Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 03:18 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times

Advertisements

I am 18 and I never got into video games. It seems like even some of my peers that used to play video games have outgrown them. But there are some people at my college that spend their free time playing video games. I think it's a waste of time. This is college; get out and meet people. I can't begin to understand why a 30 year old would still be playing video games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 03:42 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I am 18 and I never got into video games. It seems like even some of my peers that used to play video games have outgrown them. But there are some people at my college that spend their free time playing video games. I think it's a waste of time. This is college; get out and meet people. I can't begin to understand why a 30 year old would still be playing video games.
It's a hobby. Same as building models, reading books, etc.

Just because one plays videogames doesn't mean that they're anti-social. I've got plenty of friends, yet my main hobby (outside of cooking) is video games.

Both my father and my father in law are in their 50s and they still enjoy video games. It's a very nice escape from reality.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:08 PM

380 posts, read 691,903 times
Nothing done to the extreme is good. With that said, playing video games is an innocent and fun activity. Heck, I still love to play video games every once-in-a-while! Now, if the man is unemployed and plays video games all day long-in place of looking for a job-that would be a definite turn-off!

Old 09-04-2009, 04:25 PM

339 posts, read 2,205,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KELLI2L View Post
Yep, the kids I've known that play too many computer games have anti-social behavior in many instances. Just make sure they know how to treat other people - speak on the phone and get along in other social gatherings. . . . .
wait, why was I quoted lol? I don't think talking on the phone is the best indicator though. Even though I'm an introvert, I'd rather have a conversation IRL than on the phone . Go figure

Old 09-05-2009, 08:19 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
I don't know how playing video games = hopeless immature anti-social recluse with nos social skills.

By the amount of time some of you post it appears that you spend just as much of your free time online as gamers do playing games. I guess you're not anti-social though because you're actually talking to other people.

Like others have said any hobby done in moderation is fine.

There is a difference between playing once in awhile and playing ALL the time.

Not all video games are childish; I've seen some where it's obvious that most kids wouldn't be able to figure out how to play them anyway. And if he is playing a childish one so what? Maybe he just needs a few minutes of mindless relaxation to unwind. Would you rather him go to a bar, have a few drink and then come home? What do men think of women who read to relax? Are they childish and unable to deal with reality?

If you have an issue with a man having fun in a way that he chooses then leave him alone and go find someone who will only do the hobbies that you authorize so there won't be any problems later down the road.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:38 AM

64 posts, read 185,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Interpol76,

Oh they hate it.
These women are jealous of machines and anything that can give a man joy. It's the same reason why so many guys' wives make them give up their Harleys.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
When I was younger, I played video games and watched a lot of TV. When I look back, I think about how much I wasted and how I could've made better use of that time. Maybe if I had spent one less hour in front of the TV and used that hour instead to go for a jog or bike ride, I would've been in better shape back then.
Why can't you do both?

Old 09-05-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Because who really wants a partner in life who has to be pried off the couch to take care of even minor chores? Who really wants a partner who stares glassy eyed at the monitor 2-3 hours a night? Who wants a partner who prizes his life and his free time so little?
So he's supposed to give up on a hobby that he enjoys so you can nag and boss him around?

Old 09-05-2009, 08:55 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Who wants a partner that can't accept them for what they are?

LOL

I like games, but I am not gaming freak. I only like certain ones and usually am thinking of something else. I loved my golden alone hour in the apt when I could sit down with a beer and my counterstrike.
I can't wait for diablo 3 to come out. I don't know how people can do that and only that though. I always have gone through phases and its usually due to insomnia or just wanting to zone out to something more interactive than the tV etc.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:21 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Nothing wrong with that as long as your time is balanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships