Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:20 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
It's very annoying.

I hope Obama never calls me, that's for damn sure. Ever. For anything.
But that's another subject.
Too funny!!! Tried to rep ya on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:33 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Maybe this person does know what to talk about. However this person is trying to talk about something, but does not know. Maybe you should talk to him more. LOL.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
wow, I didn't realize you all were such perfect speakers!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:51 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,947 times
First, I'mma need for yall to back UP off my boy, PRESIDENT Barack Obama...

Coach Tomlin, of the Pittsburgh Steelers, is another one who does a lot of "UH's". It drives me nuts.

What "I" think it is, is they like to THINK about what they're saying, first, before they articulate. The "UH's" are just a mechanism they like to use, but they probably don't even realize they're doing it.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
....is the best way to describe it.I received a call earlier from someone I communicated with online a few months back. He has a beautiful voice, extremely intelligent and articulate but he does the "uh" thing quite a bit. I swear the conversation lasted 20% longer because of it. It's distracting.

Know anyone like this? Why do people do this?
Y'know, I think, uh, people talk like this cause, y'know, they're just nervous or, uh, haven't formed the sentence in their minds before they started, y'know, talking. And uh, Caroline Kennedy got in trouble for, uh, for this when she tried to run for, uh, Hillary Clinton's senate seat. Y'know, I think with her, it, uh, showed how little experience she has with, uh, being interviewed and, y'know, having to answer tough questions. So, while it's, y'know, annoying, I wouldn't, uh, read too much into it. I think, uh, as the person becomes more comfortable with you, they'll, uh, do it a lot less.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
my pet peeve isn't the "uh's" or the "you know" - it's the "or whatever" that young people tend to put in almost every sentence. Kind of like this: "I was going to the store or whatever to get a soda or whatever............." Drives me up a wall

Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Maybe this person does know what to talk about. However this person is trying to talk about something, but does not know. Maybe you should talk to him more. LOL.
Funny you should mention it, because I don't get to speak much when he is talking. I'm in a constant state of suspense, waiting for him to just spit it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Y'know, I think, uh, people talk like this cause, y'know, they're just nervous or, uh, haven't formed the sentence in their minds before they started, y'know, talking. And uh, Caroline Kennedy got in trouble for, uh, for this when she tried to run for, uh, Hillary Clinton's senate seat. Y'know, I think with her, it, uh, showed how little experience she has with, uh, being interviewed and, y'know, having to answer tough questions. So, while it's, y'know, annoying, I wouldn't, uh, read too much into it. I think, uh, as the person becomes more comfortable with you, they'll, uh, do it a lot less.
LOL.

I find that a lot of really intelligent people do this particular thing. I don't know if it's supposed to add to the interesting, urbane, worldly factor, but it really takes from the message. Obama and my friend are just two examples; they are intelligent, articulate men. They're leaders in their profession. I'd think someone would have told them how bad a habit it is.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
I'd make a major bet that every single one of us has at least one quirk of speech or inflection that's an irritant to others.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
....is the best way to describe it.I received a call earlier from someone I communicated with online a few months back. He has a beautiful voice, extremely intelligent and articulate but he does the "uh" thing quite a bit. I swear the conversation lasted 20% longer because of it. It's distracting.

Know anyone like this? Why do people do this?
Isn't this where everyone starts chiming in about running, red flags, never seeing him again etc?

Glass 1/2 full!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:40 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
I'm uh, like ya know, really into this thread, or whatever, ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships