U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 PM
 
4,837 posts, read 8,337,318 times
Reputation: 3014

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMcNulty View Post
Single women outnumber single men EVERYWHERE. This is due to the fact that all women WANT to be single, women couldn't care less about finding a guy.
This doesn't make any sense. Are you trying to be funny? What about gay men and men who have packed 'er in?

Basically, there are always a lot more men where there are jobs available since men must move to work. In such places, women take it for granted that men will kiss their a$$ to get a date and really enjoy putting most men through the hoops. However, once they marry, they are happy that they have snagged a good looking dude with a job and have a considerably higher number of children than elsewhere.

Unmarried men up to age 35 are unhappy with this but eventually, they realize that they are probably lucky. A lot of them around here.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 PM
 
Location: suburbs of NYC en route to southern Illinois
186 posts, read 197,106 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Just go to Cleveland! Hang out w Betty White!

Haha, I love Betty White. Why does she live in Cleveland or something? Are you saying I'm old enough to be a Golden Girl?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-28-2010, 11:00 PM
 
Location: suburbs of NYC en route to southern Illinois
186 posts, read 197,106 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Basically, there are always a lot more men where there are jobs available since men must move to work. In such places, women take it for granted that men will kiss their a$$ to get a date and really enjoy putting most men through the hoops.

Ha! I want to move there! It's the opposite here, where the ratio of women to me is reversed. Seriously, where do you live?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-29-2010, 08:40 AM
 
8,519 posts, read 14,675,795 times
Reputation: 7671
Quote:
Originally Posted by susangggg View Post
There's a *plethora* of articles on this. It doesn't actually even out, and sexual orientation was never factored into those numbers (more gay men than gay women). Richard Florida's research does divide by age range and finds about 200,000 extra single women in NYC alone. Also, here there is the fashion and theatre industry to contend with for women. The east coast cities esp. NY draws the best and brightest so there are egos and models to contend with.

You'll have a great time here as a guy! I, however can't take it anymore and am leaving for the midwest where there are 105 single men for every 100 single women.
Can you list some of these articles? Also, if you're planning to move to the midwest, keep in mind that people tend to be a lot heavier out here. So while you may find more single men, you may not necessarily be pleased with the selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susangggg View Post
Yes it's terrible here. Are you sure about this? I wonder if maybe they're not the best guys? Is there a way to know what guys won't cheat if given the chance?
Women are often very good at figuring out which guys will stay faithful. The problem is that, too often, women will take these guys for granted because they know those guys will always be there for them.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM
 
Location: suburbs of NYC en route to southern Illinois
186 posts, read 197,106 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Can you list some of these articles? Also, if you're planning to move to the midwest, keep in mind that people tend to be a lot heavier out here. So while you may find more single men, you may not necessarily be pleased with the selection.

Right, heavier people, so I won't be competing with models. Also, as I already mentioned like a thousand times I only want to find serious guys who aren't flakey and have relationship skills. Don't know how stupid you think us unhappy women are.

I'm not sure which of these have the information, but this is my bookmark folder for demographic/ratio info since I don't have time to go thru all this. It's there somewhere

Article - Gender in the United States

Moderator cut: link removed

United States - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Creative Class » Blog Archive » The Singles Map - Creative Class

Who's Your City?
/maps/#The_Singles_Map

Creative Class » Blog Archive » The Singles Map - Creative Class

A singles map of the United States of America - The Boston Globe

lust for life » singles map of the united states, revisited

http://elvaliente.wordpress.com/2008...r-singles-map/

Half Sigma: The unmarried male/female ratio project

http://funkybrownchick.com/images/na...ingles-map.jpg

The New, Interactive Singles Map. Or, Looking for Love in All the Statistically Wrong Places.

Myths About Dating in Cities - Dating and Geography - Marie Claire

Corrected Singles Map Means Ladies Get to Have Standards Again

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:05 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
 
8,519 posts, read 14,675,795 times
Reputation: 7671
Quote:
Originally Posted by susangggg View Post
Don't know how stupid you think us unhappy women are.
If someone told me they were unhappy, the first thing I'd ask is what they're doing to change it. You've made it clear that you want to move to a new city in the hopes that you'll find a better selection of single men. Personally, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment, but if you really think it'll make a difference, then by all means move. Second, I would ask that person how much of their unhappiness is their own doing. I have a friend who's a divorced woman over 40. She wants to be in a relationship, but complains that men her age are overweight, have kids, and/or are too set in their ways. Notice how self-defeating her attitude is. Even if what she's saying is true, that's beside the point. The problem is that she's going out into the world with her mind made up that she won't meet a great guy. There's a saying. I can't remember exactly how it goes, but it's something along the lines of you find what you expect to find. Because she's predisposed to think the worst of men in her age group, she's completely oblivious to the good ones that are out there.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-29-2010, 01:41 PM
 
Location: syracuse ny
2,412 posts, read 4,802,382 times
Reputation: 2036
Quote:
Originally Posted by susangggg View Post
Haha, I love Betty White. Why does she live in Cleveland or something? Are you saying I'm old enough to be a Golden Girl?
She's on a new show called Hot In Cleveland. The premise is these three attractive 40ish+ woman find they're nobodies in LA, but in Cleveland they're "hot", Betty White plays their (I'm not making this up) Pot smoking house caretaker. It's on wednesday nights at 10 ON TVLAND, it's a big hit.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM
 
8,519 posts, read 14,675,795 times
Reputation: 7671
Quote:
Originally Posted by susangggg View Post
I went through these links. The majority link back to the same two places.

A singles map of the United States of America - The Boston Globe

The New, Interactive Singles Map. Or, Looking for Love in All the Statistically Wrong Places.

The first link is what started it all. It shows that women outnumber men in the east and men outnumber women in the west. The second link is the same map I was referring to in a previous post, the one you claim doesn't show that things even out when you adjust for age. Problem is that it does. If I leave the age range at 18-64, the map looks like the one from the first link. But if I change the range to 30-39, it becomes blue on both sides of the country.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:06 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-29-2010, 05:00 PM
 
Location: suburbs of NYC en route to southern Illinois
186 posts, read 197,106 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
She's on a new show called Hot In Cleveland. The premise is these three attractive 40ish+ woman find they're nobodies in LA, but in Cleveland they're "hot", Betty White plays their (I'm not making this up) Pot smoking house caretaker. It's on wednesday nights at 10 ON TVLAND, it's a big hit.
omg, thanks SO much for it. I'm gonna SO facebook it and share it with my friend who's moving with me. Kinda like 'Men in Trees' huh? Zany NYC writer/romance coach chick gets cheated on by her dbag fiance and moves to Alaska where it's these gruff, masculine bearded types everywhere. She still acts like a dits though and lets the guy she likes have all the control, plus she doesnt even bother playing the field, so it's not that easy for her (Anne Heche is so retarded)- but it is for her friends, especially the cute redheaded chick who's been looking in NYC for like years and falls in love with a nice boyfriend in like 2 months. (great premise, terrible show lol.)

It also reminds me of the article in frisky.com where this NYC writer chick(who *mentions* Men in Trees no less ) moves to Missouri, and says she's "fat and average" in NYC, but in Missouri, she's hot. Lol. She suddenly gets alot of attention and gets asked out the first week of moving there.

I've also recently read an article by a woman from NYC who went to SF and stated she'd go out and see women who couldn't get attention at a dive bar in New York, being followed around by 2 or 3 decent men like they were puppy dogs...she was never so amazed at anything in her life. And this woman was a model with an engineering degree.

We need to leverage our looks for attention and good treatment, but we have very few playing cards here. Some (hetero male) blogger out there told me, there are only 2 options to have any leverage here are:
1. Move out of NYC or
2. Use personality!

(The trouble with 2 is that there are ALSO many personality-super women around TOO!!! Plus, it will only hold so long because a man will eventually cheat on you easily when he gets bored, or make you feel bad about not being perfect and talk about other women. Plus, it's just plain *disgusting* to see below-average men with women *way* out of their league constantly, and see all the women here terribly worried about being cheated on. I REFUSE the entire paradigm.)

The problem is that, if you're hot in NYC, there are also 10 other chicks on Broadway walking alongside you who are hot too, so there's not alot of value you have to the men here; they move on quite quickly and usually play the field with several women at once, while we don't find anywhere *near* the same amount of desirable guys. It's awful but at least I don't hate men anymore, because I realize it's just NYC men.


Just you wait and see, Dennycrane, just you wait and see!!!!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-29-2010, 05:12 PM
 
Location: suburbs of NYC en route to southern Illinois
186 posts, read 197,106 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I went through these links. The majority link back to the same two places.

A singles map of the United States of America - The Boston Globe

The New, Interactive Singles Map. Or, Looking for Love in All the Statistically Wrong Places.

The first link is what started it all. It shows that women outnumber men in the east and men outnumber women in the west. The second link is the same map I was referring to in a previous post, the one you claim doesn't show that things even out when you adjust for age. Problem is that it does. If I leave the age range at 18-64, the map looks like the one from the first link. But if I change the range to 30-39, it becomes blue on both sides of the country.
What are you talking about, the map? Yeah it's a map created by Richard Florida. There's only one, and the one adjusted. I am not sure what you mean about the map you referred to in a previous post.

Furthermore, you are only adjusting for 30-39, which is sort of presumptious (and a bit insulting) of you. I can easily date college men or guys in their 40s, no big deal. That should change the numbers around, as should adjusting for the HIGH percentage of gay men.

I'm not going into the whole statistics thing because it's not adjusted for homosexuality anyway. The ratio is only one part of the problem with NYC that I've been bitching about. Living there MY WHOLE LIFE, you *WILL NOT* be able to convince me that ultimately, it 'generally evens out'. There's enough evidence here that it doesn't. I read through all this info before and understand that one can narrow down by age, but that's not what Richard Florida's work shows anyway.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top