Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:53 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

As someone who has a lot of polyamorous friends, I just thought I'd put it out there that it's extremely uncommon to have more than three or four people in a polyamorous arrangement. For example, I've never met any poly people who are dating the number of people used as examples for spouses in this thread (overall 5, 6, people etc.) I know it exists but I think it's unfair to jump to the idea of that many people in one relationship at first since most polyamorous situations do involve a lower number of people (usually 3, at most 4).

I should also note there are different kinds of polyandry, and other types of polyamory. Polyamory (whether polygamy, polyandry, or mixed gender) doesn't always mean everyone is dating/married to each other. Sometimes A, B, C are all dating/married (a triangle-relationship). Sometimes, A is married to B and to C, but B and C are not married to one another (this is called a V-relationship). Sometimes A and B are married, and date or marry C as a couple (a Y-relationship). Etc.

There is a lot to think about, and polyamory does not always entail one man with several wives all married to him and each other, or one woman with several husbands all married to her and each other. Polyamory and polygamy doesn't always assume one household either. For example, if A is married to B and to C, but B and C are not married to one another, A might spend some time with B at B's house, and some time with C at C's house. A, B, and C might not necessarily be living under the same roof at all times. There are a ton of combinations possible as well, for example, A and B might share a household but only visit C and maybe D together or separately a few times a week, etc. In other words, polyandry, and polyamory in general, entail a lot more possibilities than the one-wife-with-5-husbands-under-one-roof scenario envisioned by most posters in this thread.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 06-01-2012 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
(Wait, were you being facetious? Was that a joke? )
This site is a joke with the female viewers having no sense of ha ha.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
As someone who has a lot of polyamorous friends, I just thought I'd put it out there that it's extremely uncommon to have more than three or four people in a polyamorous arrangement. For example, I've never met any poly people who are dating the number of people used as examples for spouses in this thread (overall 5, 6, people etc.) I know it exists but I think it's unfair to jump to the idea of that many people in one relationship at first since most polyamorous situations do involve a lower number of people (usually 3, at most 4).

I should also note there are different kinds of polyandry, and other types of polyamory. Polyamory (whether polygamy, polyandry, or mixed gender) doesn't always mean everyone is dating/married to each other. Sometimes A, B, C are all dating/married (a triangle-relationship). Sometimes, A is married to B and to C, but B and C are not married to one another (this is called a V-relationship). Sometimes A and B are married, and date or marry C as a couple (a Y-relationship). Etc.

There is a lot to think about, and polyamory does not always entail one man with several wives all married to him and each other, or one woman with several husbands all married to her and each other. Polyamory and polygamy doesn't always assume one household either. For example, if A is married to B and to C, but B and C are not married to one another, A might spend some time with B at B's house, and some time with C at C's house. A, B, and C might not necessarily be living under the same roof at all times. There are a ton of combinations possible as well, for example, A and B might share a household but only visit C and maybe D together or separately a few times a week, etc. In other words, polyandry, and polyamory in general, entail a lot more possibilities than the one-wife-with-5-husbands-under-one-roof scenario envisioned by most posters in this thread.
Polygamy is the general term for having more than one spouse. It is a term not just used socially but also in academic fields like anthropology, sociology and zoology (when it comes to mated bonds between animals).

Polygamy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Polygyny is one type of polygamy with one man to many wives.
Polyandry is another type of polygamy with one woman to many husbands.
Group marriage would be the term for a type of polygamy with many husbands and many wives.

I always thought polyamory was more than one relationship, or having many lovers at once in general (which unlike polygamy specifically, may or may not involve marriage/being married to them). Thus, polyamory is more broad and less specific than polygamy (and may include it).

Old 06-01-2012, 10:15 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Polygamy is the general term for having more than one spouse. It is a term not just used socially but also in academic fields like anthropology, sociology and zoology (when it comes to mated bonds between animals).

Polygamy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Polygyny is one type of polygamy with one man to many wives.
Polyandry is another type of polygamy with one woman to many husbands.
Group marriage would be the term for a type of polygamy with many husbands and many wives.

I always thought polyamory was more than one relationship, or having many lovers at once in general (which unlike polygamy specifically, may or may not involve marriage/being married to them). Thus, polyamory is more broad and less specific than polygamy (and may include it).
My understanding of the term polyamory is that it is pretty much analogous to polygamy, only that it entails dating/having relationships and not just marriage.

And "polygyny" is the term I was searching for...which is why I kept calling specific one-man-with-multiple-wives scenario by the generic term "polygamy".

Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

And "polygyny" is the term I was searching for...which is why I kept calling specific one-man-with-multiple-wives scenario by the generic term "polygamy".
Yeah, it seems that a lot of people seem to think of one man with many wives when they think of polygamy in general (probably because most societies in history have been that way, the polygynous sort, and traditionally polyandrous societies are less common and many haven't heard of them).

Even in pop culture etc., in the media, it seems the vast majority of situations of polygamy that get discussed are "one man with his many wives" to the point where they are almost often used interchangeably.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:04 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2942 View Post
many women would be open to that lifestyle, if it was culturally accepted. Imagine the status you would have if you were able to have enough status to have five men want you enough that they would have to share you? Your children would all benefit from the increased wealth that five men would contribute to the household. All in the household would prosper, looking at it from a financial point of view. Probably some of the men would be bi-sexual, so they would have the added benefit of a male partner and a female partner.
+1

Old 06-02-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Great. The toilet seat would be left up five times as often.

Finally. A man's home is 1/5 his castle!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2942 View Post
Many women would be open to that lifestyle, if it was culturally accepted. Imagine the status you would have if you were able to have enough status to have five men want you enough that they would have to share you? Your children would all benefit from the increased wealth that five men would contribute to the household. All in the household would prosper, looking at it from a financial point of view. Probably some of the men would be bi-sexual, so they would have the added benefit of a male partner and a female partner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
+1
Typical CD and feminist "dreaming in technicolor"!

Old 06-03-2012, 01:43 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I can't even stand having one husband, I can't imagine having more.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:55 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Physically, a man can't handle multiple women.
So far I do not seem to have any issues doing so. Though it is worth noting in many of these relationships the women are together too so it does not all fall at the mans feet to "satisfy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships