I could see how this woman might have been a bra burner. This might be the most bitterest (if that is even a word) woman towards men I have ever met in my life.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Believe me, I can tell you from first hand experience that women make out much worse in divorce generally ending up in poverty. What you hear about in places like California is not anywhere near the norm. These days there is no such thing as alimony and if there is it's more like two years of a couple of hundred dollars a month. The same with child support, it's very low. Men definately make out better, no matter how much they like to complain, while women have an extreme struggle.

Marriage in many cases is also better for men. Women oftentimes still have to work, take care of the house, and the children, and look after the man. They may think they're getting away easy not being married but their stability factor goes way down and their personal risk factor goes way up.
Well, I got divorced in California, twice. No alimony either time. The second time I left with my clothes and a car and some dishes and jewelry. The husband refused to sell the house and wanted my 401k as well! I returned to live with my parents back to where I grew up and I started from scratch. I was sleeping on an air mattress at my parents' house. I had to find a new job. I had to pay my lawyer. I had to pay my car payment and my student loans. I struggled for five years.

Then after we were divorced, a year later my ex-husband remarried! Of course it was easy for him - he had the house already and no kids. Very attractive (the trappings, not him).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships