Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It's both at the same time.

I mean, why on earth would you ever marry somebody that you didn't have fun with?

Good grief, I should start charging for this wisdom.
Some people date with no intention of marrying or anything long term (just for "fun"), and some people find the initial dating process tedious until they get comfortable with the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Is it to find a compatible spouse, or is it simply for fun?

What do you think?

Personally I think it is to find a life-partner that you will marry.

For some it's to get married, for some it's to have a companion to do things with, and for others it's just to get laid. It just depends on the person.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,412,990 times
I think that it's more to do with learning about yourself over anything else.. There's always a "need" to be with someone, to be accepted and all that jazz.. but, I just think that it's part of the learning process.

I think that when we stop learning, we stop growing.. this is just one of those parts of life that we have no control over. At least, we can pretend we control it anyway..

Old 08-11-2009, 03:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Is it to find a compatible spouse, or is it simply for fun?

What do you think?

Personally I think it is to find a life-partner that you will marry.
for me the purpose would be to get to know "people," or "a" person, or "the" person...

however, most people I know consider "dating" and/or "relationships" to be the sole purpose/goal in itself

Old 08-21-2009, 10:53 PM

429 posts, read 684,655 times
I dated after my first divorce just to be around another adult and to get out of the house.I really did not care if I ever married again...however I believe different people have different relationship goals ...look at OPRAH and Stedman.What is their purpose???

Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshfield mom View Post
I dated after my first divorce just to be around another adult and to get out of the house.I really did not care if I ever married again...however I believe different people have different relationship goals ...look at OPRAH and Stedman.What is their purpose???
Oprah and Stedman - LOL!

I think dating serves different purposes for different people. Some people want companionship, some want to have fun, some want physical contact, some are looking for their soulmates, etc.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:41 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
It can go both ways...

When you are younger,(or really at any age) dating helps you discover who you are..and discover the kind of things which you would desire out of a relationship..or the person you are dating..Characteristics and such..Dating can be great..if you don't obsess over the insignificant details..

Dating also helps you eliminate everything which you would not want out of a relationship,or eventual spouse..That is if you aren't consciously ignorant of those red flags some of the undesirable people you will come across in your dating life...WILL present..loud and clear

Later on, you come to a point where you have gained enough self knowledge/confidence..as well as mastering all those "desired" traits which you are looking for in someone..and start attracting(unless you still aren't listening to the flashing red lights) the kind of people who may "fit" exactly what you are seeking..And with time will come that one person who stands out amongst all the rest..And then it is on to the next chapter in the relationship journey.... Just my opinion
Ditto, couldn't have said it better myself. To me, dating and friendship coincide. You learn a lot about yourself and someone else through getting to know them; meaningful conversations, etc. As time goes on, you find out what you do and don't want in a relationship.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:30 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Default What is the real purpose of dating and romantic relationships (before marriage)?

I potential safe long term sexual partner..

Old 08-22-2009, 01:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
for women its finding some good divorce material.
for men its the sales presentation esp free samples, that he really likes--- b4 the purchase of the product he does not want.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:41 PM

105 posts, read 250,170 times
Both - it depends on where you are in your life. I think women are usually looking for marriage material... men are usually looking for some action!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships