U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-09-2016, 11:44 AM
 
Location: 89434
6,617 posts, read 4,146,494 times
Reputation: 4738

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
The New, Interactive Singles Map.

That should explain it.
18 to 64 is a large age range. When you shrink it down to the 18 to 30 crowd, single guys outnumber single chicks. Single chicks don't start outnumbering guys into their mid-50s Time to go to Eastern Europe.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 03-07-2016, 12:25 PM
 
174 posts, read 187,554 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I was at a travel Meetup event recently in which there were 19 women and 8 men present. It wasn't a single's travel group: two of the men were married. One of the men asked about the gender imbalance and was told that was not a travel thing; it was a Portland social dynamic. When I turned around a few minutes later, he was gone.
Maybe you uncovered the SECRET: they killed that guy while you weren't looking!!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-07-2016, 01:24 PM
 
8,137 posts, read 5,284,627 times
Reputation: 5916
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
I noticed the same thing too!
While living in the DC Metropolitan area, I notice that there are way more women here than men. This is probably why many hardworking, single, attractive women like myself are still single.

When it comes to finding a good, single man in this area, your odds are just like the odds of winning the "Power Ball Lottery" because there is a huge gap in the male to female ratio. Men in the eastern cities seem to take advantage of this male shortage because 90 percent of my friends from this area admitted to being cheated on by their spouses.
I wonder if this is part of why I struggle finding decent men. I had no idea this area had a shortage. I mean I can look around and see I have tons of single female friends but not as many single man friends to match up with the single ladies.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-07-2016, 01:55 PM
 
35 posts, read 11,568 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonnyj View Post
Does anyone notice the shortage in the number of available men in the eastern cities & the surplus of available men in the western cities?
I wonder what could be the cause for this?
All of the tech jobs are on the west coast. Men flock there, and it becomes a paradise for women who can be overly selective.

Having said that, I live on the west coast, and have women initiate conversations/touching multiple dozens of times each month, so....
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-07-2016, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Toronto
857 posts, read 507,291 times
Reputation: 672
It's actually a similar story in Canada. The male-dominant towns are the ones that were oil-rich, with mines, in Western/central Canada. I imagine now that their economies are tanking that is poised to change, however.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-08-2016, 02:26 PM
 
964 posts, read 851,914 times
Reputation: 1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordin View Post

Born/raised here in the Bay Area, but I've had more success with ladies who live immediately outside the region (Sacramento as well).

They don't call it "Man Jose" for nuthin'.
That's only San Jose. It's not the whole Bay Area, not by a long shot. It's never crossed my mind to look in Sacramento. The pickings in the East Bay are enough for me.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-08-2016, 08:36 PM
 
417 posts, read 517,945 times
Reputation: 408
I have been following this thread since this happens to be my reality. I went to a college where the ratio of females to males was 5 to 1. Imagine those odds. Then I went to a city DC that has many more single women than men. Story of my life Even my profession is dominated by women.

It's Not Your Imagination, Single Women: There Literally Aren't Enough Men Out There | VICE | United States

Sorry, ladies, there really is a man shortage | New York Post

Studies have shown that when women outnumber men, the hookup culture is rampant. One of the reasons is because if a woman doesn't give the man what he wants then he will easily find someone else that will. My college was like that. People didn't date they just hooked up and that was in the early 1990s.

The rise of single mothers is probably also due to the fact that there just are not enough men. A woman can either remain childless forever or take it upon herself to have a baby. In addition, many men don't want to commit. I see it in DC all the time.

I am in my 40s, single and live in DC and I can't find anyone. I am too old now. Men have it so easy. Get a decent job and you will find a nice woman. Not so for women. We have to be smart, witty, charming, hot, thin and the list goes on and on. I am so sick of men complaining about how they can't find women. I see trolls all the time with women.

I also feel that we need to stop judging women based on who they marry or don't marry. If we want things to be equal between men and women then society should not judge a woman if her husband doesn't have a degree or wants to be a stay at home dad. Our laws and societal attitudes are catching up to reality and I feel that is hurting many people.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 PM
 
964 posts, read 851,914 times
Reputation: 1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
I have been following this thread since this happens to be my reality. I went to a college where the ratio of females to males was 5 to 1. Imagine those odds. Then I went to a city DC that has many more single women than men. Story of my life Even my profession is dominated by women.

It's Not Your Imagination, Single Women: There Literally Aren't Enough Men Out There | VICE | United States

Sorry, ladies, there really is a man shortage | New York Post

Studies have shown that when women outnumber men, the hookup culture is rampant. One of the reasons is because if a woman doesn't give the man what he wants then he will easily find someone else that will. My college was like that. People didn't date they just hooked up and that was in the early 1990s.

The rise of single mothers is probably also due to the fact that there just are not enough men. A woman can either remain childless forever or take it upon herself to have a baby. In addition, many men don't want to commit. I see it in DC all the time.

I am in my 40s, single and live in DC and I can't find anyone. I am too old now. Men have it so easy. Get a decent job and you will find a nice woman. Not so for women. We have to be smart, witty, charming, hot, thin and the list goes on and on. I am so sick of men complaining about how they can't find women. I see trolls all the time with women.

I also feel that we need to stop judging women based on who they marry or don't marry. If we want things to be equal between men and women then society should not judge a woman if her husband doesn't have a degree or wants to be a stay at home dad. Our laws and societal attitudes are catching up to reality and I feel that is hurting many people.
I hear your pain, Muffy. I've heard generally similar complaints from other women. The whiner dudes who complain about women having it so easy because they're constantly approached by guys should take note of this post.

I have just one correction to mention--unplanned pregnancies, teen pregnancies, and pregnancies of single women without a partner have declined to an all-time low in the last 20 years, or so. I just read that this week.

If what you say about DC is true, I don't know why so many men say the dating in DC is no good. I'm having Deja Vu as I type this. I think a very similar convo went down on this forum a few weeks ago.

Maybe the tech industry should open a center in Maryland or Virginia outside of DC to even out the gender balance.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-08-2016, 11:17 PM
 
Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 3,525,456 times
Reputation: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
I am in my 40s, single and live in DC and I can't find anyone. I am too old now. Men have it so easy. Get a decent job and you will find a nice woman.
lol...if I find myself making 100k (the median income here in Silicon Valley and the entry level salary for a programmer at Google) in the future and women who previously had no interest suddenly become interested, they will be met with great suspicion. I want meaningful sex, not a prostitute.

Quote:
I am so sick of men complaining about how they can't find women. I see trolls all the time with women.
I'm not one of the whiners and I'm against PUA/red pill...but my problem isn't finding women. I have found several people for whom I felt romantic feelings (and many hundreds of thousands for whom I felt sexual feelings, but I'm looking for something meaningful). My problem is that they don't find me; they don't reciprocate my feelings.

Yeah I'm 38, I'm too old also but perhaps in a different way. I wanted children and marriage when I was younger but I consider myself too old to start raising children at this point, and therefore I'm not interested in marriage anymore either. I just want a close friendship that evolves into friends with benefits, and then evolves into a long term relationship.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-09-2016, 12:25 AM
 
3,443 posts, read 4,131,230 times
Reputation: 4934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
I have been following this thread since this happens to be my reality. I went to a college where the ratio of females to males was 5 to 1. Imagine those odds. Then I went to a city DC that has many more single women than men. Story of my life Even my profession is dominated by women.

Studies have shown that when women outnumber men, the hookup culture is rampant. One of the reasons is because if a woman doesn't give the man what he wants then he will easily find someone else that will. My college was like that. People didn't date they just hooked up and that was in the early 1990s.

The rise of single mothers is probably also due to the fact that there just are not enough men. A woman can either remain childless forever or take it upon herself to have a baby. In addition, many men don't want to commit. I see it in DC all the time.

I am in my 40s, single and live in DC and I can't find anyone. I am too old now. Men have it so easy. Get a decent job and you will find a nice woman. Not so for women. We have to be smart, witty, charming, hot, thin and the list goes on and on. I am so sick of men complaining about how they can't find women. I see trolls all the time with women.

D.C. is full of single men.


More so than many other cities I've been to.


Your problem is that you are looking for a man that is ready to settle down.


One that is in your age group.


That will be difficult.


But not impossible.


Ladies......stop saying there is a shortage of men.


There are plenty of men to go around.


You may have to lower your standards a bit. YEAH, I SAID IT. LOWER THEM A BIT.


You may have to move to a different city and go to places where men hang out.


You may have to do a few things differently to make yourself get noticed a bit more.


Nobody has anything easy these days.


If you are a woman looking for a man.


Get out of the house....throw on a smile and learn to say hello when you see someone you like.


You have to make an effort to be seen.


Hiding at home, complaining about how men have it so easy and how hard it is to find a man in your 40's isn't going to get you anywhere.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top