Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,890,786 times

Advertisements

I think college is great IF you go into a major that will MOST LIKELY pay off. I'm not putting down the majority of college majors or even college itself. I have no bias about people going to college at all. Most of the time, it is the number one way to get ahead in life, I admit that.

I am however saying whatever education you choose to put vast amounts of time and money into, should pay off. Or maybe I'm just crazy for thinking that.

I put my time into an apprenticeship and it paid off. Others put their time into being an xray technician and it pays off. Others put their time into civil engineering and it pays off. Why do they pay off? Because they not only have value to society but demanded value and worth.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:30 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,165,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Do you ever find yourself putting down, or having absolutely no respect for certain college degrees?
Wow! I'm really taken aback by this. "No respect" for a degree? A degree represents academic achievement. Do I have (your words, not mine) "no respect" for that? No, I don't. Not at all, in fact.

Do some achieve more academically than others? Yes, of course. But how can a decent person put down or have "no respect" for someone who achieves less academically than others?

And, by the way, an education is a helluva lot more than skill training in pursuit of a vocation and/or income.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:33 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,165,311 times
Quote:
I am however saying whatever education you choose to put vast amounts of time and money into, should pay off. Or maybe I'm just crazy for thinking that.
You seem to assume that "pay off" is only financial. Educational pursuit is about more than a cost/benefit analysis involving dollar signs.
Are you crazy for thinking that? No. You simply have a very cramped and stunted view of life, IMHO.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
You seem to assume that "pay off" is only financial. Educational pursuit is about more than a cost/benefit analysis involving dollar signs.
Are you crazy for thinking that? No. You simply have a very cramped and stunted view of life, IMHO.
We already went over this. You should go into something you generally enjoy BUT pays off. I'm sure there is something out there for everyone. I enjoy Nintendo, I didn't major in it.

I take care of myself, even loaning money to family and friends. I am no burden to society. I'm my own man making my own money.

So what happens when psych major never repays her debt? Somehow it is coming back to me. I might have bought a home but the rates were too high. Shucks for me. When a debt isn't paid, believe me, the money comes from somewhere else. I could have invested more into retirement but the money I was going to put in was taken by taxes to pay for some jobless/psych major's unemployment.

Ya, it pays off in other ways...out of my pocket.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,215,628 times
This is one ridiculous thread. A persons value should not based upon a degree, career, their car or house....what ever happened to character? Happiness?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
This is one ridiculous thread. A persons value should not based upon a degree, career, their car or house....what ever happened to character? Happiness?
I think he died in a bus in Alaska.

(someone's going to get that)

Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,024,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Really? So, it'd be OK if your husband had his degree and was up to his ears in debt and decided to flip burgers instead of treating patients?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:

So tell me, what degree did you earn? And where did you graduate?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:06 PM

51,976 posts, read 52,426,362 times
Quote:

"Into the wild"

Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Really? So, it'd be OK if your husband had his degree and was up to his ears in debt and decided to flip burgers instead of treating patients?
He is first and foremost a good person. We dated in high school when he wanted to be a professional water skiier Who the heck does that?

His profession had nothing to do with my decision to marry him...who do you think supported us while he was in school? It was me with my "useless" degree in fine arts paying off tens of thousands of dollars worth of school loans, car notes, rent and food and also managing to work a job where I was on call for the city.

My point is, there is no useless degree. Everyone has something to offer whether they have a degree or not and whether some nimwit thinks it is useless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships