Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 AM

512 posts, read 1,635,487 times

Advertisements

You know I've been a member of CD for sometime now, and I peek in on the relationship thread from time to time. What I've noticed is that there seems to be a certain aspect of shallowness from both men and woman.

Men say it's hard to find a good woman and woman say it's harder to find a good man. With all of this in mind do you think we as people have become so picky that we make finding that good guy/girl difficult? Sometimes I find that people are so concerned with looks, height, and weight that we miss out on that "good thing". These other individuals might not be as attractive or have a hot body, but offer us support, personality and is companionable.

What I think it should come down to is Respect, admiration, being able to compromise. Most importantly someone who excepts you for you and nothing else.

Sorry everyone I was just thinking about it and wanted to know how you all felt about this. Sound off......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
It's not hard to find a good man, nor is it hard to find a good woman.

First and foremost, you have to know where to look. Unfortunately, too many people look first in a bar - and that is definitely not the right place.

Second, people need to realize that reality is different than what you see on TV.

Third, shallow people attract shallow people. Deeper individuals attract deeper individuals.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
I guess people's standards can be too high. But this doesn't mean standards are wrong. I cannot honestly imagine anybody without any dating standards.

Think about it; how many people out there would date literally anybody? Not many, i'd reckon. there always is a breaker of values, outlook, attitudes, looks, personality, etc.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Unless C-D installs a filter on the depth of the posts, anyone can come and start as shallow a thread as he/she wants. Doesn't mean people here don't recognize shallowness for what it is. Can you see chairs moving closer and popcorn popping when it happens?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

Third, shallow people attract shallow people. Deeper individuals attract deeper individuals.
This is why the people that go ONLY by a picture on personals, may meet several "nice" people, but rarely do they meet someone that stimulates their mind as well as their heart.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 AM

252 posts, read 660,708 times
I feel the same. Thats how it is off the internet also though. It seems that very few people seem to realize that looks only last until we're 40 (50 for the lucky) and even then, some of them just ditch their SO when they hit that age because "they aren't attractive anymore" and aim for getting a new model.

If people had any sense, they'd pick someone they like (as in, personality) because when you're both old and falling apart, having each others' company is going to matter far more than a chiseled jaw or cup size.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,497 times
Quote:

First and foremost, you have to know where to look. Unfortunately, too many people look first in a bar - and that is definitely not the right place.

Second, people need to realize that reality is different than what you see on TV.

I agree. And I think someone else mentioned how people look for a potential partner online and how it creates problems because you are only going by a picture and short profile - I totally agree with that.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:

Right on.

Compromise is good, but on our individual terms. Shallow to some is what is right for another. Nothing personal, but none of you are going to be there to pick up the pieces when I settle for everyone else's version of the ideal man and end up with the short end.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
...I peek in on the relationship thread from time to time. What I've noticed is that there seems to be a certain aspect of shallowness from both men and woman...

Most people who post on relationship forums are wackos, weirdos, or losers.

Or, they are delusional and try to convince others that they have the answer.

Or they are voyeurs who enjoy watching the antics of delusional, wackos, weirdos, and losers.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,719,775 times
I also think people have standards that are too high, and to me it seems that they just keep getting higher and higher and a little unrealistic.

While I have always had my preferences, when it came to actually dating I always tried to chuck them to the back of my mind, because realistically, the chances of meeting a guy who fits all my preferences is slim. And physically, most guys don't fit the description of my "dream guy".

In many cases though, I have seem people become very shallow when it comes to meeting other people and it drives me nuts.

Though luckily, I've somehow managed to snag a guy who is very very close to "dream guy" and I don't think I'd want to give him up if "dream guy" walked in the door this second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships