Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 AM

16,907 posts, read 16,146,358 times

Advertisements

I like to play video games and I don't give a dam what anyone thinks about it. If they don't like it, tough. They can hit the road.
~rainroosty~ (mid-fifties)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,394,345 times
My husband enjoys playing video games. He may only play it couple of times a week for few hours accumulatively. I don't see anything wrong with it, it is certainly not a turn-off. It is his way of relaxing and departing from the world. He has his video games, I have my CD forum. Pick your poison.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:15 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,457,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I would have expected it to fade faster than it has, given the fact that the first wave of video game players are well into their 30s and 40s now. The teenagers who were on the Pac-Man and Galaga machines in the early 80s? Forty-something today.

The idea that video games are for kids is something of an American peculiarity. That mindset is not widespread in Japan, for example. Nintendo's (in)famous censorship policies are a Nintendo of America thing; some games in Japan such as role-playing often have more "adult" humor, innuendo and such that were and continue to be common, but when they got translated they were sanitized so as not to court too much controversy around "corrupting America's youth." There is a similar line of thinking around cartoons, as up to the time the Simpsons and even South Park hit it was widely assumed that anything animated was kiddie fare.
I think it's because video games are associated with generation x. Since generation x is seen as the "slacker" generation it no surprise that video games are seen as a lesser form of entertainment.

I personally think video games are no different than board or card games. In fact I'm currently learning how to play chess with the help of a video game.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,409,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
How typically suburban female: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!

Couldn't help noticing that you'd be turned on by a guy making money by developing the very thing that turns you off!

Hey, somebody's gotta pay for my shoe & handbag addiction.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:21 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,851,277 times
Quote:
Nintendo's (in)famous censorship policies are a Nintendo of America thing; some games in Japan such as role-playing often have more "adult" humor, innuendo and such that were and continue to be common, but when they got translated they were sanitized so as not to court too much controversy around "corrupting America's youth." There is a similar line of thinking around cartoons, as up to the time the Simpsons and even South Park hit it was widely assumed that anything animated was kiddie fare.
What's funny is even a lot of those censored "kiddy" type games are still really fun for adults. My friend's Dad got hooked on Mario Galaxy when I was in college. Even though the animation and visuals are geared toward kids, the game itself is fun for everyone.

My family got together one night and played one of those side-scrolling Mario games on the Wii and I swear I've never laughed so hard in my entire life. I was the youngest at 23 years old

Old 09-02-2011, 09:45 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,581,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
What's funny is even a lot of those censored "kiddy" type games are still really fun for adults.
Sure enough. Of course someone with a more sophisticated or productive pastime, like posting on Internet forums, might come around and call him immature for that.

I don't have a Wii. The 360 RRoD'd a couple months ago and, because of more important adult things like paying the bills, getting a replacement will have to wait. So I pulled out the SNES the other day and started playing Super Mario World for the first time in a really long time. Was dismayed to learn that my Zelda: A Link to the Past cartridge doesn't work.

At least it got a lot more use over the years than a pair of shoes or a handbag that spends more time in the closet than anywhere else.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
I find it to be a huge turnoff when a man plays video games. Usually men who still play video games are also immature, out of shape, pale, yeasty, and a bit lazy. That has been my experience anyway...your mileage may vary.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,581,997 times
Quote:
Of course someone with a more sophisticated or productive pastime, like posting on Internet forums, might come around and call him immature for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the very next post
Usually men who still play video games are also immature
...like I was saying.

I'm, like, psychic or something. Or maybe psychotic. Not sure which.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,989,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
You can also tell her that there have been studies(you can look them up when you have time) that says that video games helps improve hand-eye coordination. She's probably too old to even heard of Wii+Fit and the other game consoles with motion controllers.

Video games can be educational depending on the game. There are war strategy games that are historically depicted. I played the Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors series. It took me to look up the characters to find out that they are REAL people and to learn about the time periods. It was interesting.

According to an X-Play site, there was a study by I think it was from Johns Hopkins or Wake Forest that said that the game, L.A. Noir is a great game for people with Asbergers because it helps them recognizes the facial expressions of the characters. (You can look that up too.)
I don't play fighting games but I love watching others play them, especially the elite/harcore pro-players.

I'd also wager that the fighting genre does a far better job at boosting one's overall cognitive ability. It takes a codependent combination of impromptu creativity, strategizing, technique, and a superior dexterity, to excel at fighting games. I doubt that any other genre has managed to achieve similar levels of codepedency..........Talk about irrelevance!

Oh Gaming! How I love thee!

Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,139,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I find it to be a huge turnoff when a man plays video games. Usually men who still play video games are also immature, out of shape, pale, yeasty, and a bit lazy. That has been my experience anyway...your mileage may vary.
Hmmm well I only really play strategy games, because I find they train my brain in ways that actually help me in my job, and because I find them relaxing. Better than watching TV.

And I'm in shape, tan, work full time, change diapers, cook, clean...mow the lawn...

I also have other attributes that the TOS prevents me from getting into.

So there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships