Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM

487 posts, read 637,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Personally, I think they are wasting their lives in front of an entertainment cube that offers no real benefit. I also think it is a HUGE sign of immaturity, and that they are still focused on the instant gratification of the game, which is a sign of being immature and unable to focus on something (like reading, education, learning a skill, etc) that will give them something back in the long run.

Go ahead, flame me . Those types of video games have always been verboten in my home.
Studies have shown that video games increase reflexes and even long term planning depending on the type of game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 01:01 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,394,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Studies have shown that video games increase reflexes and even long term planning depending on the type of game.
Yep my bf gaming has def helped my bf when it comes to flexing his fingers

Old 09-02-2009, 01:29 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,182,816 times
What do I think of men who still play video games?

"Yay~!"

I have always failed to see how having video games as a hobby was any different than say... fishing. Everyone has (or rather, should have) a hobby, a distraction and escape from the same, boring schedule. Some people sew, some garden, some fish, some enjoy making arts, some like to forge swords, some like to play video games.

-Signed,
A Female Gamer

Old 09-02-2009, 01:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,215,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Brought to you by the National Video Game Council.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:37 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,182,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Brought to you by the National Video Game Council.
Actually, the University of Rochester (http://www.bcs.rochester.edu/people/daphne/GreenandBavelier.pdf - broken link). ((Never heard of this "National Video Game Council", and a search of it only leads to GameHiker.com))

Or you use this study - funded by a $1.2 million grant from the National Science Foundation. ((Or is their real name the "National Video Game Council"?))

Or even, this study (http://riesenhuberlab.neuro.georgetown.edu/publications/tins2004.pdf - broken link) printed in Trends in Neurosciences.

I could even post about many more, but I'm sure that the hundreds of other studies on the matter were also funded by this mystical "National Video Game Council".

Case in point, I go back to my previous statement: There's no difference between a hobby of fishing and a hobby of video games. To tie into the actual discussion, I wouldn't change my opinion of a guy simply because he plays video games. In fact, as long as a guy's hobby isn't destructive or illegal, I would have no problem with ANY hobby that a guy has.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 09-02-2009 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Actually, the University of Rochester (http://www.bcs.rochester.edu/people/daphne/GreenandBavelier.pdf - broken link).
With a grant from the National Video Game Council. Look, fling enough cash and around and you'll find some academic somewhere who will write just about any phony baloney paper and dignify it as 'research.'

Old 09-02-2009, 02:20 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,438,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
What do I think of men who still play video games?

"Yay~!"

I have always failed to see how having video games as a hobby was any different than say... fishing. Everyone has (or rather, should have) a hobby, a distraction and escape from the same, boring schedule. Some people sew, some garden, some fish, some enjoy making arts, some like to forge swords, some like to play video games.

-Signed,
A Female Gamer
In my opinion it is a different hobby because video games are geared towards kids and teens. I mean, grown adults obsessed with playing fantasy video games with cartoonish creatures and warlocks or whatever just seems over the top.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:27 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,690,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
In my opinion it is a different hobby because video games are geared towards kids and teens. I mean, grown adults obsessed with playing fantasy video games with cartoonish creatures and warlocks or whatever just seems over the top.
It's no different than grown-ups reading Harry Potter. Moderation in everything is the key to living a full life.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,811,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Moderation in everything is the key to living a full life.
I dare you to attempt to moderately use cocaine.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I dare you to attempt to moderately use cocaine.
Once a year? Once a month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships