Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:35 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,416 times

Advertisements

a lot of it is from certain cultures because of the machismo attitude that is accepted within their culture. all the guys that have done it are hispanic, middle eastern (when i was in israel, regardless of religion, men did this), and sometimes black.

i get really embarrassed when i get the remarks when my family is near me especially my father.
i have people in cars honk and open their windows to talk to me, guys honk and scream at me when i am walking my dogs or walking anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 06:50 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantismom View Post
Ahhh....yes, I am slooow to catch on ....."Bratz" factor= easy girls.
Oh, ok, gotcha. So he thinks all girls that get attention from males must be done up sl*ts like Bratz dolls. And to think, I thought he was trying to insult me.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:52 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,140,882 times
I suppose they want a reaction, but why do they want a reaction? What satisfaction do men get from heckling women? Is it a power thing (degrading the woman)? Or maybe they think they'd never have a chance anyway and it's one way to get you to notice them....?
I just ignore it...if they do want a reaction, then I'm not giving it to them.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
a lot of it is from certain cultures because of the machismo attitude that is accepted within their culture. all the guys that have done it are hispanic, middle eastern (when i was in israel, regardless of religion, men did this), and sometimes black.

i get really embarrassed when i get the remarks when my family is near me especially my father.
i have people in cars honk and open their windows to talk to me, guys honk and scream at me when i am walking my dogs or walking anywhere.
I think it is about men feeling like they are in charge. So, yes, the whole "macho" thing does come into play. I do notice that when I'm out with my guy friends (one of which is a body builder) this never happens. Its only when you're walking down the street by yourself, or with your girlfriends that they think they can do whatever they want.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
I think it is about men feeling like they are in charge. So, yes, the whole "macho" thing does come into play. I do notice that when I'm out with my guy friends (one of which is a body builder) this never happens. Its only when you're walking down the street by yourself, or with your girlfriends that they think they can do whatever they want.
it's happened with my dad next to me. like it is bad enough when i am alone or with friends that it happens, but when my dad is around, it just is embarrassing to a whole other extent.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
it's happened with my dad next to me. like it is bad enough when i am alone or with friends that it happens, but when my dad is around, it just is embarrassing to a whole other extent.
I've never had it happen with my dad next to me. I think my dad would probably go ballistic on them if that happened. But it did happen with my ex-bf several times. He would get really mad, but never got into any fights or anything like that. I think its sad that men feel they have to act that way.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
I've never had it happen with my dad next to me. I think my dad would probably go ballistic on them if that happened. But it did happen with my ex-bf several times. He would get really mad, but never got into any fights or anything like that. I think its sad that men feel they have to act that way.
see my dad has the strategy to pretend he doesnt hear anything.

my friend's dad reacted the way yours did and i think thats the norm. my friend was with her dad and 2 men said something like "dammnnnnnnnnnnnn girl you fine as ****". her dad went to them (he is a tiny guy and she said the 2 men were huge) and was going nuts.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I suppose they want a reaction, but why do they want a reaction? What satisfaction do men get from heckling women? Is it a power thing (degrading the woman)? Or maybe they think they'd never have a chance anyway and it's one way to get you to notice them....?
I just ignore it...if they do want a reaction, then I'm not giving it to them.
Yea, I tend to ignore it too. I have flipped them the bird a couple of times, but I feel that gives them some satisfaction so I don't even do that anymore. I just wish for one moment I could be a guy and beat them up! That would make me feel a lot better .

Old 07-26-2009, 07:06 PM

51 posts, read 137,957 times
....or how about when you are with your 13 year old son. This happened yesterday, it was so uncomfortable. I felt bad for my son. He was really worked up about it.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
see my dad has the strategy to pretend he doesnt hear anything.

my friend's dad reacted the way yours did and i think thats the norm. my friend was with her dad and 2 men said something like "dammnnnnnnnnnnnn girl you fine as ****". her dad went to them (he is a tiny guy and she said the 2 men were huge) and was going nuts.
Yea, my dad is not the type that would tolerate that. He's not very tall, but he's a fireman so he works out all the time.

In general, I think its better to ignore. Why let someone ruin your day/night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships