Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Yeah, right, if only it were that easy. And I've heard countless stories of abused women running away and hiding only to be found and murdered by their abusive husband. They tried not to take it. Didn't work for them.
WOW!

Another negative poster.

Well, isn't the world full of people with only negative remarks.

Yes....you are right. Some women, God rest their souls, never made it away from their abusers. I'm sorry for them.

All I was saying is don't take anything remotely close to that of an abusive person.

Like in school. Bullies pick on the ones they get no response from or they get the fear response that is easy to prey on. You stand up to them once that you won't take that they will back down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:31 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
WOW!

Another negative poster.

Well, isn't the world full of people with only negative remarks.

Yes....you are right. Some women, God rest their souls, never made it away from their abusers. I'm sorry for them.

All I was saying is don't take anything remotely close to that of an abusive person.

Like in school. Bullies pick on the ones they get no response from or they get the fear response that is easy to prey on. You stand up to them once that you won't take that they will back down.
I'm actually a very optimistic, positive type--but also realistic. I handle things quite well when many would crumble under the stress. But I see a lot of people who try so hard and can't rise above it--people who deserve better. Things just aren't always as black and white as some would like to paint them.

Last edited by Whyte Byrd; 08-20-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Nice BUT not true at all.

Does a lady that gets killed due to an abusive husband get that because she's abusive? I doubt it.....

Ron
I'd say it's a fact of life that we get what we give. A person who is rude, abusive and abrasive wouldn't endear themselves to others. It's just basic human psychology at play; people don't respond well to persons who mistreat them.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
I like the positivity of the OP post and enjoyed the song experiment.

Here's another experiment to try: Say hello and smile at every stranger you pass today...or even every 5 strangers (doesn't matter) and see what happens.

(I know what happens cause I've done it, but it's an interesting experiment with the 'you get what you give' and 'just be nice and the world will be nice to you' idea)
why does anybody owe strangers anything?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:06 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
When people treat you a certain way and it upsets you take a step back. Often times we are blind to our way of treating others. Once you step back you will realize that what you do affects others around you either positive or negative.

Example: Sing a really catchy song at work. Not the whole song. Just a few lines of the chorus and then stop. Do it about every 15 minutes. Just a few seconds of the song. Then wait.

Do you find others around the office singing that song? They might not even know where they heard it or got it from. They just start singing it too.

So if you want people to treat you nice....be nice. You do have the power to influence people for the good or the bad ya know.

Your thoughts....
and we are how we think and believe

Old 08-20-2009, 01:12 PM

59 posts, read 106,472 times
Quote:
When people treat you a certain way and it upsets you take a step back. Often times we are blind to our way of treating others. Once you step back you will realize that what you do affects others around you either positive or negative.

Example: Sing a really catchy song at work. Not the whole song. Just a few lines of the chorus and then stop. Do it about every 15 minutes. Just a few seconds of the song. Then wait.

Do you find others around the office singing that song? They might not even know where they heard it or got it from. They just start singing it too.

So if you want people to treat you nice....be nice. You do have the power to influence people for the good or the bad ya know.

Your thoughts....
I agree with you, Funnyman. Reading your thread here made me smile. Yes, as others have written here, being nice doesn't always do the trick. And I don't think what you're trying to say here applies to the wife-beaters or the abusive types as some have mentioned. Let's face it - there are creeps out there and miserable people who will never be happy no matter how kind a person is to them. We can't control other people of course. But we can make the decision to be positive and kind to other people and cheerful in life regardless of the actions of others. I think things are what we make them. Two thumbs up to you for your positive (happy) approach!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:23 PM

295 posts, read 667,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
why does anybody owe strangers anything?
I guess I should have put my findings in the experiment.

Here they are:
Some people smile back
Some people ignore
Some people give you a rude look back

My actual point was that you can't control what other people do nor how they react. You can only control your own actions.

Does that mean you shouldn't smile? NO!

You just have to make your world minimally affected by the reactions of others.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
I guess I should have put my findings in the experiment.

Here they are:
Some people smile back
Some people ignore
Some people give you a rude look back

My actual point was that you can't control what other people do nor how they react. You can only control your own actions.

Does that mean you shouldn't smile? NO!

You just have to make your world minimally affected by the reactions of others.
of course. But smiling at strangers just seems odd.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
....All I was saying is don't take anything remotely close to that of an abusive person.

Ok well, that's all very fine and good in theory but in actuality standing up to a bully in real life doesn't always mean you'll get them to back down, in a lot of cases it'll just get you dead or very close to it.

SEPARATE from that ^ though, I agree that it's a better life if you can go into the world being open and friendly and that you'll often come across like minded people and it's great to connect with others on that level.

I think if you can go into the world that way it's a great thing, but I don't judge those who for whatever reason, cannot.

I treat people as I would like to be treated, sometimes we're on the same page, sometimes we are not.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:12 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,412,990 times
Tried to rep ya, but that stupid box always pops up.. go figure..

You're exactly right.. If you have a positive attitude towards life then people notice.. It's contagious.

Besides that, it just makes people wonder...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships