Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: FWB VS. Relationships
To me relationships are Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver. I just want to have fun. 2 6.06%
You are right Artsy. Relationships are about fun and games. 2 6.06%
I like FWB because it takes no efforts and is superficial. Hit it and Quit it. 3 9.09%
No opinion. 1 3.03%
Other opinion 3 9.09%
People have the wrong idea about both FWB and Relationships. It varies with each individual. 22 66.67%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:03 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

How can you have time to have FWB but not relationships? Relationships are about fun and games (parties, foreplay, sex, dates, and friendship) all rolled into one. It isn't supposed to be Mr. and Mrs. Beaver Cleaver sitting around washing dishes and reading the newspaper. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. Nobody gets that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 12:56 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
In a FWB relationship there is nothing expected of you if you lay the rules out beforehand. Any other kind of relationship, there is.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How can you have time to have FWB but not relationships? Relationships are about fun and games (parties, foreplay, sex, dates, and friendship) all rolled into one. It isn't supposed to be Mr. and Mrs. Beaver Cleaver sitting around washing dishes and reading the newspaper. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. Nobody gets that.
Relationships take work. Some people don't want to put in the work but want the perks.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:20 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
In a FWB relationship there is nothing expected of you if you lay the rules out beforehand. Any other kind of relationship, there is.
I don't really agree with that. I think folks focus on the "with benefits" part and forget the first, equally important word -- FRIENDS. There ARE expectations with real friendships -- you're friends because you enjoy each other's company, have similar interests, and you care about the other person. To me, FWB means you have all of the qualities of a good friendship but the relationship is sexual, too.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:23 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,549 times
For those with limited time or emotional issues FWB might be as good as it gets. Sometimes you click sexually but not as a steady relationship. Years ago I went out with a guy for three years as my FWB. We were both seeing other people. I was not exclusive so I wasn't cheatin'. He asked me out like a girlfriend and lo and behold I find he has ISSUES! Better off as FWB!

Old 08-16-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I don't really agree with that. I think folks focus on the "with benefits" part and forget the first, equally important word -- FRIENDS. There ARE expectations with real friendships -- you're friends because you enjoy each other's company, have similar interests, and you care about the other person. To me, FWB means you have all of the qualities of a good friendship but the relationship is sexual, too.
SO TRUE! Some people think it just means sex but it really means we are friends, we are sexual, and we are free to pursue other people.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:41 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
SO TRUE! Some people think it just means sex but it really means we are friends, we are sexual, and we are free to pursue other people.
Yep! Like Jerry and Elaine on Seinfeld.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:48 PM

^^^^YES! I had an unrequieted friend like that. The time was never quite right, though.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:52 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Some people may have the time, but they aren't ready to be exclusive to one person. They want sex, but aren't crushing on their partner. Without the crush feelings of being in love and a desire to be exclusive (as in one both wants to keep shopping around for a better person to have as a s/o), there is no need to have a relationship.

So if someone is telling you that they are willing to do an FWB with you, and they say that they don't have time for a relationship... they are probably politely telling you that they are willing to have sex with you, but they just aren't romantically in love with you.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:38 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Well, I think the "with benefits" part is the emphasized part of the relationship - otherwise you'd just be friends, right? I think the above is the reason that most fwb relationships fail - people blur the lines and get all attached and emotional about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships