Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 02:47 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,849,231 times

Advertisements

I mind and it bugs me. Talking with your spouse can help and it has. He has a healthy balance now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:52 PM

102,226 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I think its sad that so many men go home and play with a machine. It used to be a guy could go to a bar, hang out with his buddies for awhile, have a couple of belts and then go home. DWI laws and sky high taxes on alcohol ended that. Its left men even more isolated and alone. So many freedoms gone. They've turned so many into machines that work and make tax money to support the govt. and the myriad of welfare programs.
Men can come up with better alternatives. Like the guys who go to the gym; that's something that's healthy and also can be conducive to hanging out with buddies (not to mention: women! ).

The US needs something like some European countries have, where the guys hang out in the park and play tournaments with giant chess games. Or like in Central Asia and the Arab world: teahouses or coffeehouses, where politics and current events are discussed and debated ad infinitam. The Starbucks in my former neighborhood would be taken over by middle-eastern cabbies at a certain time of day, and they'd do their cultural thing: discussing life, solving the big problems of the day, and bonding, just like back home.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:16 PM

20,767 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
you never have an hour where you are bored and decide to do something? why can't someone choose video games?
Because I like to date guys who are at least my age or 40+.

In turn, I don't play with barbie dolls anymore either.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:32 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Because I like to date guys who are at least my age or 40+.

In turn, I don't play with barbie dolls anymore either.
Lol at comparing video games to barbie dolls.

Plenty of people ages 40+ play video games. It seems like you wouldn't want your SO to play video games for even 1 minute.

Not all gamers play 24/7, some know how to have a healthy balance.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
It's a turnoff for sure. Even though some people might think of it as essentially the same, I'd prefer a guy to be reading, watching TV. Grown men playing video games just makes me think they are immature. Same goes for guys who are obsessed with their college sports teams.
Lol, how is watching mindless TV any better than playing video games? Reading books is good, but if my SO did that all day, I would complain.

It's sad how there's still a huge stigma surrounding video games. Any hobby is addictive if you're on it 24/7.

While I don't play video games anywhere near as much as I did when I was younger, I still play them on occasion (while having a healthy balance). If a future SO couldn't handle me playing them even a little bit (not 24/7), she's gone, no questions asked.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:41 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
People can do all of those "healthy" things AND still enjoy a game
It's shocking...I know.

I am over 40 and still enjoy the odd game that can catch my interest enough to keep me entertained.

Most of the doom and gloom talk in this thread is talk coming from a place of Inexperience, blanketing and ego.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
People can do all of those things AND still enjoy a game
It's shocking...I know.

I am over 40 and still enjoy the odd game that can catch my interest enough to keep me entertained.

Most of the doom and gloom talk in this thread is talk coming from a place of Inexperience, blanketing and ego
Pretty much.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:47 PM

20,767 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Lol at comparing video games to barbie dolls.

Plenty of people ages 40+ play video games. It seems like you wouldn't want your SO to play video games for even 1 minute.

Not all gamers play 24/7, some know how to have a healthy balance.
Well, I guess we are not compatible.

Some guys don't date women with curly hair. I don't date video gamers anymore. I would rather be with a smoker who stutters and has a wart in his face.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Well, I guess we are not compatible.

Some guys don't date women with curly hair. I don't date video gamers anymore. I would rather be with a smoker who stutters and has a wart in his face.
Sorry you dated gamers that played them 24/7, but just know that not every gamer is like that.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:03 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,195,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
People can do all of those "healthy" things AND still enjoy a game
It's shocking...I know.

Most of the doom and gloom talk in this thread is talk coming from a place of Inexperience, blanketing and ego.
This. Very close-minded. It's like some don't think you can have multiple hobbies. One who enjoys games can still want to read now and again. Or travel. Just because you had a spouse who was obsessed with gaming doesn't mean all gamers are like that. It's like the stigma around older virgins. There's the blanket belief that all older virgins are crazy, and will start stalking the 1st person they have sex with. Sex and games are not the problem. it's the person.

If one is obsessed with gaming, it's their problem that they already had, not the games. This is for anything. some people are just very obsessive. So when they like something, they go overboard with it, and want to devote any and all spare time to it. And you can get that way with anything. That's why addicts exist. Addiction to sex, games, drugs, men/women, shows, tx characters, etc. Looking at some who suffer limerence. Where they're addicted to certain people, and are obsessed with them - it's basically a perverse and more extreme form of infatuation.

Last edited by HappyRain; 04-27-2016 at 04:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships