Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times

Advertisements

"LET’S say you have what you believe to be a healthy marriage. You’re still friends and lovers after spending more than half of your lives together. The dreams you set out to achieve in your 20s — gazing into each other’s eyes in candlelit city bistros when you were single and skinny — have for the most part come true.

Moderator cut: Please post a snippet of the article and link to it, not full text.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/fa...T5ruxguUIQmJeg

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-10-2009 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
This was a fascinating piece. I don't think many people (myself included!) have the maturity needed to do what this woman did. I know she stresses how difficult it was to give her husband space, but she kept that up for months! Kudos to her.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:33 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
many ideal marriages are really huge pretty carpets with a mountain of dirt underneath on which we stand and smile for a long time. the partner that was getting the better end of the deal is devastated when the doormat stands up and walks out.
in most cases its a pure question of boundaries & self care, it got trampled to death with "we" statements.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-10-2009 at 08:53 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Exactly.

When you see one spouse going beyond the call of duty to make the other happy and is beyond exhaustion they are ready to go.

Oh yeah, you will see the other spouse saying how happy they are. They sit with their drink filled sitting in their favorite chair, watching their favorite program. Meanwhile the other spouse is switching laundry, cleaning and filling drinks. Yeah, that gets really old.

How about both doing the cleaning and such together then watching a program together and then doing "Rock, paper, sissors" as to who will get up to switch the clothes and then laugh when one loses. Afterward the loser coming in and jokingly dumping the laundry basket on their head saying you get to fold.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:56 AM

76 posts, read 190,464 times
What an uplifting story. Thanks for that.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Great story. What a strong woman. Can't say I'd put myself through it, but it does make sense. It wasn't about her. But she loved him through it and that says a lot.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 AM

105 posts, read 221,817 times
Now THAT is how marriages should work....thanks for the read! One strong lady there

Old 08-10-2009, 04:03 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Bumpity bump. Great advise for all whose SO drops the D word.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:30 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
I'm willing to put money on the line that he'll be gone within one year...

Old 08-10-2009, 08:57 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
I don't find that story inspiring in the least. So he fixes the porch. But he still doesn't love her. And have you noticed, "the midlife crisis" is an entirely male phenomenon -- not because women don't feel like acting up at the tail end of their youth, mind you, but because only men are permitted to behave like a-holes while wives are expected not to let a little thing like their dignity get in the way of putting up with it. It's disheartening to see a woman who has been led to believe that she and her children are the proverbial ball-and-chain. This leads me to believe that this problem didn't just arise out of thin air one day -- rather, she was conditioned to think throughout the duration of the marriage that her and the children's existence was invading her husband's "space". This explains why she concluded it was okay for her husband to treat her and their children like trash simply because he felt like it -- and that they had to submit to it because his feeling that he needed to be a jerk was a perfect justification for being a jerk. I doubt he would be equally patient had she told him that she didn't love him and started spending her evenings elsewhere -- and I doubt the posters here at CD would be as quick to praise him if he chose to put up with it.

The story is instructive, however, when it comes to all those complaints about how us evil women do most of the filing for divorce. I've responded to those threads, and this particular story is a case in point. Here is a man who deliberately humiliated and hurt his wife and children, abandoned them, and psychologically tortured them. He informed his wife that he wanted out of the marriage. Yet he apparently expected her to file for divorce -- presumably so we could then say the divorce was her fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships