Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 07:46 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,258,494 times

Advertisements

my boyfriend plays video games. he's 32. who cares. we played lego marvel superhoes together. it was really fun. it kills an hour or two here and there. it's entertainment. what's the difference between 2 hours of video games and 2 hours watching a movie?

excessive video game use would maybe be a problem. but excessive anything would most likely be a problem too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,741,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I think its sad that so many men go home and play with a machine. It used to be a guy could go to a bar, hang out with his buddies for awhile, have a couple of belts and then go home. DWI laws and sky high taxes on alcohol ended that. Its left men even more isolated and alone. So many freedoms gone. They've turned so many into machines that work and make tax money to support the govt. and the myriad of welfare programs.
Disagree. Not my experience.

I still play video games and go out with my friends all the time. As well as other people I know. DUIs exist for a reason. Drunk driving kills a lot of people. Idk what's nostalgic about that.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:12 AM

583 posts, read 715,731 times
As long as important things don't take a backseat to it, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's just another thing enjoyable to do to wind down.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:56 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,029,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
my boyfriend plays video games. he's 32. who cares. we played lego marvel superhoes together. it was really fun. it kills an hour or two here and there. it's entertainment. what's the difference between 2 hours of video games and 2 hours watching a movie?

excessive video game use would maybe be a problem. but excessive anything would most likely be a problem too.
No video games in my house and I don't need to kill time.

A guy who sits on his computer for hours every day, ignoring life ... nope. Been there, done that. No more.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:07 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,258,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

A guy who sits on his computer for hours every day, ignoring life ... nope. Been there, done that. No more.
you never have an hour where you are bored and decide to do something? why can't someone choose video games?

Old 04-27-2016, 02:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Quote:
I think its sad that so many men go home and play with a machine. It used to be a guy could go to a bar, hang out with his buddies for awhile, have a couple of belts and then go home. DWI laws and sky high taxes on alcohol ended that. Its left men even more isolated and alone. So many freedoms gone. They've turned so many into machines that work and make tax money to support the govt. and the myriad of welfare programs.
Using bars as an escape from life is just as sad as using gaming to escape from life, for those who do indeed use such pursuits as tools for just that purpose.

I don't think most rational people have a problem with adults making use of entertainment of their own choosing, assuming legal boundaries are followed, etc. It's when it goes past periodic entertainment and on into a preoccupation that supercededs the importance of people and commitments in their lives that the problem comes in. And that's as likely to occur when unwinding at the pub turns into hanging at the pub to avoid going home, just as it would when playing to unwind turns into "didn't talk to or engage with my wife and kids from dinner on, as per usual, because I was in my mancave gaming."

The problem comes if you neglect your life outside of your entertainment/hobbies.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Out of curiosity, is it that different from posting to internet forums pretty often? It's a "touche" kind of thing, but in reality, you can just as easily get sucked into ignoring life by doing exactly what many of us are doing right now as you can when you get sucked into a gaming marathon. Or drinking at the bar for hours. Or reading sci fi novels. It's not like video games are the only way people lose focus in life.

My husband sets a dang timer when he starts reading a particular internet forum (not this one), because he knows how easy it is for it to become a huge timesuck.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:18 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,910,967 times
It's a turnoff for sure. Even though some people might think of it as essentially the same, I'd prefer a guy to be reading, watching TV. Grown men playing video games just makes me think they are immature. Same goes for guys who are obsessed with their college sports teams.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:28 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,029,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Out of curiosity, is it that different from posting to internet forums pretty often? It's a "touche" kind of thing, but in reality, you can just as easily get sucked into ignoring life by doing exactly what many of us are doing right now as you can when you get sucked into a gaming marathon. Or drinking at the bar for hours. Or reading sci fi novels. It's not like video games are the only way people lose focus in life.

My husband sets a dang timer when he starts reading a particular internet forum (not this one), because he knows how easy it is for it to become a huge timesuck.
I don't spend one free minute on internet forums at home. I have a job where my main task is to smile, be pretty and exist. Therefore, I hang around here to kill time until I can go home.

I was married to a guy who played video games and rather sat in the dark room playing with other nerds or teenagers while I wanted to do outdoor activities with him. No more. Done.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 PM

1,544 posts, read 927,331 times
Quote:
Can't say that I agree with this, because I haven't lived it. For one, my boyfriend and I have lives. Video games may be a part of our respective lives, but only a microscopic fraction of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships