Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:50 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,016,605 times

Advertisements

I'm very young (but very legal since I know someone is going to propose that question) and I've noticed this reoccurring pattern in which I find myself attracted to older men. When I push aside the weirdness of it all, I realized that all of these older men posses the personality and attributes that I want in a guy period - regardless of age. They just happen to be older. While I might find a guy closer to my age extremely hot, after I spent a little time around him, his looks don't compensate for the rest. It's not that I'm not interested in guys in my generation, it's just that they leave much to be desired.

Anyways, my question is... I've never hinted that I might be interested in any of these guys because I feel like they might scoff at my age or find it odd. Then again, another thought is that even if they were interested, they would automatically assume due to my age that I'd respond negatively to any flirtation so they don't do it.

On a side note, I have to say that all of these older men that I've met and become attracted to all had a healthy head of hair haha! If there is sporadic balding, any attraction whatsoever is officially killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 12:07 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,969,509 times
how much older are we talking about? i appreciate an older man somewhat.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:18 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,789,357 times
What if you found an older man who is everything you want, and good looking?

Old 08-15-2009, 01:22 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,967,846 times
No there's nothing weird about it. I was always attracted to older men. In fact, older people - I never worked and played well in my own age group.
To this day, I still tend toward older men - but because I'm not young - I'm catching up! & the age gap has greatly narrowed.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:57 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,602,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I'm very young (but very legal since I know someone is going to propose that question) and I've noticed this reoccurring pattern in which I find myself attracted to older men. When I push aside the weirdness of it all, I realized that all of these older men posses the personality and attributes that I want in a guy period - regardless of age. They just happen to be older. While I might find a guy closer to my age extremely hot, after I spent a little time around him, his looks don't compensate for the rest. It's not that I'm not interested in guys in my generation, it's just that they leave much to be desired.

Anyways, my question is... I've never hinted that I might be interested in any of these guys because I feel like they might scoff at my age or find it odd. Then again, another thought is that even if they were interested, they would automatically assume due to my age that I'd respond negatively to any flirtation so they don't do it.

On a side note, I have to say that all of these older men that I've met and become attracted to all had a healthy head of hair haha! If there is sporadic balding, any attraction whatsoever is officially killed.
Everything's okay as long as the guy's not as old as Dad or Grandpa.

I don't actually have a Youngue fever afflication, but the amount of hair on my head has had people (particularly women) mistake me for the early to mid 20s, when I'm actually gonnabe 30 next year (Eeeeeeeeeew!)

There is this girl at the gym. She's 21. After a few days of friendly talking she asked if I'm seeing someone. Without giving her further details, I flatly told her I'm so old I can be her Dad. It was a metaphor but in my eyes, she's a kid and she won't have asked me that if she were 27 or 28.

So, watch out, don't fall an easy prey to older buggers. They can be manipulative tosspots. When you are older enough, you can decide.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:40 AM

15,083 posts, read 20,391,397 times
Not weird.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:06 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,359,918 times
I have dated guys older than me and I know what you mean when you say guys of the same age are so boring after the make-out session is over. Its like I can hang out with them and have fun, but long term just doesn't cut it. I think its because I grew up watching T.V characters that were cute and older, like Bon Jovi and other old guys that were cute back then, so I became a fan of the now 40 year old geezers.

There are plenty of cute guys my age around too. But the cute ones already have girlfriends or are dating multiple women still. So that contributes too. While I am usually looking for a relationship where I am his only girlfriend. Plenty of older men who are tired of dating multiple women so we are on the same page on that.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,445,188 times
Most of we old guys don't think that's weird at all! In fact, a good many of us would welcome your advances.

Seriously, though, it's neither strange nor a bad idea...so long as you go into a relationship with someone old enough to be your father or grandfather with your eyes wide open. I know several very happy couples where the difference in age is 20 years or more and some of them have been that way for a long time.

But, there ARE age issues which you'll have to deal with:

1. He may already be married and just looking for his mid-life crisis. Don't fall for that jerk. Flee from him, as fast as your nubile legs will carry you.

2. If you stay with him long enough, he will grow old much faster than you and you could end up being the one to change his diaper at the end of his life, which will statistically come much, much earlier than yours. While he may look distinguished right now, the age on his face (and top of his head!) will show much faster than it does on yours. For instance, faces and bodies age faster between 60 and 70 than they do between 30 and 40. It's the same ten years, though.

3. As his health inevitably declines, you'll become his primary care-giver while you, yourself, are still healthy. Most of what he'll go through, you won't understand fully, no matter how you try.

4. Some sort of Erectile Disfunction is almost inevitable. Are you willing to deal with that and remain faithful while you're still young and randy?

5. Children. You may want them, he probably will not as he's already raised his own passle of rugrats. Even if he does, he'll not have the strength, energy or patience he had in his twenties and it's possible he may not live long enough to see them graduate from high school. Consider the effect that must have on y'alls kids.

6. Widowhood. You're likely to outlive him by several decades and, when he's gone, you'll be well past your prime and entering at least mid-life yourself. The market for older, single women, especially with kids, is almost non-existant. By beginning a long-term relationship with an older man, you might very well be consigning yourself to a life alone for your own last years.

7. He'll probably retire 20 years before you do. While you'll still be out there, grinding away at the work place and interfacing with other people, he'll be sitting around the house in his underwear, drinking too much and cut off from social contacts. But, he may have a generous retirement which allows you to quit when he does and those will be good years, cut short only when he's physically unable to do the things you can still do. However, if his retirement plan doesn't transfer to you when he dies, you could find yourself back in the job market in middle age and with no recent work experience. Good luck with that!

That's just a start on the issues you'd face. If you're good to go with all that, drive on!

If not....well, I guess you could just pick one you like and use him for a boy toy, but where will that leave you in 20 years?

Old 08-15-2009, 06:44 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,434,915 times
not weird at all. i am with you. older men have every quality i would look for in a partner. they have it together, unlike younger gys who are still learning.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,602,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I have dated guys older than me and I know what you mean when you say guys of the same age are so boring after the make-out session is over. Its like I can hang out with them and have fun, but long term just doesn't cut it. I think its because I grew up watching T.V characters that were cute and older, like Bon Jovi and other old guys that were cute back then, so I became a fan of the now 40 year old geezers.

There are plenty of cute guys my age around too. But the cute ones already have girlfriends or are dating multiple women still. So that contributes too. While I am usually looking for a relationship where I am his only girlfriend. Plenty of older men who are tired of dating multiple women so we are on the same page on that.
<that's holding his antlers and sobbing, one notch above holding hair while weeping>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships