Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:08 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Is this a good idea, or a bad one? I haven't gone canoeing for 20 years, but I remember enjoying it. Figured two people, a canoe, maybe a picnic lunch or a trip to a nearby fast food place (I wonder if that ice cream shop is still open?)

Opinions?
I’d do it but only if I’d been dating the guy for awhile. I’m a habitual complainer and a new person would think I’m nuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,263 times
Quote:
Is this a good idea, or a bad one? I haven't gone canoeing for 20 years, but I remember enjoying it. Figured two people, a canoe, maybe a picnic lunch or a trip to a nearby fast food place (I wonder if that ice cream shop is still open?)

Opinions?
I love hiking and going to the mountains, so I LOVE this idea! I wouldn't recommend it for a first date, but it would definitely be a very fun/exciting date to go on after you know the person a little better. Thumbs up for you

Old 08-21-2009, 01:53 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:

Opinions?
Personally, I'd find that an awesome date. But then again, I'm a bit of an odd one.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:20 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
A great idea if you pick the right place and one of you has some recent experience. If not, go with a friend first. Canoing can be romantic and wonderful, or horrid. I used to do this often so I have some suggestions:

1. Stay off lakes. Lake canoeing is hard, not as pretty and often extremely frustrating. Find a shallow river with a mild current that runs through rural areas.

2. Find a canoe trip with some interesting stops along the way. A cider mill, a historic town, a rope swing, Almost anything can break up what can be monotonous after a while.

3. Not too rural. Make sure you can get help or a tow if things do not got well. Save the really fun rural trips for when you know each other really well.

4. Bring loads of water, sunblock and bug spray. Sunglasses with a sports band are a good idea too.

5. Make sure everyone has a jacket, an extra pair of shoes, and a plastic bag to keep them dry.

6. Check the weather.

7. Rent a canoe. Even if you own one. It is not very romantic to ask your date to help you lift a heavy canoe off of and onto your car or truck.

8. Do not bring your dog.

9. PLan a short trip. A canoe trip can turn really nasty and if you have four or five hours to go, it can be hell. Pick a run that is no more than 2-4 hours long. THat elasve time to stop in neat places and dangle you feet int he water, swim in a deep pool, chat, float aimlessly, etc.

10. Camera (waterproof).

11. Do not fish along the way.

12. If you can afford it, stach a really nice picnic lunch in a cooler or coolers along the way. I used to use one styrofoam cooler with dry ice for sodas and cold stuff and one with a chemical heating thingy for warm foods. It is really neat to pull a warm four course meal and a cold bottle of champagne out of the bushes in the middle of nowhere half way though your canoe trip.

13. Make sure that your date dresses in expendable clothing and leaves their cell phone, IPOD etc in the car. Some people are really attached to their things and if they get wet or ruined, will ahve a miserable day. Bring you cell phone in case you need one, put it in a ziplock bag. Bring an extra bad or two in case your date insists on toting valuable electronics along.

14. I usually suggest jumping in the water at the beginning of the trip. You may be wet and uncomfortable the rest of the day, but you will nto be afraid to tip over or of splashing each other. Just get the getting wet part out of the way at the beginning.

15. Do not be afraid to drift in silence. Many people find silence uncomfortable and will chatter away to prevent it. Drifing in silence in a canoe is relaxing, romantic and very companionable.

16. Do not bring friends. A canoe race or demolition derby is not a fun date.

17. It is silly to say this, but sometimes necessary. Do not bring your cell phone and text your friends on the trip. Cell phone stays in the bag.

rowboats are nice, but do nto plan to go anywhere. They are slow and very difficult in the wind. If you are going to row to an island for a picnic, check out the island first. Goose poop is not romantic.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:28 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A great idea if you pick the right place and one of you has some recent experience. If not, go with a friend first. Canoing can be romantic and wonderful, or horrid. I used to do this often so I have some suggestions:

1. Stay off lakes. Lake canoeing is hard, not as pretty and often extremely frustrating. Find a shallow river with a mild current that runs through rural areas.

2. Find a canoe trip with some interesting stops along the way. A cider mill, a historic town, a rope swing, Almost anything can break up what can be monotonous after a while.

3. Not too rural. Make sure you can get help or a tow if things do not got well. Save the really fun rural trips for when you know each other really well.

4. Bring loads of water, sunblock and bug spray. Sunglasses with a sports band are a good idea too.

5. Make sure everyone has a jacket, an extra pair of shoes, and a plastic bag to keep them dry.

6. Check the weather.

7. Rent a canoe. Even if you own one. It is not very romantic to ask your date to help you lift a heavy canoe off of and onto your car or truck.

8. Do not bring your dog.

9. PLan a short trip. A canoe trip can turn really nasty and if you have four or five hours to go, it can be hell. Pick a run that is no more than 2-4 hours long. THat elasve time to stop in neat places and dangle you feet int he water, swim in a deep pool, chat, float aimlessly, etc.

10. Camera (waterproof).

11. Do not fish along the way.

12. If you can afford it, stach a really nice picnic lunch in a cooler or coolers along the way. I used to use one styrofoam cooler with dry ice for sodas and cold stuff and one with a chemical heating thingy for warm foods. It is really neat to pull a warm four course meal and a cold bottle of champagne out of the bushes in the middle of nowhere half way though your canoe trip.

13. Make sure that your date dresses in expendable clothing and leaves their cell phone, IPOD etc in the car. Some people are really attached to their things and if they get wet or ruined, will ahve a miserable day. Bring you cell phone in case you need one, put it in a ziplock bag. Bring an extra bad or two in case your date insists on toting valuable electronics along.

14. I usually suggest jumping in the water at the beginning of the trip. You may be wet and uncomfortable the rest of the day, but you will nto be afraid to tip over or of splashing each other. Just get the getting wet part out of the way at the beginning.

15. Do not be afraid to drift in silence. Many people find silence uncomfortable and will chatter away to prevent it. Drifing in silence in a canoe is relaxing, romantic and very companionable.

16. Do not bring friends. A canoe race or demolition derby is not a fun date.

17. It is silly to say this, but sometimes necessary. Do not bring your cell phone and text your friends on the trip. Cell phone stays in the bag.

rowboats are nice, but do nto plan to go anywhere. They are slow and very difficult in the wind. If you are going to row to an island for a picnic, check out the island first. Goose poop is not romantic.
Too many rules. I have more fun on dates that aren't planned and methotically thought through. Besides, if something goes wrong, you KNOW you're going to be laughing about it later...

Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Too many rules. I have more fun on dates that aren't planned and methotically thought through. Besides, if something goes wrong, you KNOW you're going to be laughing about it later...
Not for an early date.

I always planned early dates fairly well. It is romantic for your date to know that you were thiinking of them and planning for their enjoyment. I love spontaneous dates and vacations. My typical vaction would be to pick a driection and drive that way until I saw something neat or got tired. However a cnoe trip, especially for an early date, should be well planned. It is very easy to have an incrediblly miserable time, especially if your date is not easy going or if they are in a bad mood. On a canoe trip you cannot jusy say this is not working lets go do something else. You are committed. I have been on some awful trips.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not for an early date.

I always planned early dates fairly well. It is romantic for your date to know that you were thiinking of them and planning for their enjoyment. I love spontaneous dates and vacations. My typical vaction would be to pick a driection and drive that way until I saw something neat or got tired. However a cnoe trip, especially for an early date, should be well planned. It is very easy to have an incrediblly miserable time, especially if your date is not easy going or if they are in a bad mood. On a canoe trip you cannot jusy say this is not working lets go do something else. You are committed. I have been on some awful trips.
Simple solution: If my date was in a bad mood or nor easy going, I would not being going out with them in the first place. Why would I want that in my life?

Old 08-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Simple solution: If my date was in a bad mood or nor easy going, I would not being going out with them in the first place. Why would I want that in my life?
So if someone is ever in a bad mood, you dump them?

Then you are single and will remain so.

Everyone had bad days. Even easy going people are nto always easy going. I am an extremely laid back go withthe flow kind of person. However there are days when I am very uptight and apt to explode in a fit of anger, especially on the mornings when I cannot find matching socks.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:11 PM

I'm rarely in a bad mood, and I'm not attracted to people that have more than occasional bad days. If they're in a bad mood, we don't go canoeing.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
what a wonderful idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships