Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 02:32 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,439,613 times

Advertisements

It's also bad for your health...
Adults Playing Video Games: Health Risks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,237,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
But wait! What about the University of Rochester?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:34 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,007,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
but wait! What about the university of rochester?
lol

Old 09-02-2009, 02:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,400,430 times
Has to be one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time.

Quote:
Women surveyed seemed to use video games for "self- medication" and mood management, but that's not necessarily bad, Weaver tells WebMD.

It's just that women may have latched onto another method of mood management, and that's possibly a positive step, he says.
Video games are seld-medication now? Oh yeah, when my bf pisses me off the very first thing I do is plug in the 360 and start playing Call to Duty

Quote:
"Women may be using video games as a form of digital medication," he tells WebMD. "Women are particularly good at using media to help manage their mood. Women who are experiencing mental health challenges are actually trying to improve their condition through self-distraction."
So how would that differ from television or the internet or reading?

Quote:
The researchers also found that gamers feel they get less social support from friends and family members, and more from fellow gamers.
yeah okay I guess did they go to one of those gamer conventions and interview the really plae guys? My brother (36) has a Wii. He and his kids (teenage boys) often play together. My cousin had his 30th birthday party at an arcade; over 50 adults playing video games and having a great time.

Quote:
Weaver says in a news release that scientists need to do more research to see if there are "digital opportunities" to promote health and prevent disease.
So there's the agenda; Weaver wants some grant money.

This study and several posters are trying to take the extremists and make them sound like the average gamer.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:47 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,187,994 times
Quote:
In my opinion it is a different hobby because video games are geared towards kids and teens. I mean, grown adults obsessed with playing fantasy video games with cartoonish creatures and warlocks or whatever just seems over the top.
Obsession and hobby are two different things. I would probably stray from anyone who is completely "obsessed" with any hobby. Obsession can be a scary thing.

However, using a "fantasy video game" with "cartoonish creatures" and "warlocks" as an escape from the boring routines of reality - nothing wrong with that. Some people escape into their fishing, some into their art, some into their fantasy realms. Dungeons and Dragons, anyone?

So, I agree with you on the obsession part. That is over the top. However, the same can be said for any sort of hobby. I would gladly accept any male regardless of his hobby (as long as its not emotionally/physically destructive or illegal). I'd look more into the substance of the person vice his hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
It's no different than grown-ups reading Harry Potter. Moderation in everything is the key to living a full life.
Pretty much!

Quote:
The researchers also found that gamers feel they get less social support from friends and family members, and more from fellow gamers.
All anyone has to do is read this thread to see why this is true. Too many prejudices and not even open-minds.

Gonna re-iterate my point, within reason, I think everybody should enjoy any hobby that they want to. If y'all want nothing to do with "gamer-males", then that leaves this "gamer-girl" with more options to choose from.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 09-02-2009 at 02:55 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 02:49 PM

282 posts, read 527,000 times
I didn't think men played video games on a regular basis....now BOYS playing, thats a different story

Old 09-02-2009, 02:53 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,439,613 times
I will be honest, I have maybe met one or two "casual gamers" in my entire life. Most of my friends (grown "men") that play hit the world of the warcraft, guitar hero, call of duty, or a football game from the moment they wake up (or get home from work) until bedtime. How their wives and girlfriends put up with it is beyond me.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,187,994 times
Quote:
I will be honest, I have maybe met one or two "casual gamers" in my entire life. Most of my friends (grown "men") that play hit the world of the warcraft, guitar hero, call of duty, or a football game from the moment they wake up (or get home from work) until bedtime. How their wives and girlfriends put up with it is beyond me.
Perhaps then I should formally greet you. Hello Interpol76, I'm Rita, a casual gamer. After work, while I wait for my evening classes to start, I play about 20 minutes of whatever game is in my handheld so that I can pass the time. While I'm not sewing, drawing, fishing, riding roller coasters, or doing any of the other things I like to do, I'll sit down with a good game and use it to help me relax.

Of all the gamers I know, I do know of one person who plans his life around World of Warcraft. If there's anything he wants to do, he'll do it on Tuesday when the servers are getting worked on. This guy will even cancel plans with family (has no local friends) to do an instance or event with his clan buddies. I don't know how his wife deals with it, because I couldn't. While his kids were still living with him, he did neglect them for the game. It's very sad, in my opinion.

However, just because he's a vapid meathead (and I could definitely say worse... and be right) does not mean that I would turn my nose up to any and all video games.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:24 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,225,943 times
From the above link...

"Gamers reported they spent more time on the Internet than non-gamers."

Spending time on the internet personally worries me (gaming or not). I learn quite a bit, but the arguing I engage in is weird. My dh hates it.

Quote:
I read an article a while ago about two people that let their baby die or almost die due to a world of warcraft addiction. That's nuts.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:37 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,708,769 times
Quote:
Typically of the overanalyzation that goes on in society.

Pretty soon they'll come up with a medication for "gamers" or psychotherapy for "gamers" so we can keep the pseudoscience business alive.

Who cares some person plays a video game when they get home from work. Big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships