U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 11:57 AM

40,157 posts, read 31,729,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
San Francisco Bay is the most depressing place I've ever been to. I have a bunch of friends who work for tech industry in the bay area and most of them are miserable.
I didn't find it depressing at all. Great events, good cheap food, weather is perfect... but the dating scene for a dude was a wasteland, so I just kept running, seeing bands, hiking, doing photography, etc.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-14-2016, 12:01 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,327,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I worked for an environmental conservation org in SF (definitely not a techie), and I'll tell you, single available women in the mid 30s to early 40s range were virtually non existent in that area. I was out walking, going to events in the park, doing groups, etc with almost all my free time. Wasteland.

I tend to believe it because of the stories I hear from my lady friends, and when I go out with a female friend if I leave them for 60 seconds and come back as often or not there is some dude there trying to chat her up. Especially true at concerts/shows.
This is exactly my experience as well. Happy hours, Meetup.com get togethers, concerts...it doesn't really matter where it is or what the event is. If the women looks remotely approachable, isn't doing the mean face thing to ward men off, and doesn't have a ring on...she's going to get swarmed with attention. It might take 10 minutes, it might take 20 minutes, but it's going to happen.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:01 PM

26,427 posts, read 29,181,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I thought you were married Fleetie?
Nope. Never been married.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:04 PM

735 posts, read 533,019 times
Quote:
I didn't find it depressing at all. Great events, good cheap food, weather is perfect... but the dating scene for a dude was a wasteland, so I just kept running, seeing bands, hiking, doing photography, etc.
It's nice to visit, but it's not a great place to live. I didn't find good cheap food, some good food but not really cheap.

The drought in California is extremely severe. There's virtually no available woman at all. Great events and beautiful coastline are nice to have, but water and women are absolutely essential for men to survive.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:08 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,327,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Add me to the list of women that do not get approached! I don't go out to bars and things as much as I could I suppose, but I am out and about a lot. I get looked at and stared at, but not approached. The last time it happened out in a very public setting (that I can remember) was when I stopped at a gas station to grab a bottle of water on my way into work. And this was before I moved to Oregon from California over 6 months ago! Oh wait... there was this one man in a bar about 2 months ago. But he was drunk and looking to get laid and I would imagine I was not the only woman he had tried to hit on.
if you want approached, act like it.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:20 PM

92,267 posts, read 89,713,687 times
Quote:
I tend to believe it because of the stories I hear from my lady friends, and when I go out with a female friend if I leave them for 60 seconds and come back as often or not there is some dude there trying to chat her up. Especially true at concerts/shows.
But you've posted in the past that your women friends (whether friends or actual gf's) tend to be unusually attractive, and get hit on all the time. Women who are just average-cute don't get approached. Nor even responded to if they do the approaching, generally. Like the guys, they have to join a lot of activities and make a lot of effort to circulate, and even then, results are slim, if any at all. These things take time. It's not the myth mothers raise their daughters with, that they don't have to do anything, and men will flock to them. That's one of the worst ideas anyone could raise girls with.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:23 PM

3,515 posts, read 2,064,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
if you want approached, act like it.

Seriously? What does "acting like it" consist of, oh wise one?

Old 07-14-2016, 12:25 PM

735 posts, read 533,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But you've posted in the past that your women friends (whether friends or actual gf's) tend to be unusually attractive, and get hit on all the time. Women who are just average-cute don't get approached. Nor even responded to if they do the approaching, generally. Like the guys, they have to join a lot of activities and make a lot of effort to circulate, and even then, results are slim, if any at all. These things take time. It's not the myth mothers raise their daughters with, that they don't have to do anything, and men will flock to them. That's one of the worst ideas anyone could raise girls with.
"More than one-third (35.7 percent) of adults are considered to be obese. More than 1 in 20 (6.3 percent) have extreme obesity. Almost 3 in 4 men (74 percent) are considered to be overweight or obese. The prevalence of obesity is similar for both men and women (about 36 percent)."
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inf...tatistics.aspx

It's certain that there are a lot of unattractive men and women.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:27 PM

26,427 posts, read 29,181,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But you've posted in the past that your women friends (whether friends or actual gf's) tend to be unusually attractive, and get hit on all the time.
And they're at bars/shows which are generally places where people do get hit on. And he's said that his women friends are in to metal and beer, which tend to have a higher male to female ratio. If he'd gone to brunch or a gallery opening and left her alone, there's a good chance the ladyfriend would still be alone when he got back.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:28 PM

92,267 posts, read 89,713,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
"More than one-third (35.7 percent) of adults are considered to be obese. More than 1 in 20 (6.3 percent) have extreme obesity. Almost 3 in 4 men (74 percent) are considered to be overweight or obese. The prevalence of obesity is similar for both men and women (about 36 percent)."
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inf...tatistics.aspx

It's certain that there are a lot of unattractive men and women.
I've always found it odd that people bring up obesity when talking about women who can't get dates. Obesity is not involved. On the West Coast, there isn't that much obesity. I'm talking about slim women, attractive in an average way. Not even "plain Janes", though you can bet those don't get any attention, no matter how skewed the male/female ration is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.