Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:42 PM

751 posts, read 1,674,049 times

Advertisements

Yes I would. When my late husband was alive I recall a time when we were homeless twice at no fault of our own.Our 2 sons were 5 and 1 yrs olds at the time,kids have this thing about getting hungry.

Not all homeless people are on drugs and drunks and I learned that by having to live in a homeless shelter.

Whenever I see a homeless person today I think about the time when me and my family asked for some help and we were blessed to get it.I also immediately snap back to reality and realize that homelessness could happen to anyone of us. There are people who have lost their homes and jobs and are living in the streets and alot of them like I said above aren't druggies and drunks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 10:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post
Yes I would. When my late husband was alive I recall a time when we were homeless twice at no fault of our own.Our 2 sons were 5 and 1 yrs olds at the time,kids have this thing about getting hungry.

Not all homeless people are on drugs and drunks and I learned that by having to live in a homeless shelter.

Whenever I see a homeless person today I think about the time when me and my family asked for some help and we were blessed to get it.I also immediately snap back to reality and realize that homelessness could happen to anyone of us. There are people who have lost their homes and jobs and are living in the streets and alot of them like I said above aren't druggies and drunks.
Completely agree Cherie.

That's why it's always a difficult thing if you're approached for money.

Because there are people who legitimately, through no fault of their own are hungry and in need of a helping hand and there are those who do pretend to be needy to make money panhandling AND there are those with serious addiction problems.

It's why I don't have a set "rule" with regard people asking me for money on the street. It depends entirely on the circumstances as they present themselves to me on the day.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:49 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Would you ever give money to a homeless person? Me everytime I see a homeless person I would give them a few dollars every now and then and I always tend to feel bad whenever I see a homeless person.
I would not give money to them but if I had food I would give that. I am not going to contribute to someones smoking, drinking or drugging by giving them money they can turn into these things.

If you want to give money, donate it to the shelters and kitchens that cook for the homeless.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:57 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post

I agree completely with this.

I can remember when I was a child I was homeless for a while, and if there's one thing that I remember it was being very hungry and asking people for small change on the street. There were times when people would tell me to shoe off or get out of here and I really just wanted a quarter or something so I could get a bag of chips that would last me a day or two. Everytime I see someone out on the street I instantly get reminded of what that felt like, just seeing peoples reactions when they didn't believe you were hungry or needed some change. Its a feeling that i've never really recovered from, but it's helped me deal in other times that I was in similar situation in my life.

Your right this can happen to anyone at anytime

If always give something. Whether it be a long conversation, a warm meal or some change. I always hope that through positive interaction I can give something tangible that can't be taken away.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:03 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,341 times
i rarely have given homeless people money just because the odds are i know where the money will go...

however, if i have food with me, i will gladly give food to the homeless and i do that all the time. i once bought bananas and a homeless guy asked me for one so i gave him one. is was kind of strange. i was going to give him one anyway!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I have given cash, and would continue to do so, but it's on a case-by-case basis. If I'm in the car, I generally keep gift certificates for McDonald's or gift cards for Wendy's handy in the glove box for emergencies, as in if I encounter someone who is homeless. At least if I give them money for use at a food establishment that does not sell alcohol, it's not contributing to a problem that they may have, since I don't think drug dealers would take gift certificates in payment.

I also have a friend who volunteers with a charity that provides meals to the homeless, and will tell someone where it's located and when they need to be there, etc. Generally, I prefer to support charities like the one for which my friend volunteers and other groups that provide meals and shelter to homeless people, but there are circumstances when you just have to follow your gut reaction and trust that it's being received and used in the spirit that the gift was given.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:26 AM

433 posts, read 876,207 times
You never know you could be entertaining an Angel.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I believe it's better to give money to homeless shelters, rescue missions, etc. Giving money to people on the streets encourages begging and often your money goes to alcohol and drugs.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No. If you want to give some money to help the homeless put it in an envelope and mail it to the homeless shelter - they can really use it and would appreciate it.

When you give money to the homeless on the street you are only enabling them to buy their alcohol or drugs - which is really no help at all. In fact, if everyone realized this and quit giving directly to the homeless more of the homeless would get the help they need.

Give your money to the organizations who help these people. You can also keep some coupons to places like McDonalds on you to give to a truly hungry homeless person when you are approached.
Also it can be a good experience to voluteer at the homeless shelters in addition to bringing food, money, supplies.

Handing someone money doesn't really solve their problems, they need more than money, a warm place to stay, a fresh start. The shelter here offers a clean bed to anyone but they must agree to not drink and not be on drugs and they have to make an effort to find a job, develop job skills and attend counseling and prayer sessions. To me leaving people on the streets is dangerous and giving money out to them encourages them to stay out there instead of getting real help.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 AM

433 posts, read 876,207 times
No such thing. A lack of a relationship is the real fountain of youth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships