Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times

Advertisements

I don't have kids, probably won't have kids and have a limited tolerance to kids.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd prefer to be sucked through a jet engine than be around kids. There are times when I enjoy spending time with kids but I tend to limit my exposure so as to avoid the things I don't like. Things that kids have no control over like them turning into Regan from The Exorcist when they're over tired, hungry or needing to relieve themselves.

I can be patient around them and can deal with them competently enough when they are doing their Regan impersonation, we have fun when we're together and I often enjoy their company but I find them exhausting, particularly if they're over excited or hopped up on sugar AND I know that I can return them to their parents at any point when I've had enough.

I should probably add that I do alright with "my own kids" (nieces, nephews, kids of close friends) but other people's kids.......

Can I ask what age group you are in? That seems to determine people's attitudes to kids in a lot of cases. In my experience younger women seem to want them a good deal more than older women. That's not to say that there aren't younger women who know very early on they don't want them but it seems to be an understanding that comes later in life. For some unlucky folk it only comes AFTER they have them. When I say younger I mean women in that late 20s, early 30s group which seems to me to be the time when the clock is ticking loudest. Well then and when a woman is around 18 or 19. Clock seems deafening then.

Also what is it about kids that you can't stand and how often do you have to be around them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 12:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I don't have any children. Mostly because I was married to someone who couldn't help raising them and had issues that would be almost certain to damage any kids we had. I broke the cycle of having babies and then screwing them up. I'll always be glad I was able to do that. I told H I didn't want children consistently. Years later, he told me he always thought I would change my mind.

Down the road I do wonder what I missed out on. Good and bad. I spent decades taking care of elderly parents instead of having my own family as well. Sometimes it sucks to be responsible. We all get to make these choices and we get to have the regrets either way.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:34 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but:

Is anyone else on here childfree? As in don't have kids, don't want kids, don't need kids, would rather be sucked through a jet engine than be around kids? I am, and it is very frustrating at times not meeting anyone else who shares my views, especially those of the opposite sex. I can't stand kids, and it seems like society, especially women, are absolutely in love with them. I can count on one hand the number of people I've met who don't want kids. It seems like my chances of finding childfree-by-choice friends are slim to none, let alone a future wife. Maybe it's just where I live, or is everywhere like this?
You're in the midwest. What you've experienced is common here outside of maybe Chicago.

I don't dislike kids, they're just not for me. I have plenty of nieces and nephews to dote on if I feel the need to be around kids.

Being a parent is just not compatible with the lifestyle I want. I want to be able to come and go as I please. I want to be able to buy a house without worrying about the school district. I want to be able to travel and not have to find a babysitter for 1-2 weeks. etc..

Sure my reasons for not having kids are selfish, but I have yet to hear one benevolent reason why people choose to have biological children.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Don't want kids, don't like kids, have no friends with kids. Do not like my sister that much anymore since she has kids and is always too broke or too stressed to do anything fun with me. She is always mad at me because I do not spend enough time with her children - did anybody even ask me, if I want to become an aunt???Would never date anybody who wants kids - I try to find that out in first dates and now happily married to somebody who doesn't want or likes kids. We hate unbehaved kids in planes, restaurants and other places where you cannot just walk away.All people I know who have kids always complain about being broke, stressed, no time, relationship went bad, envy me for all the free time I have, they get fat, tired all the time, etc. WHY would I want that??? I could go on forever why not having kids.I like the look in the faces of the minivan drivers when they see my little sportscar

Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Also what is it about kids that you can't stand and how often do you have to be around them?
For me, it is more of a financial issue. I know people who make 12 bucks/hr and continue to have like 3, 4 kids, I mean, what kind of future are these kids going to have? Like I said, I am not going to have any kids but even if I had one child, I would need to have at least a 529 college fund, a savings account for my child, be able to afford private school, which is very expensive(although, there are some good public schools), etc.

I don't understand how people can bring children into this world without having any financial means to give them a decent life.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I am moving and want to sell my furniture - somebody called yesterday with a pitty vocie and said, she has 3 children and REALLY needs my entertainment center but only wants to pay 1/4 of what I advertise. Nobody really NEEDS an entertainment center and if you can't feed em, don't breed them!!!!I do not think it is selfish to not have children. I think it is selfish to have own children in a world like this, especially when you don't earn enough to guarantee them a decent education! Why not adopt, that would be unselfish!!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but:

Is anyone else on here childfree? As in don't have kids, don't want kids, don't need kids, would rather be sucked through a jet engine than be around kids? I am, and it is very frustrating at times not meeting anyone else who shares my views, especially those of the opposite sex. I can't stand kids, and it seems like society, especially women, are absolutely in love with them. I can count on one hand the number of people I've met who don't want kids. It seems like my chances of finding childfree-by-choice friends are slim to none, let alone a future wife. Maybe it's just where I live, or is everywhere like this?
Just be patient....there ARE women out there who know there are other things to do in life besides have babies.

Society tells women constantly that's their role and they MUST love it and want it or they are weird.....when you find a woman with the brains and backbone to ignore this you will have somebody worthwhile.....and someone who shares a very important trait with you.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
You're in the midwest. What you've experienced is common here outside of maybe Chicago.

I don't dislike kids, they're just not for me. I have plenty of nieces and nephews to dote on if I feel the need to be around kids.

Being a parent is just not compatible with the lifestyle I want. I want to be able to come and go as I please. I want to be able to buy a house without worrying about the school district. I want to be able to travel and not have to find a babysitter for 1-2 weeks. etc..

Sure my reasons for not having kids are selfish, but I have yet to hear one benevolent reason why people choose to have biological children.
And don't ever let anyone tell you that you're selfish if they imply by having children they're not selfish.

Being selfish is simply doing what YOU want...it is neither good nor bad unless it adveresly affects others.

People who have children are the MOST selfish....they had the kids without considering how the kids feel about it...the parents did what THEY wanted with NO thought to how it would affect others(their kids).....

Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
I don't have children and don't plan to, but I don't identify with this term and the sentiments behind it.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
For me, it is more of a financial issue. I know people who make 12 bucks/hr and continue to have like 3, 4 kids, I mean, what kind of future are these kids going to have? Like I said, I am not going to have any kids but even if I had one child, I would need to have at least a 529 college fund, a savings account for my child, be able to afford private school, which is very expensive(although, there are some good public schools), etc.

I don't understand how people can bring children into this world without having any financial means to give them a decent life.

Well it's a small slip between cup and lip as my Nan would always say. Like most things in life you can't know for certain when you have kids how things are going to turn out in the future. You only need a little thing to go wrong and suddenly you're in financial straights and the kids will need to work after school jobs and get exceptional grades in order to get scholarships. By far I think children are better off with parents who love them and are interested in their well being and are present and interested in their life and their development than any parent who thinks it's all going to work out just fine if I throw money at it.
I know plenty of kids whose parents killed themselves to give them the best of everything and the little bastards grew up to be the most spoiled, entitled poor little rich kids with really bad addiction problems and attitudes to match.

There are no guarantees so people have to make the best decisions they can for themselves and money shouldn't be the only consideration in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships