Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:51 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,740 times

Advertisements

The worst thing to say when breaking up with someone:

"Sorry, I love you, but I can't do this anymore. Trust me, it's me, not you. See, I've been sleeping with your father..."

Best thing to say when breaking up with someone:

"Sorry, I love you, but I can't do this anymore. Trust me, it's me, not you. See, I've been sleeping with your father..."

Either way, I'm sure they'll leave pretty quickly, and, you'll never hear from them again... Right?

Seriously, best way that I think to end things is actually pretty simple. Be quick and to the point, explain briefly and honestly why you've made the decision you have, and then let things be. Obviously, do this in person, preferably some place that's comfortable. I think that if it's not done like that then all it does is leave loose threads and causes more pain over the long term. I'd rather someone be brutally honest with me and leave me no question as to what happened than to beat around the bush with silly games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 06:58 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,493 times
at least make the break
dont just dissapear

Old 08-18-2009, 07:04 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Heres one that might work. "Im pregnant". Based on seeing this happen with a few people I know, Ive seen guys (try to) disappear faster than you can say it.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:23 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Don't say the old, "it's not you, its me" that's SO lame. LOL Just be honest, if you want to go screw around with other people then say that LOL If you hate the way they are in life, then say it. People need to know a legitimate reason as to why they are being dumped.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:38 AM

323 posts, read 806,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You always see all these articles on "how to catch" but never on "how to release"

Notice that?

Anyway...what do you guys think?Shall we build a land of these rules in the CD relationship forum so EVERYONE know what to do when it hits the fan!
Steer clear of all the cheesy bull**** lines: 'it's not you, it's me' (b/c no, it really is you...well, me not wanting to be with you anyway), etc. I'd say that just being open and saying 'I'm sorry, it's been fun, but we are just not meant to be and I can't continue this anymore' or something along those lines is probably the best thing to do (although I've done my fair share of the bs lines myself lol)

Old 08-18-2009, 07:58 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Be short and to the point. Be compassionate but do NOT lend false hope. The times I broke up with somebody, I learned to not string it out. So here you go:

1) Make sure you have everything ready to go at a moment's notice. The last thing you want to do is break up with someone, and then have her destroy all your stuff that's over at her apartment.
2) If you're living together, make some financial gesture to pay for your half of the rent. She'll be devastated enough over the breakup. Being put in some financial bind makes it even worse.
3) Make the clean break. There is nothing worse than someone breaking up with you and then not leaving you alone. It's like pouring salt in the wound.
4) Don't say hopeful things just to cushion the blow, such as "Well, I'll always love you." She'll then nurse hope that the right gesture, the right combination of words will bring you back.
5) Don't return her phone calls or e-mails except with a terse message stating that, for her own good, you don't think it best to talk.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:05 AM

304 posts, read 1,326,449 times
Whatever you say, just be direct...since it's gonna hurt no matter what. I once was broken up via email. The worst part is I called him (before I opened the email) since we had made plans earlier in the week about me coming over to his place, and when I did he was so cowardly......he said..."i guess you haven't read my email". So pathetic. I told him he needed to grow some balls.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:14 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
"I really do love you. Thats why I hope so badly those weeping sores never show up!"

Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Best way to break up? Move out, change jobs, don't hang out at the same places. They'll get the message.

The worst way?

In the Wesbrook case, Wesbrook's ex-wife, Gloria Jean Coons, 32, was shot and killed at the complex where she lived. Also killed were Antonio Cruz, 35; Anthony Ray Rogers, 41; Diana Ruth Money, 43; and Kelly Hazlip, 28.
In the appeal rejected by the court, Wesbrook contended he is mentally retarded and under U.S. Supreme Court rulings should be ineligible for execution. The appeals court disagreed and upheld findings of a district court which ruled he was not mentally retarded. It was his second appeal to the Austin-based court.
At his Houston trial, defense attorneys tried to persuade jurors the partygoers at Coons' unit provoked Wesbrook into the killings by [when his wife was] having sex with two of the male victims at the party. Wesbrook said he tried to leave but Cruz took his keys, so he went to his truck, got his rifle and started shooting.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:12 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennysgurrl View Post
The absolute worst line is "it's not you, it's me". Way too overused.
yes, right up there with "I love you but I'm not IN love with you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships