Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My friend still lives back in my hometown of 5k people and has VERY few options for dating.

I prefer having a large metro area to roam around instead of having to pick from the 2-3 people that marginally meet what I'm look for and having to settle.
That's the male perspective, - exactly what JeepGirl is tired of. To feel like she's one of being roamed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 07:16 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Default Choice is Agony, choicelessness if Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Young people often see their small town as having nothing to offer, so the options they have, they consider a little more seriously. I believe they're more likely to settle for a person, warts and all.

People in bigger cities tend to behave more or less as if there's an infinite supply of people. Expectations are higher, people are more focused on "What they deserve."
That's just an old saying from the Far East, but there's some wisdom there.

In the big cities we're bombarded with choices. What we would overlook in a person in a small town, we might find totally unacceptable in a city with a myriad of choices. And are those with too many choices any happier in a big city? A good friend of mine who moved from a big city to a small town in Iowa of 85,000 has never been happier. Hasn't been alone for one day there!

I look through the Las Vegas Entertainment section, for entertainment options for the weekend. 20 Karoake bars, which one would be the best?
Lots of shows on the Strip, which one? Many live music options at the bars, which one? Lots of nightclubs, which one?

It's enough to give you a headache! Choices, choices, choices! And, many times on a Saturday night, overwhelmed with all the choices, I fall asleep in front of the TV with the Entertainment section on my lap with lots of circled choices.

Last edited by tijlover; 07-29-2009 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Add some words

Old 07-29-2009, 07:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,973 times
Some of the smallest towns have the best dating sense....they are called college towns well not a lot of dating just a lot of sex.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
They might have fewer to choose from, but those relationships are probably better--if they live in a tight-knit community.

You're in a city full of people and you can't find someone? Seriously? Granted, I work nights, so I don't have that much of an opportunity to spend an evening with someone--which is when most people have time free...but what about the guy pumping gas? What about the person checking out your groceries? The people are out there, and many people are looking.

But people in a city are quick to find reasons to pass on someone because someone "better" will come along, and what if you miss him or her because you're already in a relationship? Or because you let some characteristic stand in the way? Just one little thing?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:54 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
That's the male perspective, - exactly what JeepGirl is tired of. To feel like she's one of being roamed.
I actually agree with that point. With that said, I'd look at the persons track record...some guy that is 45 and never married...is probably more likely to be a "roamer".

The word "roam" was poorly chosen. I should have used date...which means you date around until you find someone you want to focus your attention on.
(at leasts thats how I work.)

What I should have said better is that it's good to live in a larger urban area so that you just have more selection. I think that constantly looking for something better (lacking commitment) is a completely different issue and I've seen that happen in small towns too.

I personally think that things are either working out with your SO or they are not. If they are working, you keep at it, if not...then you need to make some changes or move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships