Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times

Advertisements

Got someones age completely wrong?

and shudder when you think about it lol

Recently this happened to me, was introduced to a girl through family.
Seriously thought she was 16-17. Turns out she is 23 and in University (College as you call it in the US). Fortunately I avoided putting my foot in it in this case, but have in the past!

I sometimes find it particularly difficult telling the difference between females in the 16-28 or so age range. Sometimes can get it completely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:18 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
My problem is/was determining the age of babies and toddlers....

I'd say to a mother, "Oh, how old is he/she, about 1???" ....... "No, she's 2."

(oops... No I wasn't trying to imply that your kid is severely underdeveloped... )

So I got out of the guessing game there and will simply ask how old they are.... Same goes for sex. "Oh he's a happy one!!!".......... "It's a she".......

(Well then STOP DRESSING YOUR KID IN AMBIGUOUS COLORS!!!!! GIRL = PINK, BOY = BLUE FROM NOW ON!!! )

Old 07-22-2009, 09:22 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
NEVER EVER GUESS about a couple things:
1) Age
2) If they are pregnant
3) Ethnicity

I can tell 95% of the time if someone is Korean, Japanese, Chinese etc. since I have a lot of friends from those groups but it could be a major offense to guess and be wrong.
Well, except once when someone was being a complete wench to me and so I asked if she still had family in Japan despite knowing she was Korean.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
My problem is/was determining the age of babies and toddlers....

I'd say to a mother, "Oh, how old is he/she, about 1???" ....... "No, she's 2."

(oops... No I wasn't trying to imply that your kid is severely underdeveloped... )

So I got out of the guessing game there and will simply ask how old they are.... Same goes for sex. "Oh he's a happy one!!!".......... "It's a she".......

(Well then STOP DRESSING YOUR KID IN AMBIGUOUS COLORS!!!!! GIRL = PINK, BOY = BLUE FROM NOW ON!!! )
Yeah I have that problem too

Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
NEVER EVER GUESS about a couple things:
1) Age
2) If they are pregnant
3) Ethnicity

I can tell 95% of the time if someone is Korean, Japanese, Chinese etc. since I have a lot of friends from those groups but it could be a major offense to guess and be wrong.
Well, except once when someone was being a complete wench to me and so I asked if she still had family in Japan despite knowing she was Korean.
Agree, I have learnt the hard way lol.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Hahahaha. All the men in my family tend to look a lot younger than we really are, which has led to some interesting situations. It drives my wife crazy that I don't have a single gray hair yet. My grandmother didn't until she hit her seventies.

When Mrs. CPG and I were engaged, we went suit shopping for a couple of upcoming engagement parties. I was in jeans and so kind of way-cool shirt while she, working in corporate America, was still in her business suit, fresh from the office.

So, she and I look at suits. I'm asking her opinion and the whatnot, then I disappear into the dressing room. This woman strolls up to her and says, "You know, you just don't look old enough to have a son that age." Mind you, my wife is 3 years younger than I am. She just thought that was incredibly funny. The woman who asked, in the meantime, was mortified.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hahahaha. All the men in my family tend to look a lot younger than we really are, which has led to some interesting situations. It drives my wife crazy that I don't have a single gray hair yet. My grandmother didn't until she hit her seventies.

When Mrs. CPG and I were engaged, we went suit shopping for a couple of upcoming engagement parties. I was in jeans and so kind of way-cool shirt while she, working in corporate America, was still in her business suit, fresh from the office.

So, she and I look at suits. I'm asking her opinion and the whatnot, then I disappear into the dressing room. This woman strolls up to her and says, "You know, you just don't look old enough to have a son that age." Mind you, my wife is 3 years younger than I am. She just thought that was incredibly funny. The woman who asked, in the meantime, was mortified.
Classic story

Old 07-22-2009, 09:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Classic story
Here's another. Newly-engaged, Mrs. CPG and I went to my 10th-year class reunion. There, we met a good friend of mine who had always kind of struggled with a weight problem. The woman also was wearing a very loose blouse.

So my soon-to-be wife asked Nancy when the baby was due. Nancy, a sweet-natured woman, replied, "Oh, that was about nine months ago. I guess I need to lose some weight. Mrs. CPG afterwards said that she wanted the floor to open up and swallow her at that very moment.

I can't remember any gaffes like that on my part in my adult life. I had an intervening gear installed between my brain and mouth at an early age.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 AM

I could tell a few stories myself, problem is most of them I remember Involve myself so I will refrain lol. Much easier making fun of someone elses plight

Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Recently this happened to me, was introduced to a girl through family.
Seriously thought she was 16-17. Turns out she is 23 and in University (College as you call it in the US). Fortunately I avoided putting my foot in it in this case, but have in the past!
Thats better than thinking she was 23 and her really being 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships