U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-30-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Location: syracuse ny
2,412 posts, read 4,803,326 times
Reputation: 2036

Advertisements

Pitfalls,

Let's start with YOU as a person from NYC moving anywhere...even just to CNY!

All NYC people are very easily identifiable elseware! 2 reasons...

A. NYC pride oooooozes from them....

It's like Saturday night fever clips where used in k-12th to teach people everything from posture, jestures, facial expression, attitude.

"I grew up on the mean streets!", "well in NY we do things this way!"
"no disrespect but I'm from NY...", they constantly talk about NY like it was heaven.

B. Your glaring Accent! And the worst is when they don't think they have one!

Reaaly? Yew think I got an accent?

Then there's the in NY we do things right...which just endears them to their new neighbors to no end.


And I'm in....Syracuse... telling you this!
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 AM
 
8,519 posts, read 14,679,403 times
Reputation: 7671
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanggggg View Post
I don't care about specific maps, only the statistics they are based on and integrity of the data. I already explained the other factors at work here. I don NOT believe Soma's work because of his methodology and the fact that's he's not a professional statician; I believe Florida's is more rigorous work.
The data is not the issue here. It's how that data is being interpreted. Florida didn't adjust for age whereas Soma did. Whether he's a professional statistician is irrelevant. He's not manipulating the data nor is he introducing data of his own. He's simply showing why Florida's data doesn't tell the whole picture. It sounds like you just don't want to accept Soma's findings because you've already made up your mind that other cities have more favorable male-to-female ratios than NYC and Soma's findings would disprove that. They have a word for people who deny data that proves them wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanggggg View Post
Also, you say the number of homosexuals don't matter when clearly they do. They can easily compose 30% of the male market here. So your 'bottom line' is an amalgam of information you've cherry-picked simply to attack me as being solely responsible for my troubles. Typical internet persona. It is clearly *not* a more useful measure of male to female ratios than Florida's. Who cares about Soma?
You're clinging to a study that's fundamentally flawed since it doesn't adjust for age while denying the one that does. That proves you're the one who's cherry-picking, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanggggg View Post
The gender disaparity exists and it' very real; it's often noted, just as there are sayings about Man Jose or SF. SATC was not coincidentally about women. The typically female industries are based HERE not Man Jose. How often do you run into models down in wherever in the MIDWEST you are from? NEVER right? Never. Everyone I know is friends with a few. You see at least a 9 or 10/models every 10 feet in Soho. Jesus.
Anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything. They did a survey of women asking what they thought the average male height was. You know what they said? 6 feet. Problem is that the average height is really 5'9". This is why relying on just what you see is unreliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanggggg View Post
I have no reason to 'read your post carefully', clearly you assume all women should hang on your every word, as you mentioned this to me earlier.
No, what I expect is that people know what they're talking about before they speak. You've demonstrated that you're either incapable or just unwilling to do that.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-06-2010, 02:24 AM
 
1,094 posts, read 2,035,557 times
Reputation: 279
For the most part, it's sooooo truuuue. There are exceptions. Merced, Manteca are mostly hot, hot and hot women with very few men who are mostly into drugs. Sacramento has more single women than guys, but it's deceiving because there are alot of 18-22 guys pulling the rug from under you. In Manteca 90% of single people are drop-dead gorgious girls who are 24-40 with no prospect of having a boyfriend. Another really cool area with tons of single women are Bethesda, Maryland and Roanoke, West Virginia. How about Boulder, Colo. Raleigh, NC and Kansas City, Kansas have more single women than guys. The same goes for Oklahoma City. Avoid Mangeles, Mandiego, Manjose and Manouston. LA and Houston in the early 80's used to be swarming with hot chicks, like a big Manteca, but that was in those days only. As I recalled, In Newport Beach, CA, there were so many hot women with almost no single men that it felt like they were your babysitter. Too extreme on the other end those days, where it wasn't pleasant. Only in moderation would do. New York has more single women than guys, too, but it's deceiving because the hot ones are usually taken, or they just don't like to going bars. Most of those hot ones are either successful with money or had just broken off a relationship with a rich Upper East and West guys, and they're not into you and hard to find. However, in the late 1970's, there were those hot women easily accessable at Studio 54. If you could get in like I did, it was really great, and can get a good date them, including models. The women in those days in NYC were friendly while the whole city was a pit, but that's another forum.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Renton, WA
605 posts, read 1,256,638 times
Reputation: 560
Exclamation Prostitution is not legal in Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Maybe that has something to do with prostitution being legal in Vegas.
Prostitution is not legal in Clark County, which is the county where Las Vegas is located. Prostitution is legal in most of the rural counties of Nevada, but not in Clark County or the state's other primarily urban county, Washoe County, where Reno is situated.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-17-2011, 06:10 AM
 
86 posts, read 128,914 times
Reputation: 149
Default I feel so let down...

Susan... oh Susan... I had you pegged as being the girl of my dreams as I read away at your posts, at the edge of my seat hinging upon your every word. Then I got to the part where you are not a drunk hippie chick and my dreams were dashed to dust.

Okay, I am just joking around (at least I think so because I really don't know and some Brit girls in Ibiza many years ago who fit this category were so wonderful and cool) but anyway, these statistics have too many variables to give too much heed to! Things in the way of people "hooking up" have a way of falling into place regardless of where you are. I would think the ratios of males to females is a factor only if you are such a poor prospect for anyone at all of the opposite sex that you need some serious help such as a huge difference in ratios of male to female to enhance your chances.

Unless you are what could be fitting into the category of "bottom of the barrel", I would not pay attention to these statistics.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-17-2011, 06:17 AM
 
5,448 posts, read 7,199,099 times
Reputation: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonnyj View Post
Does anyone notice the shortage in the number of available men in the eastern cities & the surplus of available men in the western cities?
I wonder what could be the cause for this?
Fascinating theory there...I'm not sure myself why, tho...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-25-2011, 11:00 AM
 
3,377 posts, read 3,822,447 times
Reputation: 5441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonnyj View Post
Does anyone notice the shortage in the number of available men in the eastern cities & the surplus of available men in the western cities?
I wonder what could be the cause for this?
I'm male and live on the west coast. Not single anymore. And while I have no hard evidence to support the surplus of men theory purported in this thread, I do know that most women out here will not consider a man who has baggage, or who has a meager income.

So, with that in mind, if you fit into either one of these categories, be ready to join the ranks of the surplus of men.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
 
Location: DC
97 posts, read 151,220 times
Reputation: 148
I am a 27 year old male and I live in DC. Yes there are more girls than guys here and everytime I am out a bar you can tell. It is nice because most other places I have been it is a sausage feast at any club or bar.

In DC, women are able to get dates pretty well if they are attractive. Most people in DC that are in their 20s tend to date, but stay relatively single until the 30s. So if you are looking to settle down early it may not be the place for you.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM
 
4,868 posts, read 7,926,453 times
Reputation: 3158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWSB13 View Post
I am a 27 year old male and I live in DC. Yes there are more girls than guys here and everytime I am out a bar you can tell. It is nice because most other places I have been it is a sausage feast at any club or bar.

In DC, women are able to get dates pretty well if they are attractive. Most people in DC that are in their 20s tend to date, but stay relatively single until the 30s. So if you are looking to settle down early it may not be the place for you.
A friend of mine just moved to DC for work. He's having a great time being single there!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-25-2011, 11:41 AM
 
Location: DC
97 posts, read 151,220 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
A friend of mine just moved to DC for work. He's having a great time being single there!
Yes it is great being a single guy with a good career in this city. If I remember correctly, you were a fan of my profile pic, so as you can imagine as long as I don't act like a douche I don't run into a lot of trouble.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top