U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-19-2016, 06:16 PM
 
63,160 posts, read 53,957,254 times
Reputation: 18925

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Another reason why the South has more women than men, has to be attributed that most of the US armed forces his made up of Southerners. Plenty of Southern men go off to join the armed forces. This creates a bit of abundance in some women. Also some parts of the south that lack industry have high proportion of women due to men leaving for work. Much of the US is mainly single men. In cities like NYC and DC have plenty of single men. Its just that DC and NYC have an abundance of educated females compared to the former that women do not find desirable.
I can understand the lack of industry part. I suspect this plays a role in Mississippi, which is quite rural, and for a long time, experienced an exodus from the state. Few immigrants go there apart from the Vietnamese who settled around Biloxi.

The armed forces part, well, I would say that is partly true. I don't think this plays a role in large cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, and New Orleans. I would say this would more likely play a role in the smaller cities and small towns. And the large cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville have a surplus of single men between 20-34. That is around the same age as those in the military. There are also some military bases in the South.

There are more single women than single men over all in southern cities. However, when you break it down by age, this only holds true after the age of 40. This is my theory.

1) The South has the highest divorce rates in the USA.
2) Lower life expectancy among men in the South. There is likely a higher percentage of widows compared to other parts of the USA.
3) Women who didn't get married by 40 often stay single.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 09-19-2016, 07:07 PM
 
63,160 posts, read 53,957,254 times
Reputation: 18925
Quote:
Originally Posted by armsman View Post
Marriage for love is a fairly recent concept. Love itself isn't new.
I'm no expert on marriages for love. I just know why divorces started going up.

Quote:
It's a theory that's not really based in fact. It can increase the odds a bit, but it is by no means a guarantee. Based on what's going on in science now, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a moot point in a generation or two. We're already able to select gender. I'm sure height isn't far behind.
I'm somewhat living proof. I'm short, but my father is 5'11". I don't think about selecting gender in any of this. I'm just thinking about the way many women look at men. The idea of "if I get a tall man, I will get tall boys". Genetics can be passed down, but there are other things to consider as well.

Quote:
I've found that opinions on looks are pretty universal.

*Cue a female mentioning how she likes the look of one good-looking celebrity as opposed to another good-looking celebrity*
What looks do you consider universal?


Quote:
You don't sound weak. You sound (understandably) frustrated.
A little frustrated. Thankfully, I've never had a woman with kids try to approach me. But the fact that some women would be so arrogant is disturbing.


Quote:
Agreed. As you can see in prior responses on this thread, if people disagree with you and you are confident in your opinions, they start insulting you.

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain
And if they can't refute, they will insult. As it applies to things in my life, many people don't want to discuss certain things. It is either because the subject is too touchy, or because said persons are comfortable with the status quo.


Quote:
I recommend clubbing as a way to get your feet wet with approaching, not as a way to meet quality women.

I've been joining Meetup groups and just making friends all over. I'm going to sporting events. I'm a professional with a masters degree so I'm able to become an adjunct professor at the college in my local area. They have a position for me and I'm trying to figure out a way to fit it into my schedule.

Match.com as a last resort (though I have low hopes for this one).
I've been to the club a few times. I didn't like it. I tried talking to women there. It never worked for me. Too loud, not the kind of environment that I liked. I only went for two reasons

1) Someone's birthday
2) Club promoter got me in for free.

Right now I'm just wondering where singles 30 and older go.

I did meetup once. I might have to do it again. I did OKCupid to find a girlfried. I tried it several times. I got a friendship with someone from another country. However, no girlfriend. I don't want to deal with online dating again.

Quote:
Yeah, 30 is too late to adopt this anyway.

It has its place and it can be fun.
I don't even want to entertain the bad boy persona. Not for me.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 07:18 PM
 
63,160 posts, read 53,957,254 times
Reputation: 18925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I completely agree that a lot that are single ( both sexes ) are single by choice

As for the options..... LOL it's quite funny when blokes believe this because if she's not at all interested in any one that they meet for whatever reason then they are not actually an option, yet blokes that see various men approaching a lady still consider them options..... LOL.

So you're right... Only a suitable and right one is the only option they have
Many are single by choice. Some are single because they haven't found anyone worth dating. In some cases, people are single because no one is attracted to them.

I find it odd that many persons will chase after someone who is either taken or other people are seeking out. The person who is very available, well, not as much.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 07:19 PM
 
63,160 posts, read 53,957,254 times
Reputation: 18925
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Clearly you are correct based on the statistics you present. It is interesting, however, if you analyze the counts on Match.com you will see that within an age range of say 35-45 NYC has far more women and Phoenix has far more men.


This creates a horrific dating situation for men based on a couple of factors. 1) The majority of single men are after a small minority of women to begin with (Probably 90% of men chase the top 10% of women) 2) One man will hit on ten women in any given night, and each of those ten thinks she was the only one he pursued, while in reality the number of men appears to be grossly over exaggerated as each sends out 20 or 30 messages on match.com or hits on multiple women at the night club.


Dating in the US is extremely difficult for men, and Phoenix is the capital of "average women are spectacular". Overseas ->
You say that daing in the US is extremely difficult. I don't doubt that most cities are hard for men under 35. However, do you have any examples from other countries to compare the USA to?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 07:23 PM
 
Location: 🇬🇧 In jolly old London! 🇬🇧
15,671 posts, read 10,208,802 times
Reputation: 12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Many are single by choice. Some are single because they haven't found anyone worth dating. In some cases, people are single because no one is attracted to them.

I find it odd that many persons will chase after someone who is either taken or other people are seeking out. The person who is very available, well, not as much.
That's true the first paragraph

The second.... There's nothing wrong with chasing someone that has other people chasing after them mate infact it's normal I'd say
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 07:27 PM
 
63,160 posts, read 53,957,254 times
Reputation: 18925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
That's true the first paragraph

The second.... There's nothing wrong with chasing someone that has other people chasing after them mate infact it's normal I'd say
Well, I notice that the person who don't have people chasing him/her is less likely to be chased. The more persons chasing someone, the harder it would be for me.

In my case, I'm single because no women has found me attract. As I've gotten older, I get pickier, and I'm just busy alot during the week. Weekends, not so much, but I haven't seen any women that I would see as impressive or worth dating.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 07:38 PM
 
Location: 🇬🇧 In jolly old London! 🇬🇧
15,671 posts, read 10,208,802 times
Reputation: 12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I notice that the person who don't have people chasing him/her is less likely to be chased. The more persons chasing someone, the harder it would be for me.

In my case, I'm single because no women has found me attract. As I've gotten older, I get pickier, and I'm just busy alot during the week. Weekends, not so much, but I haven't seen any women that I would see as impressive or worth dating.
Well yes naturally the ones that have more people chasing after them will be the more attractive ones mate.

So you want them to chase you but you don't like that they are chasing others?

Women will always chase or at the least make their interest known but only if you are actually approachable..... If you show that you are not impressed or that they are not worthy then why would they chase you or show interest?

Hope I'm not coming across rude here and just asking
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 07:50 PM
 
91 posts, read 56,727 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Thankfully, at least in certain areas of the world, the days of women needing a man for economic and social survival are just about done. Women are, in great part, in a position where they don't need to settle down, or to get married for financial or social reasons.

So, yes, in a lot of cases, single women are single because they want to be. Just like single men are. However, while I am sure that some women enjoy their "options", there are still quite a lot that do want to settle down in one fashion or another. And when they do settle down, it's going to be with someone that they choose, for whatever reasons they deem suitable. You know, kind of like it's been with the guys since the dawn of time.
Unfortunately, men living today have not experienced this privilege. And women today have not experienced the oppression that they claim their foremothers once experienced.

The good news is that there are still many places in the world where men can still live like kings and be treated as such.

It's very nice to know that, in my late 20s, I could pursue dating in the US. If I happen to meet one of the few women that is less stuck-up and entitled that most, then I could settle down with her. If I don't meet this woman by age 40 or so, I could just move overseas. And, since biology is the great equalizer, I will still be able to have children in my 40s if I so desire. So I can and will....whenever the hell I want.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 09:10 PM
 
63,160 posts, read 53,957,254 times
Reputation: 18925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Well yes naturally the ones that have more people chasing after them will be the more attractive ones mate.

So you want them to chase you but you don't like that they are chasing others?

Women will always chase or at the least make their interest known but only if you are actually approachable..... If you show that you are not impressed or that they are not worthy then why would they chase you or show interest?

Hope I'm not coming across rude here and just asking
What I'm trying to get at is this: People will chase after what is the hardest to get. People tend to want what the know they can't have.

I don't try to come off as unapproachable. I just go out in public as I normally do. I don't give off the "keep away from me" vibe. I just mind my own business. I observe. If I see that a woman is not up to par in terms of what I deem necessary, I don't pursue. I don't go out and say "you're not worthy". I don't give women dirty looks or mean looks. I just do as everyone else does. If anything, I try to look nicer than the average person.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 09-19-2016, 09:27 PM
 
594 posts, read 346,524 times
Reputation: 270
Is this a MGTOW thread?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:31 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top