U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 AM

8,519 posts, read 14,648,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWSB13 View Post
In DC, women are able to get dates pretty well if they are attractive. Most people in DC that are in their 20s tend to date, but stay relatively single until the 30s. So if you are looking to settle down early it may not be the place for you.
I think a big reason for this is because DC is a place people go to in order to launch their careers. They build up a good resume, establish a strong network, etc. and then move on to some other city where they can leverage that experience. Most of the people I knew who went to DC in their 20s eventually left. So that mindset probably explains why people aren't looking to settle down and get married. If you're there to establish your career and you know you won't be staying there for the long-term, then I imagine you won't be too concerned with marrying someone you meet there.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-25-2011, 11:49 AM

4,868 posts, read 7,909,089 times
Quote:
Yes it is great being a single guy with a good career in this city. If I remember correctly, you were a fan of my profile pic, so as you can imagine as long as I don't act like a douche I don't run into a lot of trouble.
its a good thing there is a lot of work in DC! my friend got lucky working with John McCain so they transferred him out there. He's not the best looking guy, but he's really cool and super nice so I know he won't have have trouble finding a cool chick!

Yes, I thought you were very handsome! haha I'm glad you don't act like a douche!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:52 AM

97 posts, read 150,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I think a big reason for this is because DC is a place people go to in order to launch their careers. They build up a good resume, establish a strong network, etc. and then move on to some other city where they can leverage that experience. Most of the people I knew who went to DC in their 20s eventually left. So that mindset probably explains why people aren't looking to settle down and get married. If you're there to establish your career and you know you won't be staying there for the long-term, then I imagine you won't be too concerned with marrying someone you meet there.

Yeah you are pretty much on the money with this. I even have a few buddies who work for the State Dept. They only hold month-to-month leases on their apartments, because they could get ship off somewhere else in the world at the drop of a hat. Most guys in my MBA program are in their late 20s and all single. We go out to date for fun, but who knows what opportunity might emerge in a year or 2. Only one guy in the program is married that I know of and the age range is late 20s to early to mid 30s.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 PM

951 posts, read 1,710,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonnyj View Post
Does anyone notice the shortage in the number of available men in the eastern cities & the surplus of available men in the western cities?
I wonder what could be the cause for this?
Perhaps, the women in the east have driven the men out?

There may be a lot of available women in the east but what percentage are of much interest to the available men? From what I've heard, the percentage is rather low.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:28 PM

97 posts, read 150,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post

There may be a lot of available women in the east but what percentage are of much interest to the available men? From what I've heard, the percentage is rather low.

There are plenty of attractive women here, just like the are also plenty of unattractive women here. Trust me from what I have seen on the west and east coast I would rather be on the east. The west is full of fake blondes and fake boobs looking for the guy with the largest bank account and nicest car. Plus their is nothing sexier than a highly intelligent, career driven woman.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 PM

8,519 posts, read 14,648,994 times
Quote:
Yeah you are pretty much on the money with this. I even have a few buddies who work for the State Dept. They only hold month-to-month leases on their apartments, because they could get ship off somewhere else in the world at the drop of a hat. Most guys in my MBA program are in their late 20s and all single. We go out to date for fun, but who knows what opportunity might emerge in a year or 2. Only one guy in the program is married that I know of and the age range is late 20s to early to mid 30s.
I was considering moving to DC, but decided against it, partly because of this. It really does feel like a city where you start your career. But I already started mine a decade ago. If I were fresh out of college and still in my 20s, I would've tried it. But now I value things like stability and afford-ability. DC may have lots of jobs, but it's still too expensive.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,177,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I was considering moving to DC, but decided against it, partly because of this. It really does feel like a city where you start your career. But I already started mine a decade ago. If I were fresh out of college and still in my 20s, I would've tried it. But now I value things like stability and afford-ability. DC may have lots of jobs, but it's still too expensive.
Agreed; you're absolutely right there, in terms of regional affordability Sometimes, it almost feels as though I'm living in NYC, price-wise.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:12 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,697,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post

Basically, especially for DC, the city that everyone claims that is "so great!" It might be a city where someone can being their career, but in the dating scene, unless you're at the top of your career, at a significant point, or have a wealthy background beforehand, you're prospects for women, even those on the same level, are out of reach.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 PM

28,900 posts, read 50,300,949 times
Well, here's a solution. All the unattached single women get in their cars and start driving west. All the unattached men get in their cars and start driving east.

They all meet up in Kansas and Nebraska and have one bitchin' party. How's THAT for an idea?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:42 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,737,156 times
Quote:
There are plenty of attractive women here, just like the are also plenty of unattractive women here. Trust me from what I have seen on the west and east coast I would rather be on the east. The west is full of fake blondes and fake boobs looking for the guy with the largest bank account and nicest car. Plus their is nothing sexier than a highly intelligent, career driven woman.
I just wanted to say, I agree with you 100% on this. So true on many levels it not even funny anymore. Definitely going to move east first chance I get. Hate, hate, HATE the fake women/golddigger mentality, I've witnessed it way too much. The new thing here is fake black hair fake tan. The older women are trying to pull the goth look too.

A quick story, when I was 23 me and some friends met in Ohio to go to a convention center for the weekend. Columbus, Ohio to be exact. Compared to Kingman, Arizona it was a major culture shock. In one afternoon I noticed the following:

-I walked into a resturaunt and a bar/grill... and NO ONE STARED AT ME! I'm considered "Mulatto" by genetic standards, while most people in Arizona think: "Durp-durp yur Mexican/Black!" I dress normal, nothing standing out and BAM no one even cared who I was... it was incredible!

-Women there seemed much friendlier. I walked and accidentally bumped into one. She and her friends were very forgiving, and a little flirty! I picked up her things and handed it back to her. Here in Arizona I'd get called names and laughed at.

-Guys were laid back, like geek stuff wasn't so greek there. Never thought I'd hear a table of jocks talk about which super heroine they wanted to bang. I could not keep my jaw off the floor. One guy mentioned doing She-Hulk and I nearly lost it.

Can't recall the area I was in but I took a small tour of the city and I didn't want to go back home.

Any way, carry on.

Last edited by Cyber Surfer; 01-25-2011 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.