Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:16 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Doesn't apply to "half-breed" Native Americans. We are generally seen as white by both our cultures. Our tribes often won't accept us or if they do they still treat us as outcasts. And the Caucasians are funny IMO that they often get offended if you ever bring up the fact that you are not "all-white" like how dare you be so ungrateful to the white people and not want to claim them as your own. Its odd how no one argues with someone who is half-white half-black if they claim black heritage or a half-Asian claims their Asian ancestry. But if a half-white half-Native American claims to be Native every white person calls you a liar because "you're skin isn't dark enough" or "you have brown hair not black" or "no you aren't Native because you didn't grow up on a reservation". A lot of racial identity is actually from the culture you grew up in and the people in your family you were influenced by and not always the color of your skin. Many people don't seem to get that.
I said "in the past" in my post as there was considerable prejudice against them 100-150 years ago from the Euro-Americans. I didn't know that there was rejection from their own tribes today for those of mixed Native American/"white" genetic heritage. Every person I have ever know who had Native American ancestry was quick to brag about it. Same with Italians. Even if they were only 1/16 (or less) Native American or Italian, it was still a point of pride with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:34 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
Nope, I never... I am an equal opportunity lover...

Old 04-28-2010, 09:56 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I said "in the past" in my post as there was considerable prejudice against them 100-150 years ago from the Euro-Americans. I didn't know that there was rejection from their own tribes today for those of mixed Native American/"white" genetic heritage. Every person I have ever know who had Native American ancestry was quick to brag about it. Same with Italians. Even if they were only 1/16 (or less) Native American or Italian, it was still a point of pride with them.
Sure many of us half breeds are proud of our Native heritage. But that still doesn't mean our tribe is proud of us. Or our parents or grandparents who are disappointed that we don't look "Indian enough".

Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Well, since we are talking "ETHNICITY" and NOT "RACE", I can say that I have rejected someone based on that and that alone.

I rejected one of those "Yo!! Im fenda"/"Im is....."/"Y'all be"/"lawdy lawdy"/"have a blessed day"/ghetto ethnic black chicks before. Not into that type and never will be. But I have dated some beautiful non-ethnic black chicks.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
I don't really give off any "vibes" to anybody to whom I am not attracted. Most people can sense when you're not interested. I'm honest and that's the best thing for all.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 AM

897 posts, read 1,687,864 times
I've been rejected by Mexican Women in the past because I wasn't Mexican. I think most Latinas wont date non-Latino Men.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Barack Obama has made it clear that he thinks of himself as black. Don't know about Halle Berry. However, most people I have known who have one black parent and one white parent have ended up identifying more with their black parent's race than with the white parent's race. This is likely societal pressures that won't let them be "half-white". Was probably like this in the past for "half-breeds" who had one Native American parent and one Euro-American parent.
Actually he hasn't. All that he's done is accepted that the media and public at large see him as black. When he filled out his census form, he listed himself as African American. He could've checked off "mixed", but just like he did during his presidential campaign, he chose to downplay his race as much as possible. If he had put "mixed," the media would've made a big deal out of it and I'm sure people in the African-American community might've even taken issue with him over it, possibly interpreting it as him distancing himself from other blacks. I think what's clear is that Obama doesn't really like to make an issue out of race. If you've ever heard him talk about Affirmative Action, he always discusses more in terms of class than race.

As for Halle Berry, from what I understand, she was raised primarily by her white mother, but because you couldn't tell her white heritage by looking at her, she probably identified more with blacks. As an a public figure, I'm sure she felt a certain responsibility to other blacks, particularly in Hollywood where blacks have a hard time making inroads. So if that means wearing the "black" label even if that's not how she may see herself, something tells me she's OK with people thinking of her that way.

When it comes to dating, I think a lot of people just have a hard time looking past race. They have a lot of preconceptions that they just can't shake. It's one thing to reject someone because you don't find them attractive and a lot of times, it could be because of features of that person's race. That doesn't make you a racist. But if you're automatically ruling someone out because you assume their family won't accept you or that you'll never be able to relate to one another because you're not the same race, then it begs the question. How can you be so sure? I for one would rather keep an open mind.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:52 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Most people to be in a relationship with someone with their own kind.

For example: Asians with Asians, Caucasian with Caucasians, etc.

Is there anyone here that have been in a interracial relationship and how did that turn out?

I'm a perfect candidate for this thread. I'm asian, and I only date white men. I'm not attracted to asian men at all. I don't find indian men attractive (at least the men that I have met) and I'm only attracted to some black men. I don't exactly know why this is so, but I have only been in relationships with white men, and they work out great. My mom, however, is very traditional, and really wants me to settle down with an asian man. I told her that I lived with my brother for a while...

Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
I'm a perfect candidate for this thread. I'm asian, and I only date white men. I'm not attracted to asian men at all. I don't find indian men attractive (at least the men that I have met) and I'm only attracted to some black men. I don't exactly know why this is so, but I have only been in relationships with white men, and they work out great. My mom, however, is very traditional, and really wants me to settle down with an asian man. I told her that I lived with my brother for a while...
I am attracted to girls of all ethnicities. Its good that you know who you are attracted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships