Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:23 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times

Advertisements

Say all you want but factor in the more approchable attitudes and more willingness to "trying different flavors" approach of women out West, that more than neutralizes the disproportinate male-female ratio for me personally.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etain2 View Post
I'll tell my single friends where to vacation next
Trust me the West is no singles mecca. Sure most everyone I know is single. But they are perpetually single. People are very independent and also very BUSY out here so dating/relationships are only among the college age. Its hard to explain but relationships don't flourish out here maybe its the depression from living at high altitude who knows? Though another thing comes to mind is people in West are very materialistic and judge potential dates by do they make over $50,000 and what is their BMI. If there's so many single men out here then why do I know so many single women that haven't dated in the 10 years I've known them? And no they aren't all lesbians either. Most of the single men are college age or else migrant workers with a wife still on the other side of the border. I tell anyone wanting to move here to bring a GF/BF with them because you won't get one here. I've known so many friends who have been single then they move far away and suddenly they have luck in finding a nice partner. The Easterners have relationships; while the Westerners are lonely and single.

If you are in the East stay there if you ever want to get married and have a family. Actually the local Goodwill employee told me people are moving out in droves from this town (hard times here - all the big businesses are closing down.) So hold on Easterners ...stay put... we're coming east and most of us are single! lol Yep I'm leaving this God forsaken town in 3 weeks too!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,745 times
I don't know...but from traveling around, I've always felt that men in the West Coast/SW in particular were very happy with just staying single and playing the field. And I do have to say, I can't really blame them considering the ridiculous amount of charming/attractive women in states likeTX/AZ for example. I almost think this might be an issue of both options and quantity...compare being a single male age 26 in Austin Texas vs being a single male age 26 in Buffalo New York, one is booming and filled with young people while the other is shrinking and older in population. Outside of areas like Atlanta, Boston, DC, NY, Miami, Philly, etc...I think a lot of the midwestern/north eastern cities having an older and more "family" oriented population has a lot to do with men taking themselves off the market. You're comparing apples to oranges in a lot of ways when it comes to options and common lifestyles...everything from weather patterns, cost of living, population inflow, amount of available hobbies, and even stupid things like what car you're able to drive due to topography and climate can weigh on a guy's decision to stay single or settle down. Being single as a whole appears to be much easier to stick with for guys in sunnier, growing states out west than it is in the wintery east and midwest.

I'll say this much, it's been discussed in volume that it's a night and day difference between the respective 20s dating pool compared to the current middle 30s+ dating pool in Pittsburgh. A lot of this has to do with the demographic shifts and out migration of the 80s and 90s while the city was still feeling the effects from the steel bust. I guess you could say that the overall pool to pick from was shrinking rapidly during that time and early marriage was common for a lot of people for various reasons. As the city reinvented itself and underwent a bit of a rebirth economically, the city has gotten younger over the last decade with more college grads sticking around and creating a larger population of 20-somethings compared to prior decades. I imagine that this sort of thing has happened in a lot of cities throughout the east. So again, I think it's just a matter of comparing regions and territories that are/have been in continual "boom" phases for the last so many decades vs comparing regions and territories that have been shedding population. Successful guys who are able to keep busy just seem to have more options out west to keep their minds off of marriage.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 04-25-2010 at 07:37 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I have known about these statistics for many years. I notice a lot more women when I travel East. I see way more males than females here in Vegas. I wonder if that will be changing now that the construction industry is in such bad shape here?

I think this all comes down to "Go West young man".More single men are open to relocating away from friends and family.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:10 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I see way more males than females here in Vegas.
Maybe that has something to do with prostitution being legal in Vegas.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
men dont wanna compete with me so they move to the opposite side of the country. this has been proven fact by smart science people

Old 04-27-2010, 02:14 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,360,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Trust me the West is no singles mecca. Sure most everyone I know is single. But they are perpetually single. People are very independent and also very BUSY out here so dating/relationships are only among the college age. Its hard to explain but relationships don't flourish out here maybe its the depression from living at high altitude who knows? Though another thing comes to mind is people in West are very materialistic and judge potential dates by do they make over $50,000 and what is their BMI. If there's so many single men out here then why do I know so many single women that haven't dated in the 10 years I've known them? And no they aren't all lesbians either. Most of the single men are college age or else migrant workers with a wife still on the other side of the border. I tell anyone wanting to move here to bring a GF/BF with them because you won't get one here. I've known so many friends who have been single then they move far away and suddenly they have luck in finding a nice partner. The Easterners have relationships; while the Westerners are lonely and single.

If you are in the East stay there if you ever want to get married and have a family. Actually the local Goodwill employee told me people are moving out in droves from this town (hard times here - all the big businesses are closing down.) So hold on Easterners ...stay put... we're coming east and most of us are single! lol Yep I'm leaving this God forsaken town in 3 weeks too!
+100. Dating is definitely ALOT harder on the West Coast than it is the South. The "expectation" to get married is definitely less pronounced here. Maybe due to the fact that there's less "traditional" mores and cultural values when it comes to relationships out here than in the Heartland...

Old 04-27-2010, 03:48 PM

614 posts, read 1,375,956 times
If there are so many females on the east coast why aren't I dating one of them!? lol now you have to remember that all aren't soooo good looking, then there are the ones looking to get a rich BF... Ok I'm not that guy. But there seems to be too many gold [diggers] out there.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-21-2016 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
If there are so many females on the east coast why aren't I dating one of them!? lol now you have to remember that all aren't soooo good looking, then there are the ones looking to get a rich BF... Ok I'm not that guy. But there seems to be too many gold [diggers] out there.

Yeah, but kind of hard to be a gold digger when 99% of ya are broke....

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-21-2016 at 12:53 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 08:36 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,504 times
well this just throws a wrench into everything.

Was planning a possible move out west at the end of the year, partly because I need a change and partly because there seemed to be more single people around my age. Plenty of single people here, in their seventies and eighties. That's ok, but I don't know how to play canasta and I don't like to have dinner at 4:30.

Perhaps I should reconsider. I'm not necessarily looking to settle down...would if the opportunity and timing were right... but would like to meet some interesting people in my generational bracket.

If all the single ladies read this and head out west, and all the single guys move east, this trend is going to be completely reversed in ten years or so

I'm guessing I'll just find a PLACE I like. Yeah, that should be easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships