Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:17 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Give $10 away and $30 will come back to you. We're not talking monetarily, but coming back to you in other forms. In some cases, it just might be monetary.

So does it really matter then how they spend the money? You're still the beneficiary.

And there's the emotional high one can get just from the act of giving. The feeling of being needed, isn't that what helps keep us all around on this planet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 09:02 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
I rarely give money to homeless people but I will buy them a good meal.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 AM

28 posts, read 69,730 times
I was on vacation in Hawaii once and this mid-20s guy came over and he starts telling me his story how he has no place to go and is saving up to go to a hostel for a few days and he needs $25 dollars. He said thank for actually listening to him unlike others. I figured what the hell and gave him $25, I'm not rich or anything but damn it would suck not to have a roof over your head. He looked like he was having a rough time, then he did this rap he made right in the mall we were talking in and it took like 3 minutes, me standing there bop'in to his rap as he stood a few feet in front of me. It was different, at the end he asked if I wanted to hear another but said I needed to go.

I also once gave a guy a whopper in burger king. He asked for money for food so instead I just bought him one. He saved it for later tho :\ ew

Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
We had a guy in my town that would stand at one intersection day after day with a sign saying he was homeless. People would give him cash. A police officer friend of mine once followed this guy when he walked away from the intersection. The guy walked into a mall parking lot and got into a car. The guy then drove about 2 miles away and parked and went into a house. Did he live there? Don't know but considering he had a car then he probably lived in the home. You never know.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
No! No! No!

Don't give money or anything else to the homeless. This only enables their lifestyle.

When you work directly with the homeless (like I do) you will have a different perspective.

Here is a cut and paste from one of my posts from this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...-cities-4.html

I work as a paramedic. I acknowledge that some homeless are truly down on their luck and need help. The rest are the chronic homeless.

Ever been to a homeless camp? I have....quite a few times. A mountain of empty beer cans and liquor bottles. Everyone sitting around drinking...at 7AM. No money for food but money for beer, crack, and cigarettes.

Here is how the food scam works. Around here they panhandle at the exits off the interstate. Conveniently, there is a homeless camp right there. They hold a "will work for food" sign up. Most people don't carry food in their car, nor are they in a position to offer employment. So if you want to help, what do you do? You give money, of course! This pays well, which is why it is so prevalent. I had a homeless guy who works this tell me he makes $100 an hour. I absolutely believe him.

The media has done stories. They set up a hidden camera and watched as the homeless take shifts panhandling. It is very organized. These folks also know what areas have the most services for them, so they gravitate there.

A colleague of mine once chatted with a homeless guy. He told him he was tired of the corporate world, dropped out and became homeless voluntarily. He showed his ID card from his former employer-a pilot for one of the major airlines.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:30 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
No! No! No!

Don't give money or anything else to the homeless. This only enables their lifestyle.

When you work directly with the homeless (like I do) you will have a different perspective.

Here is a cut and paste from one of my posts from this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...-cities-4.html

I work as a paramedic. I acknowledge that some homeless are truly down on their luck and need help. The rest are the chronic homeless.

Ever been to a homeless camp? I have....quite a few times. A mountain of empty beer cans and liquor bottles. Everyone sitting around drinking...at 7AM. No money for food but money for beer, crack, and cigarettes.

Here is how the food scam works. Around here they panhandle at the exits off the interstate. Conveniently, there is a homeless camp right there. They hold a "will work for food" sign up. Most people don't carry food in their car, nor are they in a position to offer employment. So if you want to help, what do you do? You give money, of course! This pays well, which is why it is so prevalent. I had a homeless guy who works this tell me he makes $100 an hour. I absolutely believe him.

The media has done stories. They set up a hidden camera and watched as the homeless take shifts panhandling. It is very organized. These folks also know what areas have the most services for them, so they gravitate there.

A colleague of mine once chatted with a homeless guy. He told him he was tired of the corporate world, dropped out and became homeless voluntarily. He showed his ID card from his former employer-a pilot for one of the major airlines.

You said it, great post!

Until people stop giving to the guy on the street things like this will keep happening. People THINK they are being compassionate and doing the right thing BUT, they need to think this thing thru a bit better to realize their money would be much better spent going to the organizations set up to REALLY help the homeless.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:42 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Saw this on Random Acts of Kindness last night and I have to say I think it's a fantastic organization!

Footpath Library (http://www.footpathlibrary.org/about.html - broken link)

Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Until people stop giving to the guy on the street things like this will keep happening. People THINK they are being compassionate and doing the right thing BUT, they need to think this thing thru a bit better to realize their money would be much better spent going to the organizations set up to REALLY help the homeless.
Oh, yeah... I have a whole lot of more faith in where the money goes once it lands in the hands of some greedy "organization"! Plenty of stories of this nature, too, even though they're usually about the "crying hearts" on TV trying to get you to "help" children abroad.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
I already have

didn't matter to me, if they bought food with it or not, what I care about, is not passing them by, without giving something to them...I wouldn't feel right. Every homeless story is different, and some of those homeless people were left go when cut backs started closing down mental institutions, therefore, they can't take care of themselves.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-27-2009 at 08:33 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,422 times
I sometimes give money to homeless people in St. Louis. I know that alot of these people can't fend for themselves for whatever reason and I also know that I have been very very lucky in life and am obligated morally to at least give something back to the less fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships