Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:59 AM

943 posts, read 2,275,366 times

Advertisements

Maybe they just want someone who has a sense of humor.

To be honest I am glad I am not dating, because the shallowness and repetitive quality of many single ads, would turn me off. Why dont people avoid cliche's? I am not telling everyone to be masterful writers, but come on people, are you a cookie cutter or not?

I think in this society, the idea that a romantic partner should fulfill your entire life, including the need to be entertained 24/7 is a topic we could explore more in depth.

Quote:

Often I think people need to step outside themselves and really look at what they are doing. Too many people in this country have been watching too many movies and they have unrealistic expectations of potential partners. It is astonishing how many women I come across that expect their dates to be well off, nice car, six pack abs, nine inch long dong, cool house or pad, designer everything and they have to be a grand entertainment and dining director for them and also certainly they must pay for everything. And then you look at them in ill fitting clothes, overweight and flabby, whiny, complaining, crappy job, dumpy unclean house and you wonder how much crack they are smoking??
I agree. I have met people, both male and female, who seem to think some millionaire celebrity is going to come and sweep them off their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 06:37 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,067,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Two people of similar intelligence, background and education will often (but not always) laugh at the same things.

I think the women on dating sites are wise to say "he has to make me laugh". If she has a dry and witty sense of humor and he is a slapstick kind of guy, they may not hit it off.
Well... I feel that my s/o and friends need to be the typex that have a similar sense of humour (dry and sophisticated) and also that when we are together, we make each other feel happy and it puts a smile on our faces. I don't want a date that just entertains me. I'm not looking for a court jester.

I grew up loving Monty Python and other BBC comedy shows. Meanwhile, my first boyfriend was a Three Stooges man. It wasn't a big deal in the beginning, but later on it was annoying. I also don't much care for comedy movies like Caddyshack. But early SNL is fine.

And with my previous boyfriend, he made me feel tired, tense and old. I never smiled around him. He liked Bill Murray movies. By contrast, the first summer I spent with my current boyfriend, I felt happy, relaxed and we smiled and laughed all the time. We enjoy watching episodes of Black Adder together.

"Must make me laugh" is code that the woman is looking for that special love spark where there is great personal chemistry imo. Think classic old romance movies with the witty banter between Spencer and Tracy, or Cary Grant as the romantic lead. The women who put this into their ads aren't looking for a hot sexual hookup, they want a man that is also great company outside the bedroom. They want good verbal foreplay. They want charm and charisma.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:38 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,726,731 times
Many a laugh can save (or at the very least, help) a relationship. IMO it's a necessity. From my experience, men also love women who make them laugh. As Kaye said, it's also a bonding - a mutual laugh. You know, when each of you laughs and looks at the other.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:52 AM
miu

It's also about a man that doesn't take himself too seriously and isn't afraid to be wrong. It's about not sweating the small problems and blowing them up into a big one.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:08 AM
miu

I suppose that this phrase could also be code for a woman looking for an optimist to date, not a male version of Debbie Downer. And while it's smart to live by commonsense, don't expound on every action needing to be practical with her.

Of course with any long term relationship, we are all there for our mates to vent to us about their work or life woes, but make sure that the rants aren't daily or frequent occurrences. Try to finish your daily summary of events on a lighter note.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:37 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,875,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
By now many of you know I have been on the dating website for a few weeks.

I get my "material" to create threads from the website. Here is today's installment of "The Online Dating Chronicles" (TODC).

I see this A LOT on the profiles of women- "He must be able to make me laugh"

This seems really foolish. If it were a 19y/o I can understand but when your 38.....

What's your take on this........
So you got to be 38 and you don't laugh anymore? That's a drag.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:47 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,968,413 times
I'd never make it a requirement b'c I'm not looking to be entertained but if I were trying to decide between two guys I liked equally and the only big difference was one made me laugh, I'd most likely choose him b'c of how I felt when I was with him. I'm speaking from a personal experience now. This happened.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:03 PM

51,964 posts, read 52,401,739 times
I think also, that most people who are funny are usually bright.

Comedy requires a certain level of intellect in my opinion.

That should please Miu, BTW.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:10 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,731,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well... I feel that my s/o and friends need to be the typex that have a similar sense of humour (dry and sophisticated) and also that when we are together, we make each other feel happy and it puts a smile on our faces. I don't want a date that just entertains me. I'm not looking for a court jester.

They want charm and charisma.
I think Miu hit it on the head. Most women don't want a stand up comedy routine while they're out on a date with a guy who is trying too hard to be funny. Someone with a quick wit and can find the humor in every day life. Not too stiff, but not too campy or slapstick either. It can be annoying as hell to be hanging out with someone who can't hold a serious conversation and is always cracking jokes. There has to be some balance and timing there.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:23 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,902,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
By now many of you know I have been on the dating website for a few weeks.

I get my "material" to create threads from the website. Here is today's installment of "The Online Dating Chronicles" (TODC).

I see this A LOT on the profiles of women- "He must be able to make me laugh"

This seems really foolish. If it were a 19y/o I can understand but when your 38.....

What's your take on this........
Humor is the spice of life Bro. It's here to stay even if you are 60. Sorry. What gets you through the tough times is laughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships