Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
In 1966 my little brother was 11 years old.He called me wanting to come out and spend a few weeks with me in California and learn to surf. But I was "too busy." During those few weeks that he should have been with me my little brother was murdered at an Arbys restaurant in Gary Indiana. Truth is i wasnt busy at all. Just didnt feel like putting up with my little brother. And was afraid he would cut into my partying time. I should have sent him a plane ticket. I still think of him EVERY DAY!
I'm with you Capt. In 1981 my high school boyfriend and I got into a stupid fight. I wouldn't talk to him so he caught a ride to school with a guy who lived in my neighborhood that drove me to school every day. He was there just to talk to me. We got into an accident on the way to school and my boyfriend and the driver were both killed.
I have never forgotten him or that day. Every day when I put on my make- up, I look at the scar on my face that I recieved in the accident. Every day I think about the fact that he would not be dead if I hadn't been so stupid. He shouldn't have even been in the car!
I guess we all learn lessons from our pain. I never, ever let my husband or my children leave the house angry or without saying "I love you to them." You just never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:27 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times
I'd go back to November 25, 2004--the day before I lost the greatest man in my entire life. He died 8 hours before I arrived.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I know exactly how you feel! Many years ago I had a chance to buy into an IPO and turned it down. It was for a little startup company called SNAPPLE!
Here's another one. I was in the early stages of my company, working almost around the clock. My business partner at the time, however, was a complete flake and a total boat anchor who did nothing but dream up more pie-in-the-sky projects for the rest of us to do.

Towards the end, when it was apparent that he wasn't working out, he came to me with another project. It was this band he had heard about that needed a promotional campaign. He wanted me to stop what I was doing and drive 150 miles to the meeting. Now, at the time, I'm thinking somebody's son's garage band, and I said "Are you kidding me? I'm herding cats as it is."

Turns out the band was the Bare Naked Ladies, right before they hit it big in the mid 90s.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
I'm with you Capt. In 1981 my high school boyfriend and I got into a stupid fight. I wouldn't talk to him so he caught a ride to school with a guy who lived in my neighborhood that drove me to school every day. He was there just to talk to me. We got into an accident on the way to school and my boyfriend and the driver were both killed.
I have never forgotten him or that day. Every day when I put on my make- up, I look at the scar on my face that I recieved in the accident. Every day I think about the fact that he would not be dead if I hadn't been so stupid. He shouldn't have even been in the car!
I guess we all learn lessons from our pain. I never, ever let my husband or my children leave the house angry or without saying "I love you to them." You just never know.
You can't blame yourself in a tragedy like that - everything happens for a reason, cliche yes but true. We all are predetermined as to when it's our time to go. No one has any control over that unless you are shooting someone or killing them by some other means...
When someone is accidentally killed and I mean BY accident - that's predetermined.
It doesn't do you any good to dwell and think that you somehow caused it.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:35 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
...to a particular moment in your life and be able to change it, that being for good or bad, what would it be and why?
That's a dangerous question. I can think of several things I might have changed but by learning form my mistakes, I probably avoided making them later.

However, I missed the opportunity to get a job where I work now, about 7 years before I switched. That delay was a big mistake but who is to say how things might have gone? I've been lucky over the past 12 years, working for a series of great bosses.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:35 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
You can't blame yourself in a tragedy like that - everything happens for a reason, cliche yes but true. We all are predetermined as to when it's our time to go. No one has any control over that unless you are shooting someone or killing them by some other means...
When someone is accidentally killed and I mean BY accident - that's predetermined.
It doesn't do you any good to dwell and think that you somehow caused it.
Thank you. I know I am not to blame. I guess I just regret that it happened. He was a very good person. A better person than I was. His legacy is that his death caused me to be a better human being. It made me realize that life can be cut short at any moment and that we should live it to the fullest and with kindness. I will never know why I was spared and these two wonderful young men were not. I guess I am not supposed to know why.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:21 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,762 times
I woulda f*cked the living hell outta this drop dead gorgeous redhead!!!!!!!!!!
My one regret.
Well...I also woulda savored this hottttt blonde guy instead of rushing it...
Really, my only regrets involve not taking advantage of certain sexual situations.
I've had a cool life! And I'm grateful.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,648 times
I would have forgone that one night stand drunk that one night.

I would have finished college and began a career in something/anything.

I would have saved my dollars any way I could for the rainy days I live now.

I would have kept my medical insurance on cobra after my divorce, so that when I arrived back home, and found out I was pregnant....

I could have received proper medical attention when it was ectopic, and not had reconstructive surgery to save my life.

But....all in all, everything happened for a reason, and these things I experienced gave me all the best material for the novels I write now, that hopefully will be a success in the future. I may not have such a deep connection with how precious life really is, if I hadn't been brought back from the dead.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:29 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
Sorry to hear about your brother capt. Dan. I hope someday you can forgive yourself because you didn't have any idea and you didn't murder him but I do understand how you would feel somehow responsible or maybe think that you could have prevented it from happening. That's gotta be a tough thing to carry with you all this time.

I would never have spent 12 years with the 2nd ex ....not going to go into a long story here but well, life would surely be different for me and I wouldn't have had such a long road recovering my lost selfrespect...I wasted a lot of good years trying to make someone else happy.
What's done is done and there's no point in rehashing it. You live and learn.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,134 times
I would've let my now ex-husband keep going the first time he left when my son was instead of 6 years later. Would've been much easier to start over at 30. Instead I was miserable for six more years. Eh, live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships