U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2010, 05:28 PM
 
221 posts, read 315,123 times
Reputation: 261

Advertisements

Well you fail to realize susan, that when you move to get away from these exceptional women, you will be leaving the exceptional men behind as well.

You might have a better pick, but you might not like your choices.

But denny crane is right anyways. Any male domination you sense is an illusion. Single Males outnumber women on both coasts, when you account for the fact that men die sooner than women, those females that make your dot of the map pink are 70 years old.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 AM
 
8,519 posts, read 14,628,158 times
Reputation: 7671
Quote:
Originally Posted by susangggg View Post
What are you talking about, the map? Yeah it's a map created by Richard Florida. There's only one, and the one adjusted. I am not sure what you mean about the map you referred to in a previous post.
Richard Florida's map doesn't take into account age. Jonathan Soma's does. Does it take into account other factors like who's gay? No. But the bottom line is that it's a more useful measure of male-to-female ratios than Florida's map. Soma's map is the one I was referring to in my previous post.

//www.city-data.com/forum/10136502-post7.html

You responded to that post by saying "There's a *plethora* of articles on this. It doesn't actually even out." There's two problems with that statement. First, this "plethora" of articles you provided all link back to the same two maps so it's really not a plethora at all. One of those maps can easily be discarded since it doesn't take into account age. Second, you claim that the gender disparity doesn't even out even though, as I just showed using Soma's map, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susangggg View Post
Furthermore, you are only adjusting for 30-39, which is sort of presumptious (and a bit insulting) of you. I can easily date college men or guys in their 40s, no big deal. That should change the numbers around, as should adjusting for the HIGH percentage of gay men.
Why do you assume the age range I selected was based on you? It wasn't. It was based on me. I chose it because I'm in my 30s and would prefer to date people who are also in their 30s. And as I demonstrated, the ratio of single women to single men wouldn't change much if I moved to another city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susangggg View Post
I'm not going into the whole statistics thing because it's not adjusted for homosexuality anyway. The ratio is only one part of the problem with NYC that I've been bitching about. Living there MY WHOLE LIFE, you *WILL NOT* be able to convince me that ultimately, it 'generally evens out'. There's enough evidence here that it doesn't. I read through all this info before and understand that one can narrow down by age, but that's not what Richard Florida's work shows anyway.
If you had read my earlier post more carefully, you'd realize that I never said things even out within New York. I simply said that once you adjust for age, the ratio of males to females evens out BETWEEN cities, meaning New York isn't that different than other cities. And as for Richard's Florida's work, the very fact that his study doesn't adjust for factors like age makes it pretty useless.

You're using these maps, but you're drawing the incorrect conclusion.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-30-2010, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Harrisburg, PA
2,337 posts, read 7,381,640 times
Reputation: 1563
Oh really? Maybe I should move out west!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-30-2010, 04:36 PM
 
12 posts, read 9,980 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Richard Florida's map doesn't take into account age. Jonathan Soma's does. Does it take into account other factors like who's gay? No. But the bottom line is that it's a more useful measure of male-to-female ratios than Florida's map. Soma's map is the one I was referring to in my previous post.
I don't care about specific maps, only the statistics they are based on and integrity of the data. I already explained the other factors at work here. I don NOT believe Soma's work because of his methodology and the fact that's he's not a professional statician; I believe Florida's is more rigorous work.

Also, you say the number of homosexuals don't matter when clearly they do. They can easily compose 30% of the male market here. So your 'bottom line' is an amalgam of information you've cherry-picked simply to attack me as being solely responsible for my troubles. Typical internet persona. It is clearly *not* a more useful measure of male to female ratios than Florida's. Who cares about Soma?

The gender disaparity exists and it' very real; it's often noted, just as there are sayings about Man Jose or SF. SATC was not coincidentally about women. The typically female industries are based HERE not Man Jose. How often do you run into models down in wherever in the MIDWEST you are from? NEVER right? Never. Everyone I know is friends with a few. You see at least a 9 or 10/models every 10 feet in Soho. Jesus. It's SO not even - let's say that hypothetically you are right, and the revisited map is correct- for arguments sake- well then my options are still mostly, lowest socioeconomic class non-white men while I must compete with models. Comeon now, either way it is NOT what you are used to. I am not arguing over this anymore, but you clearly need to get a grip on how things are and respect women's experiences and feelings. You should have seen the kind of attention I got in San Francisco, and Illinois, from men who would be dating/marrying models easy as pie here. There is nothing more extreme than this gender divide, and no environment more difficult for women than NYC.

Again, I say, you.

HAVE.

NO.

IDEA.

UNTIL.

YOU.

GO.

TO.

NEW YORK.

You just wait and see how easy it is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
If you had read my earlier post more carefully, you'd realize that I never said things even out within New York.
I have no reason to 'read your post carefully', clearly you assume all women should hang on your every word, as you mentioned this to me earlier.

Last edited by susanggggg; 06-30-2010 at 04:46 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Duh mountains
483 posts, read 504,746 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Did anyone else notice that women do all their carping on CD and the men only come on later? At first, I thought they were just too polite to interrupt but this explains that I was wrong about this explanation.

They are still at work.
A lot of these females are doing this on the job. Explains why they get nothing done. I bet we have quite a bit of gumment working females on here as well..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-30-2010, 04:39 PM
 
Location: syracuse ny
2,412 posts, read 4,788,795 times
Reputation: 2036
In my circles we call this a 'geographical cure'.

My friend Mike moved to Florida because he hated the cold. He loves being barefoot, or just wearing sandals. Mike quickly moved back. The mass of scars up to his ankles from a horrific attack by fireants will take a while to heal.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-30-2010, 04:52 PM
 
12 posts, read 9,980 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
In my circles we call this a 'geographical cure'.

My friend Mike moved to Florida because he hated the cold. He loves being barefoot, or just wearing sandals. Mike quickly moved back. The mass of scars up to his ankles from a horrific attack by fireants will take a while to heal.
1. Singular anecdotal evidence means nothing.

2. I'm not stupid so I won't get bitten by fireants. Much in the same way I have never been attacked, robbed, mugged, or frauded here in NYC in an entire lifetime.

Most people on the other hand, well....they may not be so smart despite their smugness.


EDIT: Also, fireants dont leave scars unless you've been tied down and left on an anthill or fall asleep on one. I spent my little girlhood in Okeechobee, Florida so I know. Your Mike must have gotten drunk and passed out, leaving me another reason to believe I have an edge over him- I'm not an alcoholic hippie.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-30-2010, 04:58 PM
 
Location: syracuse ny
2,412 posts, read 4,788,795 times
Reputation: 2036
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanggggg View Post
1. Singular anecdotal evidence means nothing.

2. I'm not stupid so I won't get bitten by fireants. Much in the same way I haven't been attacked, robbed, mugged, or frauded here in NYC during an entire lifetime.

Most people on the other hand, well....they may not be so smart despite their smugness.
However somebody who grew up in NYC constantly hearing about all those pitfalls avoids them. It's the TOURISTS that a lot of that happens to!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-30-2010, 05:02 PM
 
12 posts, read 9,980 times
Reputation: 13
Originally Posted by susanggggg
1. Singular anecdotal evidence means nothing.

2. I'm not stupid so I won't get bitten by fireants. Much in the same way I haven't been attacked, robbed, mugged, or frauded here in NYC during an entire lifetime.

Most people on the other hand, well....they may not be so smart despite their smugness.


Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
However somebody who grew up in NYC constantly hearing about all those pitfalls avoids them. It's the TOURISTS that a lot of that happens to!
It's not just tourists, it's also new transplants. Not sure what you mean...to be aware of the pitfalls which will exist elsewhere?


Also, I didn't mean to offend Mike. I mean, to be fair, alcoholic hippies do constitute a fair bit of my friends too and make for the funniest entertainment
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-30-2010, 05:12 PM
 
12 posts, read 9,980 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galagaone View Post
A lot of these females are doing this on the job. Explains why they get nothing done. I bet we have quite a bit of gumment working females on here as well..
Well they get them done here in NYC. In most all of the offices I work in, my bosses have been women. But you know, I suppose New York is such a slow place where nothing gets done right? Maybe where you are, there aren't enough women.

I won't ask what "gumment" is, although I would really love to know.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top