Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:07 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

And Cindy Crawford has done just fine with that big ole mole on her face
Because everything else on her is pretty close to being perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:08 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
why do some women think the mere fact you look at them think you like them?
This can certainly be a problem for the best looking men - say the top 20%. If these guys act friendly or even smile, in a casual setting, they may get unwanted advances. Some of these guys have little conscience and will use this as a way to get some quick sex and then dump these women - often in a rude way.

However, most men never or almost never have this "problem", but when they do, its often a doozer, because they are usually polite and have difficulty disentangling themselves.

Unlike men, women are quite aware of this and are very careful to not give off these vibes to anyone who isn't their type. Most men just assume that while they may appear to be rude, its just a way of avoiding unwanted advances.

This is the way of big cities. When most people lived in small close knit communities, such games would not have been considered, let alone tolerated.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I'm going to raise my hand here and say I think I understand what the OP is saying. For some reason, women feel insecure around men. Which is the reason there are women only gyms, women only yoga classes, women only dorms or sections of dorms.
Well sure. Women get their share of creepy men, as well. All women do not automatically think, "he wants me," when being stared down - whether it be our shirt or what not, absolutely not. Just as she does not know what you are thinking - you do not know what she may be thinking either. While you think she may be thinking, "ha, he wants me," she could very well be flaming you in her mind to get your eyes the heck off her.

Face it, some men do stare longingly. Not every man does the polite 1-2 look and away. Some men just do not know when to turn the eyes away.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Qualifiers need to be added:

Kirstie Alley - attractive eyes for a fat woman. She and I have the same Vetrinarian so Ive seen her a few times at the vet. She was very attractive before she got fat.

Whoopie Goldberg - Cannot be considered attractive. Physically she's not attractive.

Queen Latifah - she has a pretty face for someone who is overweight.

Mia Tyler - Never heard of her.

Again, spoken like the young man I suspect you are

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. A LOT of men would find certain less than model perfect women VERY attractive. You're a bit more superficial in what constitutes beauty - but it's really very subjective.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Well sure. Women get their share of creepy men, as well. All women do not automatically think, "he wants me," when being stared down - whether it be our shirt or what not, absolutely not. Just as she does not know what you are thinking - you do not know what she may be thinking either. While you think she may be thinking, "ha, he wants me," she could very well be flaming you in her mind to get your eyes the heck off her.

Face it, some men do stare longingly. Not every man does the polite 1-2 look and away. Some men just do not know when to turn the eyes away.
No I think you're missing the point. To say that men have to hide their faces is flat out CRAZY anyway. He's not talking about staring down or staring longingly--that's what he's trying to tell you that he is NOT doing--- but merely being in a woman's presence and going about one's business. If women don't have to hide their faces then men should not--this isn't the middle east.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Sometimes the dumb and retarded reasoning of others never ceases to amaze me.

Say you're on the train and you see a woman wearing a top that you think is nice. She looks back, thinking you're looking at her in an amorous way and you can sense she feels nervous.

You then think "look, lady. i'm only admiring your top, don't think I'll even be seen dating you. You're not my type!"

Now, why do women think literally any time a man sees them, it's due to them liking them? Are such women insecure, or even narcissistic, in that they presume all men to like them?
Why do men literally think any time a woman smiles or says hi to them, it's due to them liking them? Are such men insecure, or even narcissistic, in that they presume all women to like them?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
If that is so, I wonder where he plans to take you on your first date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Samston - did you look at my profile pic? Because I'm sensing that you like me ... you really, really like me!

Old 07-27-2009, 12:21 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, spoken like the young man I suspect you are

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. A LOT of men would find certain less than model perfect women VERY attractive. You're a bit more superficial in what constitutes beauty - but it's really very subjective.
You're right, it IS very subjective but our discussion stemmed from TKramer's comment that:

"Physicality isn't all there is to being attractive"

Wherein I challenged him (or anyone) to name someone who most would consider attractive who fail to possess certain physical qualities. I still say it cant be done without qualifiers - ".....she looks good for someone her age", ".....she looks good for someone so obese", ".........she's attractive for someone who's lived a hard jack daniels whiskey drinking, rock and roll tattoo'd life".

Sure people can be considered beautiful for the internal qualities they possess (Mother Teresa, Angelina Jolie, Tammy Fae Baker), but OUR conversation relates to the physical.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Usually when I look at someone in their eyes for several seconds longer than usual that means I like the person. Double takes usually mean you like the person too (considering you aren't snickering and bursting out laughing with your group of obnoxious friends). etc. It's not narcissistic at all. Just don't get your hopes up for anything special and realize that somebody out there finds you attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Why do men literally think any time a woman smiles or says hi to them, it's due to them liking them? Are such men insecure, or even narcissistic, in that they presume all women to like them?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:26 PM

What is 1-2 look and away???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships