U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-19-2016, 08:53 AM
 
63,178 posts, read 53,967,836 times
Reputation: 18926

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
1% - 3% is bad? Factor in gay men, incarcerated men, and the fact that immigrants are disproportionately male and it's probably in line with M:F birth and mortality rates in that age group.

I mean, I suck and I know it, but I'm at least a 10%'er... LOL!
In Atlanta, there is a large gay population. There is the possible of down-low men(gay men who will have girlfriends/wives). With that, you have to take the same tone with the women. There is a lesbian factor to consider.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 AM
 
895 posts, read 1,383,260 times
Reputation: 2188
Quote:
Originally Posted by armsman View Post
I'm not doubting that there's a massive imbalance here. What I'm saying is that there's a massive imbalance everywhere.

Most places in the US suck for men. That's why women can be so picky and so nasty. It's also why women can't fathom the fact that men struggle despite there being absolutely nothing wrong with the men.
Clearly you are correct based on the statistics you present. It is interesting, however, if you analyze the counts on Match.com you will see that within an age range of say 35-45 NYC has far more women and Phoenix has far more men.


This creates a horrific dating situation for men based on a couple of factors. 1) The majority of single men are after a small minority of women to begin with (Probably 90% of men chase the top 10% of women) 2) One man will hit on ten women in any given night, and each of those ten thinks she was the only one he pursued, while in reality the number of men appears to be grossly over exaggerated as each sends out 20 or 30 messages on match.com or hits on multiple women at the night club.


Dating in the US is extremely difficult for men, and Phoenix is the capital of "average women are spectacular". Overseas ->
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 10:09 AM
 
63,178 posts, read 53,967,836 times
Reputation: 18926
Quote:
Originally Posted by armsman View Post
Here's a chart based on what I was talking about:



I didn't even realize that it was this bad. Kind of makes you question whether or not to even bother, eh?
I went to an interactive map. It's actually worse. For singles ages 20-34, there are only 4 cities where women outnumber men: Savannah,GA;Jackson,MS;Mobile,AL;Durham,NC. Jackson, at 24 unmatched women per 1000, has the highest rate of single women in the USA for that age range.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,217 posts, read 21,305,997 times
Reputation: 8289
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Clearly you are correct based on the statistics you present. It is interesting, however, if you analyze the counts on Match.com you will see that within an age range of say 35-45 NYC has far more women and Phoenix has far more men.


This creates a horrific dating situation for men based on a couple of factors. 1) The majority of single men are after a small minority of women to begin with (Probably 90% of men chase the top 10% of women) 2) One man will hit on ten women in any given night, and each of those ten thinks she was the only one he pursued, while in reality the number of men appears to be grossly over exaggerated as each sends out 20 or 30 messages on match.com or hits on multiple women at the night club.


Dating in the US is extremely difficult for men, and Phoenix is the capital of "average women are spectacular". Overseas ->
So let me guess in a place like Phoenix, women can be choosy about marriage just like men in NYC and DC due to imbalance.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 12:48 PM
 
5,721 posts, read 5,331,564 times
Reputation: 4368
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I went to an interactive map. It's actually worse. For singles ages 20-34, there are only 4 cities where women outnumber men: Savannah,GA;Jackson,MS;Mobile,AL;Durham,NC. Jackson, at 24 unmatched women per 1000, has the highest rate of single women in the USA for that age range.
I found the stats one time for the age 35-45 bracket it was truly horrifying. I never wanted to look at it again. That bracket is when it really starts to get bad for men.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 02:41 PM
 
63,178 posts, read 53,967,836 times
Reputation: 18926
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I found the stats one time for the age 35-45 bracket it was truly horrifying. I never wanted to look at it again. That bracket is when it really starts to get bad for men.
It doesn't start to change until after 45. However, this often has to do with

1) Divorce
2) Widows
3) Women who were never married in the first place.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,217 posts, read 21,305,997 times
Reputation: 8289
Another reason why the South has more women than men, has to be attributed that most of the US armed forces his made up of Southerners. Plenty of Southern men go off to join the armed forces. This creates a bit of abundance in some women. Also some parts of the south that lack industry have high proportion of women due to men leaving for work. Much of the US is mainly single men. In cities like NYC and DC have plenty of single men. Its just that DC and NYC have an abundance of educated females compared to the former that women do not find desirable.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Jupiter
10,170 posts, read 7,431,622 times
Reputation: 8390
I think many women are single because they want to be. When you have so many options of men why settle down?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 05:42 PM
 
6,307 posts, read 8,355,074 times
Reputation: 8130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I think many women are single because they want to be. When you have so many options of men why settle down?
Thankfully, at least in certain areas of the world, the days of women needing a man for economic and social survival are just about done. Women are, in great part, in a position where they don't need to settle down, or to get married for financial or social reasons.

So, yes, in a lot of cases, single women are single because they want to be. Just like single men are. However, while I am sure that some women enjoy their "options", there are still quite a lot that do want to settle down in one fashion or another. And when they do settle down, it's going to be with someone that they choose, for whatever reasons they deem suitable. You know, kind of like it's been with the guys since the dawn of time.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 05:50 PM
 
Location: 🇬🇧 In jolly old London! 🇬🇧
15,671 posts, read 10,210,743 times
Reputation: 12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Thankfully, at least in certain areas of the world, the days of women needing a man for economic and social survival are just about done. Women are, in great part, in a position where they don't need to settle down, or to get married for financial or social reasons.

So, yes, in a lot of cases, single women are single because they want to be. Just like single men are. However, while I am sure that some women enjoy their "options", there are still quite a lot that do want to settle down in one fashion or another. And when they do settle down, it's going to be with someone that they choose, for whatever reasons they deem suitable. You know, kind of like it's been with the guys since the dawn of time.
I completely agree that a lot that are single ( both sexes ) are single by choice

As for the options..... LOL it's quite funny when blokes believe this because if she's not at all interested in any one that they meet for whatever reason then they are not actually an option, yet blokes that see various men approaching a lady still consider them options..... LOL.

So you're right... Only a suitable and right one is the only option they have
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:22 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top