U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 08:37 PM

511 posts, read 358,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I heard Phoenix is pretty good for men actually, maybe give it some more time. It's a growing metro with the types of jobs that women flock to and that's what you need as a guy trying to date at 40. I wager it's much much better than the rust belt metros and Marcellus Shale white pickup truck, swinging sausage invasion.
It's not been good for me. I haven't had a date in well over three years, and I'm not getting any younger, so I'm applying elsewhere.

I'm one of these "elusive" educated professionals that just spent three years making rather good money in a white collar corporate HQ, and romance has been proverbial Arizona tumbleweeds. The last time someone was interested in me was just after I moved back here and was unemployed and living with family. Eff this backwards place. I'm out.

Last edited by Mr_Polymath; 09-18-2016 at 08:59 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 09-18-2016, 08:43 PM

9,784 posts, read 4,692,607 times
It's hard not to believe that you're being too picky!
Scottsdale? If you're not opposed to OLD, widen your search. On POF I have my radius at 100 miles.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Have you considered Flagstaff or Santa Fe? Maybe you need to stay in Phx for your job, IDK, but isn't Phoenix pretty conventional, maybe a little old-fashioned/traditional, while you seem like more of a progressive and somewhat unconventional kind of guy? Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points, it was just a thought.
I'm "conventional" so far as the half of the country that aren't Fox News Geezers™. Most younger AZ denizens are more progressive, just like most metros.

I like the big city: I like a lively, modern scene; I'm a foodie; I like warm weather; I like the ocean (I'm learning to sail at the moment... yeah, I know, "Get out of AZ" ... Working on it ), so I'm looking SE, something coastal.

Santa Fe is quaint and all, but waaaaaaaaaaay too artsy-fartsy, aging hippie, dream-interpretation paintings for me. I'm more urban art, alternative styles, & experimental crossover genres. Big city scene stuff.

Been to Flag a number of times. I'd rather die trapped under rubble than move there... LOL! Sedona and Jerome have more appeal, but they're too much in Santa Fe territory.

Last edited by Mr_Polymath; 09-18-2016 at 09:00 PM..

Old 09-18-2016, 08:53 PM

63,180 posts, read 53,967,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
Scottsdale? If you're not opposed to OLD, widen your search. On POF I have my radius at 100 miles.
Depends. When I did OKCupid, I expanded my search to other countries.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I'm really not that picky... at all (that's why it's so depressing ), and my radius is just shy of out-of-metro areas like San Tan Valley and Casa Grande. It's seriously that bad for me here. Like I said, I give up on living here. I didn't want to move back here to begin with.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:01 PM

42,759 posts, read 49,400,928 times
Can't believe there isn't any nerdy gal for you Mr.Polymath?

Old 09-18-2016, 09:05 PM

47,130 posts, read 46,604,893 times
Phoenix is pretty bland. I like it though, the summers are a little too much for me. My last companies headquarters was in Phoenix. I've been in the Phoenix area a million times, I like east Mesa, Scottsdale, and Queen Creek, all pretty suburban and not much going on, but it's cool with me. If I could handle the heat better I'd move there, matter of fact I looked at homes there a few years ago. I'm an old married/coupled up guy so I couldn't care less about the dating situation there. It's a pretty huge metro and I wouldn't imagine there being that much of an issue dating, it's not like it's some Podunk town in the middle of Indiana or Nebraska or whatever.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:07 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,331,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
It's not been good for me. I haven't had a date in well over three years, and I'm not getting any younger, so I'm applying elsewhere.

I'm one of these "elusive" educated professionals that just spent three years making rather good money in a white collar corporate HQ, and romance has been proverbial Arizona tumbleweeds. The last time someone was interested in me was just after I moved back here and was unemployed and living with family. Eff this backwards place. I'm out.
That stinks bro I know I always heard Vegas was horrible for dating as a guy. Maybe that trickles over into Phoenix for whatever reason. Well good luck anyways I know the struggle is real at our age. I would start looking in other countries honestly.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
When you're a single guy that's 40 in the US...I believe everything he says.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I've messaged my fair share (mainly Ok Cupid which leans more towards my type)... and got a whole lot of dead air. All the ones out in the fray are taken. Frankly, I'm utterly burnt out at this point. My focus is on my freelance work, building career relationships, growing my savings, and getting relocated outta Dodge. Most of my possessions are in a POD unit ready to go wherever.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 PM

42,759 posts, read 49,400,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
That stinks bro I know I always heard Vegas was horrible for dating as a guy. Maybe that trickles over into Phoenix for whatever reason. Well good luck anyways I know the struggle is real at our age. I would start looking in other countries honestly.

When you're a single guy that's 40 in the US...I believe everything he says.
I don't. I'm 39 and there are tons of great 40 women out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.