Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:24 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,335 times

Advertisements

The problem is success is automatically tied to material things (I.E. money, clothes, house, car etc) and not necessarily tied to the other things that should matter (family, friends, spirituality, etc). Our society pre-occupies itself with the former and the latter is almost an afterthought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:25 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Each person sets their own personal goals for success and strongly related to that...happiness.

People will judge other peoples success by thier own standards to some extent, recognizing also that people have their own goals. (Depending on how open minded they are.)

I know a guy I went to highschool with that makes little money as a mechanic. He has a tidy little house in a small town and has been married to his highschool sweetheart for probably close to 20 years now and she is frankly a "10" inside and out and they have a nice kid. I don't know many people more successful than him (or her).
That's us, minus the 20 years (7 only), and plus one more kid.

Thanks for putting it down so succinctly.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:37 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,815 times
reaching your personal goals whatever they might want to be. could include things like finding a spouse you love, losing weight, buying a house, getting the promotion you wanted, etc.

i dont measure my success by others. my goal right now is to be clean and organized (i am a disorganized slob), and so far i have been unsuccessful lol.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
they have a nice job
Lots of discussion of those things. What defines a "NICE" job? One you're happy with or one you hate but you have career opportunity, high wages and status?

My dream job is NOT to work; live on the tropical beach in a hammock, and have playboy bunnies feed me grapes between orgies...

I make "good" money, I'm good with money, drive a nice car and have an attractive wife. The question: Am I successful?

Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Success can be summed up in one word, "yes." When one gets introspective and asks oneself the questions that define their own definition what embodies success, and can answer in the affirmative to the "Am I?;" "Did I?;" "Do I?;" and "Have I?" questions that enter the mind, then they are truly successful, regardless of any outward measure of the term.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-10-2009, 07:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
feeling good in one's own skin

Old 08-10-2009, 10:29 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,740 times
Success: Knowing oneself completely.

Thing is, if you know who you really are, without reservation, then you can and will achieve whatever your goals are. Besides, how can you define achievable goals without really knowing the person who set them?

Self delusions are the norm in todays society. I mean, when is the last time that you just turned off all the noise and set in silence for more than an hour? With so much going on, I don't think that most people really take the time to sit back and take in everything, much less to even begin to understand themselves objectively. What are your core values? What drives you to do what you do? Why do you love? I believe that once you figure these things out, and take time to understand them, the definition of success changes..

Then again, I am the pyschofreak here. I never take myself seriously..

Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,036,028 times
Overcoming obstacles..and challenges along the road..

Overcoming doubts, fears, and building from simple foundations..

Not fearing what others might say, or do to attempt to derail your ambitions and determined spirit..

Keeping strong and plugging on..

Achieving without steamrolling or using..lying or stealing

Calling upon your greatest strengths, talents, or gifts to help you achieve..

And sharing the fruits and rewards of your achievements with the world around you, and those within your world..as they come..for you are blessed to have been rewarded...

And at the end of each day, smiling back at the smile shining down upon you from above.. knowing that they are proud..

This is success..

Old 08-11-2009, 05:59 AM

76 posts, read 190,464 times
Creat short term (A few months to a few years) and long term (5+ years) goals. Do as much possible to obtain these goals but understand that if you "fail" that does not mean you are not successful.

These goals fuel our spirit and only an individual can gauge if they truly made an honest attempt to achieve them. If you understand why you've arrived at your current junction in life and can wholeheartedly admit that you've done everything possible to arrive here then it's safe to say you are successful.

1) Understand why you are the person you are
2) Create short/long term goals no matter how farfetched they may be
3) Do everything possible to achieve them
4) If you fail to achieve a goal make sure you understand why and take the experience as personal growth
5) Do the right thing
6) Love yourself (this one is the hardest) and love will find you.

I personally am not successful... Yet. For the most part I accept myself and know where I need to develope to become a better person. I've got a great job but it's not something I see myself doing forever. I'm sinlge and really don't want to be. Finding "her" is #1 on the list and raising a happy family is a close 2nd.

Beyond that I wake up with a smile 6 out of 7 days a week and have an amazing supporting cast that I love very much.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:30 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
See, now as much as I'd like to define success strictly in touch-feely terms, I think there has to be a fundamental material level reached to be successful.

Otherwise, if feeling good about yourself and reaching your personal goals is all that you need to define success, then I would disagree. After all, you might feel pretty good about yourself living in your parent's basement at age 38, smoking weed and playing video games (I've known people like that). Or, you might feel pretty good about yourself even though you live in squalor and your children are neglected (Again, I've known a couple like that).

The entire reason for welfare reform 13 years ago was because huge numbers of Americans had figured out how to play the government for decades on end, getting a monthly check while making most of their cash under the table. You and I wouldn't be content living that way, but large numbers of people were perfectly fine with it, so long as they didn't have to roll out of bed at 7 a.m. and work a full-time job.

In short, success in able-bodied adulthood has to, at the very least, be defined as not being an undue burden to others. No, you don't have to own a Hummer (Who would, anyway?) or live in a mansion. But making your own way in life should be the minimal requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships