Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,218 times

Advertisements

Austin weather can be a turn off also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 02:30 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
Yes, smelling other people's farts is not very appealing . But actually Seattle is not nearly as congested as San Francisco. The main part of it is all pretty close together - but it is a bit like LA in that it has incorporated the neighboring towns.

My brother lives in Renton and I lived in Bellevue for a while. I worked as a sub but I would often hear people complain about finding teaching jobs while I was up there. So as a teacher, I'm sure you might have a hard time finding work unless you were willing to commute further out. But you might be willing to give it a shot if you are interested.

Some pros: beautiful scenery, lower cost of living, less congested (than LA for example), tons to do, down to earth atmosphere, the ocean, the mountains, friendly people, great art/music scene.

Some cons: the weather (as I'm sure you've heard), and tougher job market for teachers. I really can't think of a lot of cons. But for some, the weather is enough to turn them off. Personally it didn't bother me that much, but I wasn't there for too long and it was sunny for most of my stay.

Good luck with your move!
i definitely would love to check out washington, but due to all my teacher friends here in cali who lost their jobs, i dont think i would move somewhere where it didnt look good for teachers. i remember going to those boards years ago and people said they couldnt find jobs. the good thing about texas is , they need teachers! i have gone to job fairs here in socal and different districts in texas come out here and they arent undesirable areas either. i mention special ed and their eyes light up. i then tell them i am certified for school counseling and they pretty much are honest and say that there, you start out as a teacher then you get the "promotion" (usually the same pay). i am willing to do that though. it seems more districts want school counselors with teaching experience under their belt (i have 2 years of subbing and a 1 year of special ed. student teaching, but most dont consider this valid experience). however, there are some places that hire school counselors that have no teaching experiences. it ultimately depends on the hiring committee and frankly, if they like you. i probably will teach special ed full time in tx until i can change positions to a school counseling one. i enjoy special ed if it is a special ed position i feel i am well suited for (i can not handle being in an ed class or an sld class, but i enjoy rsp positions, full inclusion teaching positions, mr positions, and life skill jobs).

Old 08-06-2009, 02:32 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Austin weather can be a turn off also.
yeah thats the thing. the biggest turn off about austin was the weather. i was "smart" though and have planned my past stays in june, august, and september. i am coming for a visit this september for a few days.
the other thing was kind of the elitist attitude from some locals, but you get that everywhere "cool" it seems.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:37 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
wow. i have heard a million antisemitic remarks on this board and i have been lurking and reading here for less than a month! i am jewish, and i take offense to that.
I did not agree with it either - and corrected her. I believe she understood the message. It's a Raena comment. Consider the source and let it go.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:43 PM

197 posts, read 397,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
we are meeting for a drink at a popular mexican place in my town. i am doing what people suggested here awhile back, and dressing "normal" i am wearing a halter style tank top, jeans, and wedges. i am on my 2nd day of my period though and super bloated. i am trying to wear these jeans out before my date lol. i am comfortable, im just trying to get more of a stretch.
Wow! I would postpone the date you have a lot of confidence to go on a first date with your period. I would have my period on my mind all night. I am always paranoid around that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships